Palm Springs Council Votes 3-1 To Allow Pot Co-ops

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Medical marijuana collectives and cooperatives will now be allowed in Palm Springs, following a vote Wednesday by City Council.

The measure will go into effect in 30 days following a second reading, officials said.

Wednesday night's approval means Palm Springs is the first city in Riverside County to allow these facilities.

"This is an incredible first step," Councilwoman Ginny Foat said.

The Palm Springs City Council voted 3-1, with Councilman Lee Weigel voting no and Mayor Pro Tem Chris Mills absent, in favor of the ordinance, which allows two collectives and/or cooperatives to operate within city limits.

This means several of the estimated seven dispensaries now operating in Palm Springs illegally will have to close.

City Attorney Doug Holland said the city is close to filing lawsuits against two of the existing dispensaries and is still gathering evidence against five more.

"If they are illegal, they ought to be shut down as soon as possible," Mayor Steve Pougnet said.

In addition to the two-dispensary limit, the law also mandates:

Dispensaries can only be located in areas of the city zoned commercial manufacturing or for industrial use, called M-1 or M-2 zones.

Dispensaries would have to submit applications to the city, detailing their security plans and certifying that they are organized as nonprofit collectives and cooperatives as required under state law and guidelines issued last year by state Attorney General Jerry Brown.

If selling medical marijuana in edible form, dispensaries would need a state license to sell food.

Owners and employees would be required to have criminal background checks.

Dispensaries would be required to take monthly inventories of the medical marijuana in stock. They could sell only marijuana grown by collective members.

Check or credit card payments. No cash.

Foat said she didn't want to see a requirement that bars be placed on windows.

Pougnet and Councilman Rick Hutcheson agreed.

Weigel asked that in addition to collectives not being placed within 500 feet of schools, that they also not be within 500 feet of day care and/or child care facilities.

Current dispensaries will have a 90-day window once the law is passed to submit an application for one of the two city permits, with final approval by vote of the City Council.

"I'm not thrilled with it, but it's a step in the right direction," said Lanny Swerdlow, president of the Marijuana Anti-Prohibition Project, a patients advocacy group.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Desert Sun, The (Palm Springs, CA)
Copyright: 2009 The Desert Sun
Website: MyDesert.com | The Desert Sun | Palm Springs news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Palm Springs, California
Authors: Stefanie Frith, and K Kaufmann

Re: Palm Springs Council Votes 3-1 To Allow Pot Coops

Great news. The one thing I see as a problem is the check or credit card no cash. My credit went down hill while I was on Chemo due to being fired by my job. Fired me while I was on treatment and could not work. Poor people like myself only deal in cash only. :peace:
trekie

Re: Palm Springs Council Votes 3-1 To Allow Pot Coops

Some places sell pre-paid credit cards.Put some $$$ on it & use that.
Might not be the best solution but,it's better than nothing.

Back
Top Bottom