Protracted White Widow Closet - First Grow Ever - Soil - 1000W MH/HPS - 2013

protracting

Hello,

This is my first ever journal and my first ever grow. I'm excited to share my trials and tribulations while learning how to grow.

I'll be growing feminized White Widow that I got from a reputable seed bank

I'm entering week 4 of veg and thus far have recorded my journey from day one, including construction of my grow closet!

Here is what I'm working with:

4'x5'x7' Closet painted flat white
7 White Widow feminized seeds from Attitude seeds
1000 watt 6" Apollo Horticulture air cooled hood with adjustable ballast
6" Inline fan (440 CFM) exhausted into the attic
iPower Air Carbon Filter
Fox Farm Ocean Forrest Soil
Fox Farm Nutrients (Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom and Grow Big)
Distilled water
6" pots eventually transplanting to 4 gallon pots
2 12" oscillating fans
1 Fucked up back and a lot of time on my hands!

So...hopefully I can start my grow journal with this video journal. This was made while constructing my closet. It went from being filled with clothes, to a workable grow room for under $500. :cheer:

Loving the video, how many little lady's will u being growing at once?? And check out Drgrowtent whitewidow first grow, his advice has been priceless my girls are fit and healthy thanks to him, good luck

Germination Day

As I stated before, I bought 7 feminized seeds from Attitude seeds. I bought 5 seeds and got 2 of the same in freebies. I paid extra and ordered a tshirt with the seeds. The package arrived in about 10 days.
I made a little germinating chamber by taking a 6" x 10" plastic container ($1. at dollar store) and blacking it out with black vinyl tape. I placed a couple paper towels on the bottom and misted them with tepid water. I used spring water for my moisture. After placing the seeds on the damp napkin I covered them with a couple more napkins and misted until the napkins were very damp. After gently tapping the napkins on top of the seeds I poured out any excess water. I secured the lid and placed the box in my entertainment console, behind the cable box. (It's cold and dry here so I wanted a warm dark place with constant warmer temps.) After 12 hours I rotated the box and lifted a corner for a second to let a little air in. After 24 hours I was happy to find all 7 sprouted. I gave them a few more hours and took them to their new home..

photo_5127.JPG
photo_3_2_14.JPG
photo_2_3_6.JPG
photo_4201.JPG
photo_4201.JPG
photo_1_3_10.JPG

Doh, should read things properly 7white widows seeds Lolol will u be training your girls or a straight grow to find your feet

If I had a friend who could train them I would. I'm not sure I want to mess around my first grow. I will check out Drgrowtent for sure...thanks!

Planting the germinated White Widow

I purchased Fox Farm Ocean Forrest soil and their nutrient line from Amazon. I know FF soil already has nutrients so I don't plan on using any extra nutes until about week 3. My tap water is softened so I decided to use only distilled water to avoid any problems.
I filled the 6" pots with the soil, gently compressing with my fist as I went. The sprouts were a bit long so I used my finger to make the hole deep enough so I could cover the top of the seed with about 1/4" of soil. I used tweezers to carefully place the germinated seed into the hole, root pointing down. I lightly covered the seed and repeated the process until all seven were ready for their first drink. I used distilled water at room temperature and poured about 4oz of water on each plant. I waited about a minute and repeated. After another minute I noticed some water had leaked from the pots. This told me it was time to put the water down and place them under the light. I numbered the pots so I knew who was who and could take notes on each plants growth. The light was placed 28" above the soil and set to 75% power (750 watts) and temps were steady at 77 with R/H of 37%
photo_1_4_5.JPG

UPDATE: We have life 30 hours after placing seeds in germination chamber

The next morning, only about 30 hours from placing the seeds in wet towels, 4 of the seven had poked through. By day two 6 of the seven were erect with cotyledons. The lone seed still under the soil is the runt!

photo_5_1_2.JPG
photo_4_1_8.JPG
photo_3_3_7.JPG
photo_2_4_3.JPG

Day 5 and everyone is photosynthesizing !

By day 6 all seven of the ladies are up and thriving...photosynthesis has begun as the first set of fan leaves are open for business. The tallest is getting a little stretchy so I'll keep an eye on her! I set two fans up to circulate a breeze that should help strengthen the stems. I'm happy with the way the plants shake for a quick second then go still... this repeats giving each plant a "nudge" every few seconds. I'm still at only 75% strength on the light ballast. Temps are steady at 77 with R/H 33%.

photo_3_4_3.JPG
photo_2_5_2.JPG
photo_1_5_2.JPG

Day 9 and second set of fan leaves appear

On day 10 the girls have their second set of fan leaves starting to open and looking good. Today is watering day. I have been watering every 3rd day as the soil seems to fully dry out 2 days after watering. I can feel the weight difference when they are dry. Each time the plants are dry they each weigh aprox. 1lb 3-4oz. After watering they are aprox 1lb 12-13oz. The tallest of the bunch is a bit stretchy so I added some top soil and she looks better. The light is now at 24", still 75% power.

photo_2_6_2.JPG

2 weeks since planting

2 weeks from planting and we have lots of growth, especially the runt who is small, but catching up to her sisters. The 3rd sets of leaves are emerging. Still no nutrients other than the soil. Power at 100% with the new leaf formation and no signs of heat stress. Temps are 77 degrees and R/H still about 32% (My house R/H is 11% and it's -8 degrees outside) Rotation occurs twice a day.
photo_2_7_2.JPG
photo_1_7_1.JPG
photo_3_5_1.JPG

Lots of growth and some odor...Day 17-19

Today is day 17 and I awoke to seven healthy ladies. They are growing quickly. I know I am close to transplanting and starting their first added nutrients so I'm not out of the woods yet.

Good growth overnight and I was pleasantly surprised to get an odor when I opened the closet door this morning. Is it normal for plants to start smelling this early? When would you expect the smell to get strong? Can't wait!!

photo_5_2_5.JPG
Bashful_above.JPG
photo_3_8_1.JPG
photo_6_-_Edited_1_.JPG

Day 20...growth explosion, transplant looming...the widow shows herself

Lots of growth under the canopy. First full 7 finger leafs appearing. My light is now 23" from the top of the canopy. I'm thinking transplant in two days. No nutrients tomorrow's feeding and since FFOF has nutrients in the soil I will not give nutrients again for a few feedings. These pictures show some under growth and a view from above.
Please let me know how you think they look ....thanks! :peace:

photo_1_13_.JPG
photo_3_10_1.JPG
photo_4_6_.JPG
photo_2_13_.JPG

Day 23...Transplant day for the 7 dwarfs

A day after watering I started the transplant. I continued to use FFOF soil. I will be using 4 gallon pots for their new home. I started adding soil to the pot, about 3" at a time, moistening the soil with a mister as I went. I just added enough water to make the soil moist, not wet. I lightly patted the soil as I went filling until the right height. I placed an empty pot in the soil and formed a mold to put the plant in. I set up seven pots and was ready to go.

photoTX_1.jpg
photoTX_2.jpg
photoTX_3.jpg
photoTX_4.jpg

After setting the molds I took each girl and gently inverted the pot, placing fingers under the top soil. I gently squeezed and tapped the pot and gravity did the rest. The plants had very nice root formation and fit perfectly into their new homes. I placed a little more top soil on each and watered with distilled water until they leaked out of their pot holes. 7 plants drank 3 gallons between them. They were placed back under the light and left alone to get used to the new home.
Tell me what you think...comments and criticism appreciated! :thumb:
photo_1_14_1_-_Edited_3_.JPG
photo_2_14_1_-_Edited.JPG
photo_3_11_1_-_Edited.JPG

photo_13.PNG
photo_21.PNG
photo_3.PNG
photo_41.PNG
photo_5_5_.JPG

Day 31 Bushy widows...ladies showing sex...11 finger leafs...Flower soon?

Lots of growth with the girls. Decided not to top them and keep it simple for my first grow. Noticing some 11 finger leafs have shown on a few of them. They are growing at least 1" per day except for Grumpy who has grown 4+" in 3 days! Not sure what strain she is but she is taking off. I notice female hairs in a couple of the girls. I will hopefully confirm all 7 WW as being female by week end. The White Widows range from 7.5" to 9". I have to start thinking 12/12 soon. The grow space has to be considered. It's been 5 days since watering and they are finally drying out. I expect to water again tomorrow with 1/3 FF nutrients.
Please tell me what you guys think. I'd love some comments or critique!:ganjamon:

Pictures 1-4 Are of Grumpy, the beast...what is it? :hmmmm:
Picture 5 Is Happy :)
Picture 6 Is Dopey :Rasta:
Picture 7 Is a group photo of the ladies...The Seven Dwarfs :party:
photo_2_24_.JPG
photo_4_11_.JPG
photo_4_12_.JPG

photo_1_25_.JPG
photo_3_21_.JPG
photo_3_22_.JPG
photo_5_8_.JPG

Day 39 Today we flip to 12/12 HPS...Girls looking good!

Today is day 39 of the grow and the first day of flowering after switching from 18/6 MH to 12/12 HPS.
The girls look very healthy even though they've only been watered twice with 1/4 nutes. They seem like they can thrive off the FF soil and distilled water. I'll continue feeding nutes using the FF schedule at 1/3 strength.
All 6 of the indica WW have shown female hairs. The sativa WW is still doing whatever she wants but looks healthy and no signs of hermie yet.
Lots of 11 finger leaves and bushy vegitation. I decided to flip today because the plants are ranging from 12-15" (the wild child is 22" :thedoubletake:)
Please tell me what you think, I'm working hard to keep the girls healthy! :high-five:
The HPS light is much more orange than the MH so the pictures aren't the best.

photo_1_33_.JPG
photo_2_31_.JPG
photo_1_31_.JPG
photo_3_27_.JPG
photo_3_29_.JPG
photo_2_30_.JPG
photo_1_28_1.JPG
photo_4_17_.JPG

I agree. Going to be bushy as hell. I guess it's a good problem to have! Today the monster is 25" tall and only 9" from the light...healthy so far.

Thankfully I was home yesterday when my HPS bulb blew 1 hour into day 2 of flowering. I quickly removed the bulb and replaced it with the MH. I ran out to my local grow shop and grabbed a new HPS bulb. I'm sure the plants won't miss a beat because I was there to catch it.
I haven't moved the height of the light over the canopy hoping to stop the monster from stretching, I notice the girls are leveling out in height. Grumpy is still 25" (10" from light) and the other 6 dwarfs range from 14-17" (18-21"from the light).

Day 44 The start of week 2 flowering and it's a sea of green

Today is day 7 of flowering after a 5 week veg. The 6 Indica dom White Widow have such compact nodes compared to their Sativa sister. The Indicas continue to produce 11 and 13 finger leaves. They are pretty big, dark green fan leaves. The Sativa has been a constant skinny 7 finger leaf. The wild child is now at 27" and the other 6 dwarfs are equal at 24". I have the HPS lamp at 18" above the canopy, 15" above Grumpy. So far she shows no signs of distress from being so close. The room is 77 degrees and my hand doesn't get hot till about 5" from the glass. I watered them with straight distilled water, no nutes this feeding. They are drinking 1/2 gallon every 3-4 days. Floor space is still managable but I am planning for tight quarters. I purchased a closet rod that will allow me to hang oscillating fans above the canopy.
Hope to hear some questions or comments.

Pictures 1, 2 show the Indica dom White Widow leaves. Fat and large with 11-13 fingers

photo_4_20_.JPG
photo_1_35_.JPG

Picture 3 shows the Sativa dom White Widow's skinny 7 finger leaf

photo_2_32_.JPG

Pictures 4, 5 and 6 show a group photo of the 7 dwarfs with a solo of Grumpy, the Sativa that decided to flower on day 20

photo_2_34_.JPG
photo_3_31_.JPG
photo_1_34_.JPG

Pictures 7, 8 and 9 show how compact the nodes are on these Indica White Widow's.

photo_4_17_.JPG
photo_4_19_.JPG
photo_2_33_.JPG

Back
Top Bottom