Please Help: Outdoor Plants Dying

tess

I had complete success in this raised bed last year with Blueberry and so started 3 more this year. The soil is amended with manure compost, peat moss and black earth (top soil.) The plants were doing extremely well indoors and I planted them outdoors May 20 after the risk of frost was past. However we have had several nites below 10 degrees celsius but above 0. They seem to be getting worse by the hour and I think I have two problems. One is the dead spots and the other is the drooping leaves changing to different shades of green. Is there anything I can do for these outdoors? Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• problems (1).jpg
    problems (1).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 97
  • problems.jpg
    problems.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 102
Thanks for the replies. They went downhill so quickly. I hope it is just the cooler nights. I dug in the manure two weeks before I planted them. There was a lot of rain and I mixed it up pretty good. I have been worried that the manure has caused the problem. It was properly composted and in plastic bags, but seemed kind of strong. Should I mix in some top soil? I don't know how to do that without hurting the roots.

All of our plants have the potential to show purple growth and cold air can help it come out. Dont worry about the purple leafs, they are fine.
Your top picture is showing the results of a pest.
Thanks for replying. I cannot detect a pest but will have a closer look...

I don't think the manure is causing the "spots" of brown, but rather the Dark green at the leaf tips. I don't see any leaf "burn" on the tips, so that's good. @fanleaf is on to something about the pests though, and they could be drawn to the manure.

Good news is, outdoor pests can be taken care of rather quickly, using things like "Garden Dust" or diatomaceous earth.
Do a little research on both, and you'll find some safe, organic options, that will not cause YOU or the plants any harm.

To help on the colder nights, you can add a little straw around the plants, to help retain some heat from the sun during the day. I've gone as far, as to set out buckets of warm water in my garden as well. On a "frosty" night, they can create a warm fog, to help keep frost at bay.

I don't think the manure is causing the "spots" of brown, but rather the Dark green at the leaf tips. I don't see any leaf "burn" on the tips, so that's good. @fanleaf is on to something about the pests though, and they could be drawn to the manure.

Good news is, outdoor pests can be taken care of rather quickly, using things like "Garden Dust" or diatomaceous earth.
Do a little research on both, and you'll find some safe, organic options, that will not cause YOU or the plants any harm.

To help on the colder nights, you can add a little straw around the plants, to help retain some heat from the sun during the day. I've gone as far, as to set out buckets of warm water in my garden as well. On a "frosty" night, they can create a warm fog, to help keep frost at bay.
Thanks so much for your input. I will research the products you suggested. I covered them with blankets last night as the temps were going down to almost zero. It has been a lousy start for my babies. If I had thought it would be such a cold spring I would have waited before putting them outside. Also, I am going to get some cedar mulch for around the plants.

I'm not sure I would use ceder mulch. A two inch layer of peat moss or compost works and can be dug in at the end of the year as a soil amendment. Purple is often genetic as with Blueberry and Black Afghani. Could those spots could be chemical burn from fertilizer?
I actually have a bag of peat moss I can use. Thanks for that. I don't know what the spots are from. They are spreading so I am thinking a pest or some sort of fungus. I've really got to get a handle on that problem.

Back
Top Bottom