Poll Majority: Legalize Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A new national poll by Angus Reid Public Opinion shows that two-thirds of Americans believe the "War on Drugs" is a failure. A majority of those polled agreed that marijuana should be legalized.

The survey, a nationally representative sample of 1,004 adults, found that just 8 percent believe the "War" - the U.S. government's effort to reduce the illegal drug trade - is a success: 68 percent agreed that it is a failure.

"Do you support or oppose the legalization of each of the following drugs?" Reid asked as followup.

A 53 percent majority favored legalization of marijuana: The support was 61 percent among Democrats, 55 percent with Independent voters, and 43 percent among Republican voters.

By contrast, fewer than one American in 10 would consent to legalization of other drugs such as powder coc•aine, ecst•asy, her•oin, Meth•amphetamine or "cryst•al me•th," or cra•ck coc•aine.

States including California and Washington have vote in favor of decriminalizing possession of marijuana for medical purposes. Seattle voters have told police to make pot possession their lowest law enforcement priorities.

Gil Kerlikowske, the former Seattle Police Chief who directs the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, declared earlier this year that the Obama Administration would cease using the term "War on Drugs." He said it implied that the government was waging a battle against its citizens.

In his "drug czar" post, however, Kerlikowske is forbidden by statute even to discuss drug legalization.

Federal laws against cannabis do remain in force. A new bill in the Washington legislature would remove state penalties altogether.

The Angus Reid poll found Americans have high concerns over drug use.

A total 70 percent of those surveyed agreed with the statement: "America has a serious drug abuse problem and it affects the entire country." Just 6 percent felt the country does not have a serious problem with drugs.

"The survey shows that, while the preoccupation with drug abuse in America is widesspread, the level of satisfaction with the 'War on Drugs' is miniscule," the pollster concluded.

The Reid survey was conducted Dec. 3 and 4, and has a margin of error of 3.1 percent.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: seattlepi.com
Author: Joel Connelly
Copyright: 2009 Hearst Seattle Media, LLC
Contact: seattlepi.com / Hearst Seattle Media Staff Directory

Every time I see the results of a national survey, I get a little bit more optimistic. People are finally seeing the light.

I was surprised that I saw this at the bottom of the article, though, knowing their history:
Copyright: 2009 Hearst Seattle Media, LLC

Every time I see the name "Hearst," I get suspicious.

Every time I see the results of a national survey, I get a little bit more optimistic. People are finally seeing the light.

I was surprised that I saw this at the bottom of the article, though, knowing their history:

Every time I see the name "Hearst," I get suspicious.
the positive view about the decriminalization of marijuana in surveys just furthers the fact that the government cares little to nothing about what its country wants and obviously needs through research about the positive affect it has on its users.

Back
Top Bottom