Preflower Question?

basically with an autoflower strain, you keep the lights on 18/6 until harvest. It automatically switches over to flowering when its ready. With regular strains you use 18/6 for vegging and when you decide to flower yourself depending on how big you want your pants you switch over to 12/12. Its more under your control while the autoflower basically drives itself till harvest time.

first time grow bro realx no need to get all anal i get what your saying im just trying to find out my best options but yea go do you thing and ill keep looking on my own...

i guess i woudl be the same way too but yea i was thinking that too is only like another 2 weeks of flowering if i grow normal like you said so what is a big yeilder and easy to grow with awesome smoke?

yea i tried out the Lst on these plants i have going now 2 out of the 6 are growing diffrent so im hoping they might be females... but will see. When do you say is a good time to top the plants?

HYDRO Vs SOIL.

I have to respectfully disagree that hydroponics will yield higher than organics. There is a difference between growth rate and the yield. Because something grows faster does not mean it yields more in the same space. If you factor in time for veg growth, hydroponics will have the edge in yield. If you have a separate veg area, that timing issue is irrelevant.

Having greater aromatics is a matter of opinion and relative to growing skill and methods. When done correctly, organics (organic nutrients, soilless mixes) produce buds that smell just as strong as those grown hydroponically. I will concede that hydro-grown plants do have a slightly faster growth rate, but to solidly state that they yield more overall, I believe is misleading as i have seen.

The reason i use organics is because I didn't see enough difference in either growing styles (hydro and soil) or anything else to warrant the need for so much monitoring and expensive meters and nutrients. I think that the only provable plus to hydroponics is growth rate.Whereas the cons are chemical aftertaste in the flavour of buds, extreme susceptibility to over/under fertilization, very high initial investment, many things to break and clog, etc.

If grown in a nice airy organic soil mix and watered with good organic amendments, growth enhancers and beneficial fungi (mycorrhizae), you will easily compete with that of a hydroponic system. Your end result will be full flavored, non-chemical tasting buds. They can be arguably, slightly more potent due to the fact that, as of now, science cannot compete with Mother Nature and naturally occurring elements.

Bottom line - unless you are obsessed with fittings, toys and technology (and many are) organics can grow nearly as fast, just as big (if not bigger), better tasting and IMHO more potent buds. And they do this with very little initial investment, and are very forgiving of newbie mistakes.

LUDACRIS.:)
Definitely going to have to agree with this Comparison of pros and cons. This could be debated all day but the simple fact is there is no one way to grow this stuff, there are as many growers as there are ways to grow Cannabis. You have to find out what will work best and yield the best results in your current situation. For example, if you live in a high humidity area where the humidity is always 50% or above and you are going to start a grow in the summer you might want to think long and hard about the kind of grow you can do LED VS. HID, SOIL VS. Hydro etcc.... Probably not the best Idea to do a hydro grow in these cases as hydro grows create much more humidity in grow areas and the added heat could be a crop killer and waste of time. No one method will get you the best results everytime if you can get what I am saying. There are so many variables like temp humidity, budget and other things that may make soil or hydro better or worse than the other in the current situation. You could copy someones successful method for growing to the tee as far as set up lights nutrients and still end up having the worst plants in the world simply because you were applying one formula to something that requires you to look at all the variables to see what the best plan of action is to go about your grow, this is what we growers face everyday. We would all like to have a 10,000 watt system, climate controlled, co2 injected all the bells and whistles but unless you got a huge bankroll and you dont have to worry about these things its a informed decision on the type of grow you are going to do in order to get the best yield. As a real life example I had to switch to LED's for summer grows because I simply did not have the money to run the A/C all day which is what running my HID lights required me to do. If I continued to use my HID light not thinking about the temps it created and only thinking about how everyone says HID is the best and you will only get good buds with HID's I would have no crop at all because they would have fried to death. PH, temp, humidity, air flow, amount of light are ALL equally important and its about balancing those for the best possible grow results. Sorry for the rant but this was a good one:reading420magazine::reading420magazine::grinjoint::grinjoint: Oh an now my personal feeling on Hydro.....Its a night mare and I would not recommend it for a first grow unless you are doing it on a VERY small scale (ie 1 or two plants). I would never want to have a large scale hydro setup, its as bad as having a pool only worse because if it leaks or your pump breaks it can not only be catastrophic for the plants but for you and the grow area from pump fires, water damage, I just cannot justify growing hydro when I get the same if not better results in soil and I have done both.:Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste:

Think of it this way if you threw a seed in some soil outside and just left it, odds are it will grow anyway without any interference or interaction. You throw some seeds in water and leave......well you got wet dead seeds. I guess thats a very simplistic analogy that your best bet is soil for the sole fact of simplicity, much harder to fuck it up or for something to grow wrong. Hydro has to many links in the chain that can fail I could not sleep at night during hydro grows:lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke: As a twist on what Chris said "You don't have to panic if you grow organic!!" By the way great post chris:cheer::cheer::cheer:

thanks guys both of you have great point and great information but when it comes to soil how do you knwo whats a good mix or how do you come up with a good strog soild mix?

and i know with CFL lights that its a great energy saver and a lot cooler in temps but in terms of veg growth and yeild is a Mh/HPS grow light set up better then a CFL Day light Soft light set up if Watts and lumens are about the same?

dont HPS give off less then 2200k i though they need high like 6700k when in veg growth?

using the HPS doesnt stunt your plants growth?

yea i think i am going to switchto HPS for sure but not sure weather i wanna doing it for the whole cycle or if i wanna use (12) 26w CFL 6500K bulbs for veg and then switch to the 600W HPS or even a 1000W if i could find one cheap enough...

But if im making my own grom room and want to be able to get on a cycle where im harvesting like every 8-10 weeks 2 4x4 rooms but should i have a 1000W MH or the 12 CFLs and keep the 1000W HSP for flowering only or get 2 HPS and use on a 12/12 routine and the veg 1 on a 18/6 one.?

Back
Top Bottom