Ph?

NUTHOG

If you started with a ph adjusted to 6.0,then you add 1/4 packet of grow & 1/4 pac mic for seedlings. Then the ph goes to 4.5 should I readjust it to 6.0 or leavr it alone? Been readind Roseman's sticky. Thanks

If you started with a ph adjusted to 6.0,then you add 1/4 packet of grow & 1/4 pac mic for seedlings. Then the ph goes to 4.5 should I readjust it to 6.0 or leavr it alone? Been readind Roseman's sticky. Thanks

You always want the PH at 5.9 to 6.0. If you leave it that low it will cause nutrient lockout. Different nutrients are taken in at certain PH levels and 5.9 is right in the middle. It will slowly creep up as plants feed that is normal(say 5.9 to 6.1 in 24 hours). Just readjust with feedings. Hope this helps you out and

:welcome:

Also make sure you are only using plain PH'ed water in the system untill you have the second set of full leaves(not the baby leaves). Then add 1/4 dose.

Thank You Theanswer1984, So If I just put the seeds in the rockwool tonight just go with 5.9 ph water till3rd set? thanks So if I get a extra tub,put 6 gallons in it. adjust to 5.9 then add my stealth nutes, recheck ph adjust if needed,then add to my plants . after I drain the old water? Thanks for all the help

Theanswer gave you the answer lol (sorry just smoked a little hash...)

For you last question don't worry about adjusting ph until you have added your nutes (when you start adding nutes, ph the plain water now), then ph check and adjust. No sense in checking it twice ya know. And yes after you have drained the water AND cleaned your res go ahead and add the new nute enriched water.

Follow what Theanswer said about nutes and plant age also, that is important. You don't want to overfeed and slow down progress.

A nice little bit of info from Topher89:

"day 1-7 - Nothing but PH water.
Day 7-14 - Either just PH'd water or 1/4 strength.
14-28 - Here is when you increase by how your plant reacts. Keep it slow, and add more weekly to get your plant accustom to the higher level of nutrients."

Good luck with everything! Hope that made sense lol

Also I find if I add the nutes to the water first that knocks down the ph some, then add PH down if needed.

Thank You Theanswer1984, So If I just put the seeds in the rockwool tonight just go with 5.9 ph water till3rd set? thanks So if I get a extra tub,put 6 gallons in it. adjust to 5.9 then add my stealth nutes, recheck ph adjust if needed,then add to my plants . after I drain the old water? Thanks for all the help

First, soak the seeds for 12 to 18 hours and they will POP int he sytem within the first day.
2nd, you really need a slight flucuuation of pH betweeen 5.6 to 6.5, averaging 5.9 and 6.0 as the target pH.

No, you don't need an extra tub, you just do one gallon at a time, the first set up day. What you said to do in your extra tub, you do in your reservoir on the first set up day.

here:
Feeding in Deep Water Culture, Getting Started & PPM

All the above Deep Water Culture posts were right on!

Is it normal for the PH to raise for 6.0 to 7.1 everyday? Just running tap water at 7.1 and 027ppm,then adjust to 6.0 with SH PH down. this is for germinating seeds and then a grow. Been at it for 5 days,seeds just popping up 1 of each of bubblelicious,aurora indica, papaya,northern lights)holes in center not used.At start up ph set at 6.0,next day 7.0 readjust to 6.0 next day 7.1 and so on.Changed water last night set at 6.0 this morning 7.1. It's driving me crazy. (and that's a short drive)

THANKS AGAIN

I had that problem in the beginning. By the time I was up to a full dose of nutes my pH stabilized. When I was running plain water I was going from 5.8 to 7.0 almost every day.

Another thing that helped me was running a cup of pH balanced water through the hydroton every few hours for 2 days. Did you rinse your hydroton really well in the beginning and soak your rockwool and hydroton in pH balanced water for up to 24 hours? I think part of my issue was that the rockwool or hydroton was raising the pH even though I soaked it. As soon as I spent a couple days flushing the cups out with pH balanced water things improved for me. When I added nutes on top of that I rarely had to touch the pH.

Is it normal for the PH to raise for 6.0 to 7.1 everyday?
yep, that is average for the course, expecially the first week!

Just running tap water at 7.1 and 027ppm,then adjust to 6.0 with SH PH down. this is for germinating seeds and then a grow. Been at it for 5 days,seeds just popping up 1 of each of bubblelicious,aurora indica, papaya,northern lights)holes in center not used.At start up ph set at 6.0,next day 7.0 readjust to 6.0 next day 7.1 and so on.Changed water last night set at 6.0 this morning 7.1. It's driving me crazy. (and that's a short drive)

THANKS AGAIN

That is just how it goes, but most nutes have pH stablizers that will help later. Even then, it will be 5.9 at night and 6.7 in the mornings. It is very important to follow Mr Mojo's advice and also be very neat and clean and do not allow anything else in the tank, like a dead leaf.

Pre-soaking the rockwool, the hydroton and the stones is very important too.

Thanks Mojo,Roseman
Last night when I changed the water,I did pour about a cup in each basket. I'm going to take a few cups of water out, ph adjust it and pour it back in thur the baskets a couple time a day. I did really,really wash the rocks as per Rosemans sticky.I did flush the system when it was new, put every thing together,even rockwool ran it for 1/2 day then dumped out.Then I filled with ph water and seed's, and here we are. I'll post a pic when something starts to really happen. Thanks again Guys

some pics,
PICT00604.JPG
PICT00562.JPG
PICT00573.JPG
PICT00621.JPG

Did you soak your rockwool overnight in 5.5 pH balanced water when you started? Without doing that the rockwool will naturally raise the pH because I believe the pH of rockwool is about 8.0.

No I didn't soak rockwool,but I did a test run for 4 hours then dumped,but the PH was 6.0 not 5.5 (that's what I did wrong I bet)

So it's ok to adjust PH everyday?

How soon till I put the lights on?,I can just start seeing the little leaves inside the round ones.
Thanks NUTHOG

Something else to help keep your PH stable is make sure you use a good quality ph up and down, while there are household items that work..lemon juice etc... they aren't great..this was a mistake I made for a while in my first hydro grow...also.. make sure you are getting the MAX out of your reservoir...the more water you have, the longer it's going to be stable...These were 2 of my biggest mistakes even though I wound up with males ><

As far as when to start your lights, I've always been of the school of thought that you should have them on from the start, that way they don't get burned or shocked and I've never had a problem with them hurting the plants....also I would think it would help keep them from stretching from the get go.

No I didn't soak rockwool,but I did a test run for 4 hours then dumped,but the PH was 6.0 not 5.5 (that's what I did wrong I bet)

So it's ok to adjust PH everyday? We all do it as part of the daily maintenance routine.
How soon till I put the lights on?,I can just start seeing the little leaves inside the round ones.
Thanks NUTHOG

As soon as yu see a leaf at the latest, put them twice as far away as you should, for the first 24 to 48 hours. I don't remember which lights you are using. My lights are on waiting to see a leaf when I do a grow

Back
Top Bottom