Pulsar mini?

fillabong420

has anyone heard of or used this light before? i saw it my recent wormsway catalouge and it was suprisingly cheap for what it is. from what i understand its an all in one conversion ballast..lol ill jsut type the print about it.

PULSAR MINI
HID SWITCH HITTER
sunleaves pulsar two way mini are self-contained lighting systems that accommodate either high pressure sodium or metal halide lamps(sold separately).provide the proper spectrum of light from seed to harvest with a simple flip of a switch. pulsar two-way minis are available in 250- and 400-watts sizes and feature a faceted polished aluminum interior, built-in HID ballast, eight-foot cord and hanging hardware. mini pulsars are backed by a five-year warranty. there is also an ooptional sunleaves pulsar mini lens to protect installed lamps(sold separately).

400 watt two way mini $240.00(american currency.lol)
pulsar 250 watt two-way mini $190.00

would this be a good buy?
has anyone used it?
I'd greatly appriciate feed back.

I have one, the 250 watt. It is as good as any 250 watter with a 3ft. by 3ft. foot print at most , but being the all in one it runs a bit hot, and has no ventilation fan built in. I modified mine by cutting a 4 inch hole in the hood and conected a inline fan for cooling and it now runs alot cooler.
I personaly love it due to the fact you can do an entire veg/bloom cycle just by changing the bulb, fliping the switch, and changing the timer. It is also great due to it producing just enough for my meds needs. All said and done though, I'd love to up grade to a 400 or 600 watt cool tube hps of some sort with a seperatated ballast.

hey ganjaG do you have any harvest pics from your light setup?

I own a Pulsar Mini 400w switchable MH/HPS ballast. I used it for my last grow and it worked well. If I were you, I would spend the money and get the 400w switchable like I did because it will allow you to grow with that one set-up from start to finish. Also, the 400w is alot more powerful then the 250w and with a small difference in price I see this as a no brainer. Pros and Cons as follows...

Pros:
- One system for growing from start to finish. Accepts both MH and HPS with the flip of a switch.
- Alot of power in one "small" package. No seperete ballast and reflectors, the entire system is one unit.
- Perfect for small grow rooms with about 6-10 plants, where space is limited and room for a ballast is non-existent.
- Made of high-quality materials that will last a long time. The circuit breaker I had the light on tripped once due to an overloaded circuit (running too many other things on the same circuit at once, ie heater and radio), but upon resetting my system still works fine.

Cons:
- This system is HEAVY. Because it is an all in one unit, it is quite heavy. Using normal chains it is a pain to move it up or down. I usuallly need a second set of hands to accomplish this. Light hangers with pullys and an acceptable weight limit would be better, but so far I have not seen any that will accept this system due to the heavy weight.
- It gets pretty hot, at least the 400w model does. You must have adequate ventillation to keep temps. normal. Also, there is no cut out in the system to ventilate it directly so other methods must be used.
- Safety lens is sold seperate. I bought one, and it's kind of stupid not to spend the extra $15 on it when you paid $200+ for the system. Still I feel it should be included at no extra charge.
- No room for expansion. As a one-piece system there is no way to change to different wattage ballasts or different style reflectors.
- Expensive. After buying the system and corresponding bulbs it can hit the wallet kind of hard.

The Pulsar Mini has fullfilled my needs just fine. It may or may not be what you are looking for. The price is worth it if it suits your growing style because it certainly is a high-quality system. :peace:

Sory no pictures of harvest, but I can say that when doing a strait 12/12 grow I can get a nice 1/8 to 1/4 off each plant, I usaually do about 18 plants in a 3ft by 3ft area, while rotating plants below the light dayly for beter light distrubition. on the other hand If doing a veg 18/6 and then 12/12, one plant can yeild as much as the 18 smaller ones, just in how you like to grow. I just don't like all my eggs in one basket plus I like the ganja forest effect. I have had the light for over a year now and I have never had any issues with it, even through power serge seasons (spring/fall). Like I said though, it is only the 250 watts and I'd like a bit more juice like roorman's 400 watts.

hmm it seems as though this would be a very good buy. thansk guys! what purpose does the lens serve? just keeps the lights humidity free?

i've heard and seen commercialag catalogs listing the glass lenses as necessary for UL
listing or approval that a safety rating on house stuff

ie christmas light that don't start fires etc i think the explosion factor for the bulbs is the reason

It says on the box the lens "aids in ventalation" but the lady at the store I got mine at said to get it because you can get the light closer to the plants and not burn them. So basicly for heat reflection purposes, but I think also if the bulb explodes, oil from your fingers weaken the glass when at high tempertures.

You are all correct. The safety lens is meant to contain the bulb if it breaks and also acts as a shield to prevent the plants from making direct contact with the hot bulb.

The Mini-Pulsar is a great system but I feel the the safety lens should be included at no extra charge given the price of the system. However, I do see it as necessary and I bought one for mine.

wow so im thinking this is my miracle light! thansk guys. the 15 dollars extra wont really bother me. not as long as i know im going to grow some quality pot.lol

well fatjoe, if my lack of knowledge could make a difference in your day then all is not lost.lol

hey roorman, um did you happen to grow that diesel with this light?

Personally I think they are way over priced but then again.., I got my 1k HPS for $75.00. All parts including the glass I spent maybe $120.00. I have a air cooled 1k remote ballast (allows the hot ballast to be removed from the grow room) HPS to show for it too.:cheesygrinsmiley: My 400's I have I got for even less. Parking lot lights and a few extension cords go a long way IMO.lol If I wanted them switchable I could add a $3.00 switch to isolate out the ignitor and run MH bulbs in them as well. That's all a switchable ballast is. A simple witch that adds or takes the ignitor into or out of the circuit. Nothing fancy or special. They (switchables) have been around for years now.
Personally while it's nice to have the ability to run both HPS and MH...most people use these for flower mainly and seldome switch out the bulbs. I used to buy conversion bulbs but realized the hassle of switching them out wasn't worth it. the difference in growth was nil if there was any at all. I run floros for vegt and HPS for flower. I run a perpetual grow as well so my veg is in a different box as well.

I guess I will have to buy 8-12 of these new "Odor Killer" cfl's to see if they take all the taste outta my buds eh? Be interesting to take out the fan for the heat (LED's) and the fan for the carbon filter, and just use one fan for circulation and fresh air :) Wishful thinking eh? They are coming down to about 4 dollars each for the 100 watters.

As for expensive, I don't realy agree. You have to expect to pay a bit more for quality. It has a five year warranty, I doubt anything you get on ebay will do you that. Plus it is compact, quiet, and gets the job done start to finish, granted, I'm now into the whole strait 12/12 method and use only the hps function. But I intend on mixing it up untill I find the best method for me. Thusly this light is also versitile. I'm sure there are beter lights out there and I easyly can name this lights flaws, but every light has it's draw back. all and all it is pretty decent for what it is.

...hey roorman, um did you happen to grow that diesel with this light?

No. The NYCD I grew was done using floros. for veg and a 250w HPS for flowering. It should say that in my NYCD post. I used the 400w for another grow featuring 4 bagseed females and it worked very well.

Back
Top Bottom