Feeding in Deep Water Culture, Getting Started & PPM

Thanks for the responses.

MostlyCrazy, I am planning on vegging with the HPS. The guy at the hydro store said that many do this. Since this is my first grow, I want to see how things turn out before I buy a MH bulb.

WannaBhigh, you answered the next question I was going to ask. I have been noticing that the lower leaves on some of the plants have been yellowing a lot. I thought it was a nutrient deficiency or nutrient lockout. I was going to do a flush today but I am glad to hear that it is normal. I'll wait to see what happens.

Again, thanks for the responses!

It is true that you can do a whole grow with the HPS. From what I hear that if you have to pick one bulb to use make it an HPS. The extra blue that the bulb makers are doing now helps quite a bit and is also one hell of a marketing tool if you are selling HPS bulbs. LOL! Great luck with that.

The plant is grabbing what nutes it can from those lower leaves until the roots get established and that is perfectly normal. Keep in mind as you grow that yellow leaves usually mean root trouble. If the roots are healthy the plant is healthy.

Thanks. I didn't get one of those bulbs with the extra blue in it. Since I'm just starting out, I didn't want to go too fancy on the setup.

I know that some drooping is normal but my plants are still looking like this after a week. I took them out of the buckets and out from under the 600W HPS just to give them a little break. The rockwool is completely soaked. I have them under a T5 fixture now. Is this normal? BTW, the Deep Water Culture are the best! I've learned so much on this forum.

I tried to attach photos but am not allowed to I guess. I posted the pictures in the members gallery. Top leaves are curling down, no new growth, lower fan leaves have mostly fallen off. This was from clone. pH and temperatures are all fine and humidity was between 35-50%.

I know that some drooping is normal but my plants are still looking like this after a week. I took them out of the buckets and out from under the 600W HPS just to give them a little break. The rockwool is completely soaked. I have them under a T5 fixture now. Is this normal? BTW, the Deep Water Culture are the best! I've learned so much on this forum.

I tried to attach photos but am not allowed to I guess. I posted the pictures in the members gallery. Top leaves are curling down, no new growth, lower fan leaves have mostly fallen off. This was from clone. pH and temperatures are all fine and humidity was between 35-50%.

Do you have a grow journal yet? Set one up, and ask questions in the Deep Water Culture home page or on the Stealth Hydroponics Deep Water Culture Growing Q & A and reference your grow journal. That will get you the most help. Roseman just helped someone with how to post pics in the Deep Water Culture home on the last page or 2, so check that out for posting pics.

A little hard without the pictures. What is the flow on your feeder tubes. It should be at a trickle. If they get too much water they just kind of sit there and droop as you descibe. Leaves are probably extra green also. The lower leaves are falling off because the plant is using them for the nutes and not the roots.

MostlyCrazy, yes they are just as you described. I don't think I can put picks up since I have a small number of posts. Should I disconnect the tubes and let the rockwool dry out a bit? The tubes were feeding more than just a trickle of water.
rsz_img_0922.jpg

Learned how to post pics.

Yeah, maybe it's best to remove them than to fiddle with it. They need some dry time. Unless you feel comfortable with turning each feeder tube off for the dry off period that would keep you in control. You're gonna want to figure that out for future grows anyway. Leave the tubes out/turned off a day but give them a little mist once or twice and back off the light if you can. A little triage is needed but I've done this myself. We'll just have to let the plant process the extra water and baby them back to good health.

Thanks for the reply. I did Roseman's 8 step and backed off the watering a little. There aresigns that the babies are going to make it but not completely sure. If they do make it, I'll be sure to start a grow journal. Thanks again.

After a couple of weeks the plants are recovering. You were right, these guys do have the will to survive. Patience in this process is key. Thanks so much for the advice.

Well, if that don't fix it then you will know. Remember, you are growing weeds and they have a strong will to survive! I've almost killed dozens but they just won't die even if I want them too so I can start over! I've been where you are.

Seriously man, I had the same thing happen to me. I just left them for like four weeks... Did nothing. no fertilizer, no foliar, no ph. just water, and they paled out a bit but came right back with a touch of love. They try very hard not to die. I swear its easier to kill them with love (overcare) then neglect.

Seriously man, I had the same thing happen to me. I just left them for like four weeks... Did nothing. no fertilizer, no foliar, no ph. just water, and they paled out a bit but came right back with a touch of love. They try very hard not to die. I swear its easier to kill them with love (overcare) then neglect.

I've driven over them with a 4 wheeler and it laid onthe groend and grew.

I've pulled a male up by the roots, threw it as far as I could sling one, and it continued to grow and dug its roots into the dirt by itself.

lol! Roseman, MC, if newbies could get directed immediately to your threads, there would be a heck of a lot more bud in this world.

Thankyou for everything you guys do! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom