Plant is losing her green! Is it overwatering or some kind of deficiency?

pogmek

420 Member
Hello! I'm a month and a halfh through veg stage and I'm starting to see some issues with my plant, hope you can help!

First thing I'm gonna let you know about my grow space:
  • Size: 40x40x120.
  • Strain: Skunk XXL (feminized).
  • Soil: Cellmax universal terra (pre-fertilized) + some centimeters of expanded clay beneath the soil.
  • Pot: Air Pot 12L.
  • Lights: Sonlight LED Apollo Plus 4 (192W).
  • Nutes: Biobizz (BioGrow, BioBloom, TopMax).
Now let's talk about the issues:
It's been around half a week that the leaves at the top are losing their green, and red veins are starting to appear on the stems!

IMG_7325.JPG
IMG_7326.JPG

I have two hypothesis:
  1. Overwatering: the leaves are slightly curled down and they're "hard" to the touch. If this is the case, should they gain back their green just by watering less?
    Even then... Isn't it strange that they would be overwatered in an air pot?
  2. Light burn: I am more keen to think it is light burn since their distance from the led light is between 40-50 centimeters... also, I grow since 2017 and I've never noticed this kind of issues until I bought my new led lamp! (I was still using a led lamp before but it was less potent).
  3. Some kind of deficiency: honestly I don't know... deficiency are hard to detect when there could be so many different causes for them.
What do I do?
Less water? Different light?

I just want to make her feel great again as she's ready to go into flowering according to my grow space!

It's always a challenge using soil with time release nutes in it, plus the wrong NPK ratios toooooooo

Are u feeding her nutes yet?

For sure some nute issues, but I'm sure a dirt person will be by soon

Thank you for your celerity! Really appreciated.
I only tried to give her a little bit of grow nutes last time I watered (like half a week ago when I first noticed her slightly losing green).

I always used pre-fertilized soil and never had issues... that's why I'm starting to blame my new lights, but honestly I don't really know and I hope someone experienced can help me

I believe you are watering too often. It is possible to overwater an airpot, by not letting it dry out all the way to the bottom between each watering in veg. They look overwatered to me... how are you determining when you need to water and how much are you giving when you do?
Hello! Thanks for coming in.

Before watering I always touch the soil and check if the dirt sticks on me leaving humidity, when it doesn't I water.
I'm probably overlooking how dry it should feel... They also look overwatered to me so I think that's the main issue.
Also, when I water I give her around 1.5L of water... is it too much? Should I tune it down?

I will try to wait a bit more in between waterings and I'll tune down the water if that's the case... What about their recovery? How bad is the situation I'm in?

I now feel confident in saying that it is your watering method that is causing the stress that you are seeing. Touching the soil or even driving your finger into it to the 3rd knuckle, tells you nothing about what is happening at the most critical spot in that container... the very bottom. There has likely been stale water standing in the bottom third or better of your container for some time now, because before it can all be used, you come along and water again. Even giving just a small set amount of water can build up over time if the plant is unable to use that much each day or two.

The best way to do this is to use the lift method, a moisture meter all the way down to the last inch of the container, or even a dipstick, to determine where the level of the water table happens to be on that day, and until the plant has been able to use all of the water sitting down there, down right to the last inch of the container, it is not yet time to water.

What this does is it forces the roots to expand out to seek out all of the water in that container. Each time you force the plant through a complete wet/dry cycle, the roots get stronger, and the time between waterings will decrease.

When you do water, it is important to fill that soil up with water... not just 1.5L, but treat that soil as a sponge that you are trying to fill up with water until it can not hold any more. Further watering simply flows out of the bottom from the drainage holes. You can NOT give too much water in one sitting... the soil can only retain so much.

Then, after properly watering, it is time to sit, and wait until the plant has been able to use all that water. At first it will take 3-5 days to do this, but as I said, each time you go through this cycle, that time will become less and less, until the roots become so strong that the plant can drain a complete saturation of that soil in one day. This is your signal that it is time to uppot to a container at least 3x this size, and start that process over again, building those roots.

This is the watering strategy for VEG only... once you get to bloom, it is time to see how much water you can get the plants to take, and your touch the soil method becomes valid.

Your situation is not dire, and this can be recovered from, just as soon as you stop drowning your lower roots. They are protecting themselves from the excessive water and have encased themselves in a protective covering to survive until the flood waters go away, and this is restricting their uptake ability. This is why the constant droop... the plant simply cant develop enough water pressure in the trunk right now to lift the plant fully. As soon as the roots see oxygen again because the diaphragm that is the top of the water table pulls the oxygen clear to the bottom from the top, this process will start to reverse itself and after 3 complete wet/dry cycles, you will never know that there had been a problem.

I now feel confident in saying that it is your watering method that is causing the stress that you are seeing. Touching the soil or even driving your finger into it to the 3rd knuckle, tells you nothing about what is happening at the most critical spot in that container... the very bottom. There has likely been stale water standing in the bottom third or better of your container for some time now, because before it can all be used, you come along and water again. Even giving just a small set amount of water can build up over time if the plant is unable to use that much each day or two.

The best way to do this is to use the lift method, a moisture meter all the way down to the last inch of the container, or even a dipstick, to determine where the level of the water table happens to be on that day, and until the plant has been able to use all of the water sitting down there, down right to the last inch of the container, it is not yet time to water.

What this does is it forces the roots to expand out to seek out all of the water in that container. Each time you force the plant through a complete wet/dry cycle, the roots get stronger, and the time between waterings will decrease.

When you do water, it is important to fill that soil up with water... not just 1.5L, but treat that soil as a sponge that you are trying to fill up with water until it can not hold any more. Further watering simply flows out of the bottom from the drainage holes. You can NOT give too much water in one sitting... the soil can only retain so much.

Then, after properly watering, it is time to sit, and wait until the plant has been able to use all that water. At first it will take 3-5 days to do this, but as I said, each time you go through this cycle, that time will become less and less, until the roots become so strong that the plant can drain a complete saturation of that soil in one day. This is your signal that it is time to uppot to a container at least 3x this size, and start that process over again, building those roots.

This is the watering strategy for VEG only... once you get to bloom, it is time to see how much water you can get the plants to take, and your touch the soil method becomes valid.

Your situation is not dire, and this can be recovered from, just as soon as you stop drowning your lower roots. They are protecting themselves from the excessive water and have encased themselves in a protective covering to survive until the flood waters go away, and this is restricting their uptake ability. This is why the constant droop... the plant simply cant develop enough water pressure in the trunk right now to lift the plant fully. As soon as the roots see oxygen again because the diaphragm that is the top of the water table pulls the oxygen clear to the bottom from the top, this process will start to reverse itself and after 3 complete wet/dry cycles, you will never know that there had been a problem.
You have NO IDEA how helpful you've been, it's incredible.
Thank you for all of your knowledge, really!

Back
Top Bottom