Pest damage? Or nutrient defficiency? 1st time grower please help!

bigt76

Hi everyone,

I am new. I just joined.

I am also a 1st time grower and I really need some help.

Attached are pics of my Northern Lights strain at 54 days into Veg.

The other day I noticed tiny little bugs, some that were crawling on the top of the soil and a couple of tiny flying insects as well.

I immediately went to the hardware store and got a good organic pyrethrum and garlic spray and also some Neem oil to treat the soil. A couple of days later I treated it again and it would appear that the pests have gone.

My PH is fairly neutral at 6.5 to 7 range and I have only used fish fertilizer on 2 occasions because the soil was a premium blend and would have fert in it already. I don't think I am over-watering I let it get crusty on top before watering again (usually every 2nd day) is the time frame before it drys out. Oh, and I use a proper soil tester which has moisture and ph on it to check.. hasn't let me down so far.

I'm not 100% sure on humidity levels as I don't have a meter. I am using a 6 inch vent for air extraction and using oscillating fans inside the grow tent and inside the grow room I have a Air con which I turn on for a couple hours a day as well. So air quality should be reasonable at the least. Inside the tent is pretty clean I vac it every couple days and I disinfectant handwash before entering. (May be a bit over the top but just being cautious).

So, being a 1st timer and a total novice at this I would appreciate it if experienced growers can identify from my pics what seems to be my problem with the spotting and leaf damage I am experiencing.

Is it a nutrient defficiency or could it be the aftermath of damage that was caused from having pests?

All and any input will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to someone being able to help me get my baby back into good health.

P.S. It's not on all the leaves. And it is mostly the lower ones. Most of the top foliage is looking really good. Also, up until this happened with the pests, except for the odd leaf or two that needed pruning off right at the bottom it has been really healthy. Cheers.

plant_20-4-11_folder_3vga_009.jpg

plant_20-4-11_folder_3vga_007.jpg

plant_20-4-11_folder_3vga_008.jpg

plant_20-4-11_folder_3vga_004.jpg

plant_20-4-11_folder_3vga_002.jpg

plant_20-4-11_folder_3vga_003.jpg

plant_20-4-11_folder_3vga_001.jpg

@LEDman, I'm not sure what the bugs were but they are gone now whatever they were lol. I'm more worried about the spotting and the curled leaf ends.

I've been using Charlie Carp which is 9-2-6 with trace elements calcium, sulphur, Mag, Iron, Zinc, Manganese, Copper and boron. As mentioned I only fed this twice over the whole growth phase so far as I read that most soils are nutrient rich already and to be careful not to overfeed.

It may appear that I have been too careful. I'm going to go give a dose now. See what happens.

What will happen to the damaged leaves? They wont repair will they? Will I need to remove them or just let them go?

The necrotic tissue will not repair itself while the rest of the afflicted leaves will still supply the plant - but that is of no importance, since new growth will quickly replace the lost parts.

Fingers crossed!

[Edit] Medibud Seedlings Leaves Yellowing & Splotching - I had a similar problem with my seedlings. The afflicted leaves are still as they were, but the plants are about twice as big as they were when the photos were taken.

Hopefully, yeah. After the nute last night it looks like a bit of oomph has sprung back into it so I'm guessing that's what it needed a good feed.

I'll wait until some new growth comes on and then I'll remove all the dead shit.

Hey is it important or not to get rid of the dead stuff or it's ok to leave it there? I looked before after about 24hrs after nute feed and it certainly looks happier. Just looks horrid with all the turned leaf tips. I pruned it pretty heavily to get rid of the shit that was already there so I don't want to stress it too much. If it's of no consequence to leave them there I might just do that until some new growth takes hold.

I also think that the height it is at now the pot that it's in might not be giving the roots adequate breathing space. Although there is no sign of roots at the bottom or anything protruding from the water holes I think transplanting it to a larger pot might be worth doing. I thought this one would be big enough to tell you the truth but being a novice I got no idea hahah. I guess it is all live and learn by your mistakes with this hey!

Anyway, I guess it's all play it by ear from here in. I hope I don't fuck it up. I'm pretty sure it must have been a nute defficiency though because heaps of other new growth not affected by it looks really good. Just the crap parts make it ugly. lol. Thanks for all your input though guys. We have to unite as a community and help each other. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise of some of you. : p

Back
Top Bottom