Police Cheif investigated on drug charges.

Roachclip

Weatherly resident Kim Heckman said Thursday the news that state drug agents searched the office of popular borough Police Chief Brian Cara made her heart stop.

''I wanted to throw up,'' Heckman said. ''I can't believe it. He's a fantastic man.''

Heckman's shock was typical in the small borough, an enclave of 2,160 residents in northern Carbon County where Cara was well-liked for his demeanor and for running his department efficiently.

Many in the community, nestled between mountains, said they hope the probe by the state attorney general's Bureau of Narcotics Investigation clears Cara of wrongdoing.

Drug agents searched Cara's office Wednesday. Attorney general's office spokesman Kevin Harley said Cara is the target of an investigation that began months ago, but he did not offer details.

The search warrant, issued by a Carbon County judge, has been sealed.

''It's an ongoing investigation,'' Harley said.

Reached at his home in West Hazleton, Cara declined to comment.

''It would be foolish for me to talk now,'' he said.

Weatherly Mayor Joseph D'Andrea said Cara has been suspended with pay while the investigation continues.

''We'll have to wait for the outcome,'' he said.

Council likely will appoint Patrolman Anthony McFadden as acting chief at a meeting Monday, D'Andrea said.

On Thursday afternoon, the Weatherly police office was locked.

D'Andrea said Cara had done a good job as chief.

''It's an unpleasant surprise to us all,'' he said.

Heckman took the news very hard.

''He was a friend to you,'' she said as she worked at a deli in neighboring Beaver Meadows. ''He never talked down to you.''

Heckman remembered Cara speaking to her son's class during an anti-drug and alcohol program this year at Weatherly Area Elementary School.

''He told them to stay off drugs and alcohol and get an education and they'll go far.''

The children, she said, listened intently.

''My sons love him,'' she said.

Lorenzo Laparta, the owner of a borough pizza shop, said Cara helped him with problem customers a few times. He also was taken aback by the news.

''I was a little surprised because he was such a nice guy,'' Laparta said.

Resident Stephen Kew-Goodale said he hopes the investigation clears Cara of wrongdoing. Kew-Goodale said Cara seemed to run the Police Department well.

''He's responsible,'' he said.

Cara has been the police chief in Weatherly for 10 years. He was promoted from patrolman in July 1994 when former Chief Robert Koch resigned to become a patrolman.

The Carbon County district attorney's office said it would not comment on the case.

Here's my dilemma with this.

They compliment him throughout the article, saying things like ''He's responsible," ''I was a little surprised because he was such a nice guy,''and "He's a fantastic man.''So, obviously, him doing drugs and hiding it had no effect on the perception of the public, and no effect on the well being of the police force.

So, why arrest the man if NOTHING'S WRONG!?!?!?!?

we smoke weed clip, we are all going to hell, we are all criminals, we are murders, rapists, and hoodlums, pieces of shit, the scum of society, we contribute nothing, we are worthless, a bunch of bums with no ambition or initiative, if anybody has ever been successful and smoked weed, it was pure luck, or they overcame HUGE adversity, at least that's what their bio says, IT'S REEFER MADNESS!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom