Pot Dispensary Decision Pushed Back By Desert Hot Springs Council

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A decision on medical marijuana dispensaries was delayed until November by the Desert Hot Springs City Council on Tuesday after lively debate.

A city moratorium on dispensaries will expire Feb. 7, 2009.

Council members will decide on Nov. 10 whether to ban the dispensaries or to send an ordinance regulating the outlets to the city's Planning Commission.

That “hybrid” ordinance would be based on the city of West Hollywood's regulations and an ordinance that Palm Springs is considering. It would allow for nonprofit collectives or cooperatives in certain locations and would ban storefront dispensaries.

Councilman Karl Baker said Tuesday that he supports allowing residents to have access to medical marijuana in the city.

Baker called a draft ordinance banning medical marijuana dispensaries that the council discussed Tuesday “useless verbiage.” He accused Assistant City Attorney Ellin Davtyan of “trying to create policy” with the draft language.

“I would be ashamed to put my name to what you have submitted to us,” Baker told Davtyan. Councilman Scott Matas later called Baker's comments to Davtyan “rude.”

Councilman Al Schmidt said he favored banning medical marijuana in the city.

“My main concern is the potential crime involvement,” Schmidt said Tuesday. “I have compassion for the folks who need it. It's not that I'm a cold-hearted person.”

The other council members did not indicate what they thought would be the best course of action.

Desert Hot Springs Police Chief Patrick Williams said dispensaries would “hamper” efforts to curb crime.

“The ban, from a police perspective, eliminates challenges,” Williams said.

Medical marijuana proponents at the meeting said Williams' assertion was baseless.

The City Council first voted to enact a moratorium on Feb. 6, 2007, after emotional debate.

The issue came to a head when city officials learned a medical marijuana dispensary, Organic Solutions of the Desert, had opened in Desert Hot Springs — without a business license. The dispensary later closed.

Organic Solutions owner Jim Camper commended the council at the meeting for discussing the contentious issue.

“If you decided to ban it, at least you made an effort,” Camper said Tuesday.

If council members opt for an ordinance, they could vote as early as Dec. 2 once the Planning Commission considers it, City Manager Rick Daniels said Tuesday.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: MyDesert.com
Copyright: 2008 MyDesert.com
Website: Pot dispensary decision pushed back by Desert Hot Springs council

Back
Top Bottom