Question about pistils: what should they look like and what does it say about plant health?

Tony Urban

View media item 1754962

There are some bud pictures where the pistils are covered in trichomes. Some are not.

Is this strictly genetic? Is it indicating plant health in late flower? What exactly should a healthy pistil look like in various stages of growth?

I am going to use Colas photo because, well his sun kissed buds are clear to see.

full

Alright. I will bump this since it was moved. Since posting earlier I have looked into this a bit.

The question brought forth to me was, shouldn't the pistils have trichomes or hairs, and aren't red hairs an indication of a plant health issue?

Since posting I have looked into this a bit. So far MY answer is not exactly. The pistils purpose is to catch pollen and bring it back to the calyx for happy fun time. Trichomes and pistils are two different designed parts of a plant that have different functions. They are not related.

Different strains have different colours and "hairiness" of the pistils. The pigmentation variations in the pistils are genetic. Exaggerated or muted by environment.

The only mention of colour or condition of pistils in reference to health, has to do with either late flower fox tailing, or early pollination and visible signs of the plant changing. Foxtailing being white pistils rather than red and the pollination resulting in pistils retreating into the calyx and dying.

Essentially. All of these red haired nuggets are within the acceptable range of that particular strains genetics growing in those conditions. A healthy plant at harvest and cured.

This is my little bit of sleuthing. Rather buzzed. Does anyone disagree?

Alright. I will bump this since it was moved. Since posting earlier I have looked into this a bit.

The question brought forth to me was, shouldn't the pistils have trichomes or hairs, and aren't red hairs an indication of a plant health issue?

Since posting I have looked into this a bit. So far MY answer is not exactly. The pistils purpose is to catch pollen and bring it back to the calyx for happy fun time. Trichomes and pistils are two different designed parts of a plant that have different functions. They are not related.

Different strains have different colours and "hairiness" of the pistils. The pigmentation variations in the pistils are genetic. Exaggerated or muted by environment.

The only mention of colour or condition of pistils in reference to health, has to do with either late flower fox tailing, or early pollination and visible signs of the plant changing. Foxtailing being white pistils rather than red and the pollination resulting in pistils retreating into the calyx and dying.

Essentially. All of these red haired nuggets are within the acceptable range of that particular strains genetics growing in those conditions. A healthy plant at harvest and cured.

This is my little bit of sleuthing. Rather buzzed. Does anyone disagree?

Who are you?????

:hmmmm:

Lots of posts, assume yer old name

And that was??????

UrbanAchiever
Like 2 min after I posted it I figured it out

Congrats on the cornfusion of a name change

Be a battle for months...lol

Back
Top Bottom