People of the forums, help me decide on a strain!

Which genetics should I go with first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello everyone,

I’m planning to set up my tent again soon and I need some help deciding on genetics. I will only be buying regular seed, no feminized. I want to be able to harvest seed and keep a fairly large quantity of beans for my anytime use. As far as what I’m looking for in genetics; I guess you could say I want a classic indica/indica-heavy hybrid(hence the choices you’re given). I’m looking for a nice heavy and potent yielder (aren’t we all), that’s not too fussy because I will be using this strain as my main practice strain.
I’ll be growing under LEDs and in soil exclusively, and I do not plan on keeping any mothers. Only sowing from seed. I also plan to manifold my plants.
A little background info; I’ve done a couple of grows already but by no means do I have my methods down pat. One was a single plant that turned out to be a male, and the other was a couple of autos that barely yielded a half ounce.

The Options
Master Kush: comes from a couple of landrace Afghani plants. Has won multiple indica cups back in the late 80s. Also who doesn’t wanna grow kush plants??
Northern Lights: one of the most legendary strains in the world. Parent genetics to famous strains like shiva skunk and super silver haze.
LA Confidential: a cross between OG LA Affie and Afghani. Has won multiple awards. Probably the most potent choice of the three, but perhaps the lowest yielding strain of the three as well.
You may vote twice.
Thank you 420mag forums!!

Quantum Kush by home grown natural wonders. Regular only. The pacific northwest genetics are awesome and the local farms here in Oregon produce only regular seeds as they claim it enhances the stability of genetics from seed to seed. I tend to agree, I am growing Oregon Diesel right now in my current grow journal and I tell you what, it is a vigorous plant. Very easy to grow, very healthy, and I only wish I had enough space and legal plant limit to have some quantum kush in a bigger tent along with it. Of the strains on your list I have only grown master kush from Nirvana seeds and it was a heavy yielder outdoor, cannot speak on its indoor tendencies but it certainly was resistant to bud rot outdoor.

oh, if you ever want to cross over into sativa, Moby Dick is by far the best smelling, loudest, piniest, lemoniest, most unique strain I have ever grown and smoked, multiple occassions. Extremely high yielding, large plant with exceptional levels of THC that give it a super relaxed high after its initial punch from THCV.

Thanks for the input DET! I will keep Moby Dick on my radar when expand from my initial vision. I will check out the quantum kush and Oregon diesel to see what’s up with them. For my first seed purchase I really want to stick to the roots of excellent cannabis. Later on I can branch out to some of the newer stuff!

Thanks for the input DET! I will keep Moby Dick on my radar when expand from my initial vision. I will check out the quantum kush and Oregon diesel to see what’s up with them. For my first seed purchase I really want to stick to the roots of excellent cannabis. Later on I can branch out to some of the newer stuff!
Id go with master kush if you're looking for good solid genetics. Cant go wrong with an old skool kush. Seedsman has some super reliable house genetics and exclusive strains that are pretty cheap compared to most just for future reference. Blessings!

If I could only grow one strain, it'd be Critical Skunk from Mr Nice seeds.. can pick up 15-20 seeds for around $15-$25 from the auctions... Look into master Kush and northern lights, more than likely buying a name... look at master Kush Skunk from mns...

Well, I plan on buying from MSNL, a seed bank in holland. They have a really good promotion going on. 10 mk, la con, or nl seeds(among others, theses were just my finalists) for 20 bucks and you get 5 free skunk #1 regular seeds(choose one of the specified payment methods and they give you 10). I figure 20 bucks for 10 of one type and 10 of skunk #1 was the best deal I was gonna find

Yeah if you’re looking for indica check out master kush it smokes pretty awesome. Quantum kush is supposed to be pretty awesome with a lineage of mothers decades in the making, but Oregon Diesel I believe is a more energetic high, so maybe Moby Dick and Oregon Diesel aren’t what you’re looking for. Alien OG or Tahoe Kush are both very solid strains that are indica heavy. Critical + by dinafem and StrawBerry Banana by DNA genetics are both great strains, the latter is hard to find I believe.

One strain I can say to watch out for is Holy grail Kush. I read on seedfinder and many other strain review sites that it has been known to hermie at random, and has unstable genetics. I got one for free so I’ll see what happens when I grow that one, I’ll journal it for sure.

Yeah if you’re looking for indica check out master kush it smokes pretty awesome. Quantum kush is supposed to be pretty awesome with a lineage of mothers decades in the making, but Oregon Diesel I believe is a more energetic high, so maybe Moby Dick and Oregon Diesel aren’t what you’re looking for. Alien OG or Tahoe Kush are both very solid strains that are indica heavy. Critical + by dinafem and StrawBerry Banana by DNA genetics are both great strains, the latter is hard to find I believe.

One strain I can say to watch out for is Holy grail Kush. I read on seedfinder and many other strain review sites that it has been known to hermie at random, and has unstable genetics. I got one for free so I’ll see what happens when I grow that one, I’ll journal it for sure.
Alien OG is one of my favorites to smoke for sure, how does it grow?

Its critical mass you all want, not the cheap copies of.. you will find massive difference, for the better :thumb::passitleft:

Alien OG is one of my favorites to smoke for sure, how does it grow?

Slightly larger plant than Tahoe Og Kush, grows bushy with a faster flowering time of 58-65 days, higher yielding than your typical OG plant. As Grizzwald said Ciritical Mass is one I hadnt thought of, or again Critical + by dinafem is a high yielding kush. When it comes to pot Genetics are everything in the start.

The LA Confidential is probably the best strain of the ones you listed. The Master Kush will have some great plants as will the Northern Lights. The LA can do what the others do plus it will have some true winners that have it all. Flavor, High, and yield.

Not to be taken personally, but list breeders you would use, not seed strains that resemble nothing like what they been named after... All strains listed are well known and legendary... One over the other would be personal choice as to the effect your after....

So many breeders out there now. Some good, some bad, lots most are somewhere in between. Here are a few of the ones I use.

Grimm Brothers
Humboldt Seed Org.
Barneys Farm
Green House
TGA
DNA

Those are my go to breeders. If you can not find a strain you like from them it can't be done. While I have had a bad batch of seeds or 2 from Humboldt recently I would still use them again. Have to they make my 707 Headband LMAO.

Sorry I meant breeders for the strains your suggested.. ie; if you want White widow, go to shantibaba ,(who made the original seeds of it) and get a packet of his black widow.. I see you don't but you get the idea (thought white widow was one of the options :rofl:):passitleft:

The LA Confidential is a given DNA is the only one that has it. The Northern Lights and the Master Kush are a little harder to nail down. Lots have it but who has the best or the right one.

For Northern Lights I would check the Sensi and the Peak versions. It has be around a long time. Lots a fakes and washed out genetics. Some of the Northern Lights out there isn't NL #5. The numbers fell by the waist side years ago. They were around 3 or 4 different #'s that saw at least some use. #5 and #11 being the most prominent if I remember right. Plus no one knows what is in Northern Lights. They can't remake it.
Master Kush is the same when age is considered. Another older strain that has been copied a lot. At least there was a recipe for this one. This is a hybrid so it may well have been improved along the way.
Basically Master Kush is Hindu Kush x Landrace Kush That is what White Label seeds first released as Master Kush. Nirvana Released their Master Kush as Hindu Kush X Skunk #1. There are others that are Og Kush X Hindu Kush that are also known as Master Kush. Master Kush ended up being a worked over Hindu Kush. Each person's way of bringing Hindu Kush indoors.

Hindu Kush has lots of great qualities but it is still a landrace and doesn't do great indoors on it's own. Crossed with Skunk #1 or The OG and it becomes a great indoor strain. My guess is the Nirvana one is the most popular as it should be a great easy to grow plant with the Skunk #1 in it. Master Kush is one strain I agree is up for interpretation. There should be a few good ones.

Id go mns for master Kush x Skunk
Part of spiel from mns;
The origins of the parents stem from Afghan with smaller contributions arising from Thai and Mexican. These plants will carry the distinct flavor of the original MK, which won the 1994 HTCC. It is a special plant in aroma and flavour and quite an easy and versatile good yielding plant. It has a particular smell, taste, and effect that make it a unique plant for almost any grower's garden.
Ortega, again from mns..
Part of spiel from mns;
Ortega was originally made a little different from Nevil when he was doing his Seedbank thing with Sensi...Shantibaba made a selection from an old school set of seeds that originated from NL#1 and NL#5...from mid 80s. It is expected to keep a good Christmas tree structure in growth and flowers in 6-8 weeks, giving strong fruity, deep berry flavors

Back
Top Bottom