Plant Alchemy With KNF: Korean Natural Farming And Jadam

Your work awes me, Azi!
I know, no pics..... :(

Just out of curiousity, how many hours a week do you spend on doing all this?

Cheers!
Ha! Nice of you to say. I like growing plants and doing experiments and try to pass along anything I learn that I think others might be interested in.

I have a routine I follow. Probably 20 mins in the morning and maybe a half hour after dinner. But a lot of that time is spent futzing needlessly with the plants and staring in satisfaction at them. Lol. They're all in SIPs so not much to do. They're all pretty small and there aren't that many so it can go quick.

The morning session isn't really needed at all and if I wanted to blast through it I could probably do it all in 20 mins every other day. But for me, the morning session is a good way to start my day.

My K issue at about week 2-3 of flower continues even with the added banana JLF I've been using. Doesn't seem as aggressive a deficiency as last couple of rounds but it's still early.

So I'm going to try a bit of a different approach going forward. I'm going to start adding alfalfa as a top dressing as well as adding it as an amendment in my compost and worm castings. I can get a 40lb bag of pellets at a farm supply store for about the same cost as a 10lb bag sold as a garden amendment so that should give me a healthy supply to experiment with in various ways.

I'll probably also add it as an amendment in my soil mix as this seems to be a consistent issue I'm having since I began making my own soil mix.

Other than that the plants seem pretty good so if I can resolve this issue I may have that repeatable mix and process I've been working toward.

I also started a 5 gallon bucket of seaweed JLF that I use as a component in my veg nutes. It's a pretty small component so 5 Gallons is a multi-year supply. My comfrey and stinging nettle have popped up so I'll get buckets of each of them going in the next month or two once I have enough plant mass to harvest.

My K issue at about week 2-3 of flower continues even with the added banana JLF I've been using. Doesn't seem as aggressive a deficiency as last couple of rounds but it's still early.

So I'm going to try a bit of a different approach going forward. I'm going to start adding alfalfa as a top dressing as well as adding it as an amendment in my compost and worm castings. I can get a 40lb bag of pellets at a farm supply store for about the same cost as a 10lb bag sold as a garden amendment so that should give me a healthy supply to experiment with in various ways.

I'll probably also add it as an amendment in my soil mix as this seems to be a consistent issue I'm having since I began making my own soil mix.

Other than that the plants seem pretty good so if I can resolve this issue I may have that repeatable mix and process I've been working toward.

I also started a 5 gallon bucket of seaweed JLF that I use as a component in my veg nutes. It's a pretty small component so 5 Gallons is a multi-year supply. My comfrey and stinging nettle have popped up so I'll get buckets of each of them going in the next month or two once I have enough plant mass to harvest.
are you putting greensand in your soil mix?

The problem with using alfalfa as a K input is that young alfalfa contains lots, mature alfalfa far less, and if the windrows in the field get rained on a lot gets leached out.

K is best from the ocean in both greensand, which is an ancient seabed product, or kelp.

Greensand for long term rebuildable horsepower and kelp because it's kelp and also contains K.

You can get high grade kelp at the Feed Store as it's a prime diet staple in race horses, and it's way cheaper than the garden store.

Then make potions from that if you like, but I cook both into my global soil mix and I have never experienced a K issue.

I know you want something local but adding these 2 will tell you for sure if it's a K thing. If you are in LOS and your PH is out, it's a myco thing not a water thing. My water goes in at PH 8.? every day. Myco keeps the soil at 6.2.

If your soil is actually that high in PH, then you need more calcium in it.

2 PH zones here, the soil and the rhizosphere.

Make sure it's a K thing and not nute burn from a potion.

A K deficiency looks like nute burn and a Mg def combined. Burnt serrations and yellowing between the veins. No yellowing means nute burn.

are you putting greensand in your soil mix?
No. I do have seaweed JLF as a key component in my veg feed so it should be somewhat represented. I'll check on the kelp meal and Greenland.

A K deficiency looks like nute burn and a Mg def combined. Burnt serrations and yellowing between the veins. No yellowing means nute burn.
I think it's definitely a K deficiency. Bright yellow serrations. But could that be caused by a Ca deficit or something else?

I find it kind of surprising that I'd have that deficiency since the comfrey I give them is high in that element which makes me wonder if it's a reaction to something else.

Back
Top Bottom