Question about watering

COMBAT

I have a plant outdoors in soil in flower week 3. I currently water twice per week with nutrients.
Should I continue to do this or should I water once with water and once with nutrients?

Hi Combat. Your watering should always be based on the plants' need. Soil in a pot or container may dry out and need watering more frequently than soil in the ground. The ground may hold water longer and also receive extra water from rain, dew or other local sources: lakes, river, stream etc. If you've gotten this far, you've likely used to when your plants need watering.

You can continue to feed right to the end. Most growers begin to taper off fertilizer as you're approaching harvest. Flushing remains a controversial subject, but I have yet to read anything that provides evidence of its benefit. That said, the plant will move it's own stores of macro nutrients (NPK) around within itself as needed. It's totally normal to start getting lower leaves turning yellow and coming off, as flowering proceeds.

Best of luck, maybe post some pics. Cheers

Hi Thanks for the info.
I read that I should water once with water then the next time add nutrients. Is this not correct?

You guys recommend just feed every time until I flush it at the end?

Hi Thanks for the info.
I read that I should water once with water then the next time add nutrients. Is this not correct?

You guys recommend just feed every time until I flush it at the end?
Feed until the end. Water when your plant needs it, not per “x” days.

Take a look at the “no flush” link in my signature. @InTheShed did the work and debunked flushing to remove nutes from the flower awhile back.

Only flush if you’re flushing residual salt that may have built up over time from bottle nutes.

I’m not really sure how flushing would work outdoors. We can’t grow outdoors here, so no experience.

Hello - if you have no yellow tips continue to feed until week 8 then water for the last week or two, or you can drought it for the last week which is said to improve potency
Not all strains finish off in that short of time, so be careful with that advice.

I’ve had sativa dominant go 21 weeks and a handful go 18. My average hybrid photos go 15 weeks. Imagine if I was to take your advice and cut supply off at week 8…. Stop feeding then and you’ll end up with under developed airy buds.

The whole stop feeding towards the end will only starve your plants when they will most likely still need good feed at week 8. That’s mid-end swell in photoperiod land.

Autos may be a different story.

Not all strains finish off in that short of time, so be careful with that advice.

I’ve had sativa dominant go 21 weeks and a handful go 18. My average hybrid photos go 15 weeks. Imagine if I was to take your advice and cut supply off at week 8…. Stop feeding then and you’ll end up with under developed airy buds.

The whole stop feeding towards the end will only starve your plants when they will most likely still need good feed at week 8. That’s mid-end swell in photoperiod land.

Autos may be a different story.
Roger that, I was basing it on a 9/10 week auto

Roger that, I was basing it on a 9/10 week auto
Man! I’ve got to try autos at some point. Photo flower periods drag on forever sometimes.

Especially if you like more amber like me.

Hi guys Thanks for the info.
I have also grown about 15 autos outdoor. They usually only produce 7-14 grams so I have moved to just doing photoperiods. From my experience autos only sem worth it if yiu are growing indoor and can smash them with at least 18 hours of light per day. My mate pulls a pound per plant off austos doing this. I am also just a beginner so others mite get better results but I haven't beaten the 14 g per plant with autos yet. My record with photos is 3 Oz so far as I can't grow to tall but I'm hoping with training and a bit of planning I can beat that next grow

Man! I’ve got to try autos at some point. Photo flower periods drag on forever sometimes.

Especially if you like more amber like me.
Give a try at White Widow auto and Amnesia. I've been growing them in potting mix, outside, with great results. Averaging +100g per plant.
Jack Herer every year for personal stash
I love some of the older cultivars. JH is on my list to try.
They usually only produce 7-14 grams so I have moved to just doing photoperiods
Autoflower strains need a bit of babying. Soil may not be the best media. I use a generic potting mix, add some commercial compost mix and a couple spades of garden soil for micronutrients. Also, I put seed sprouts into a compostable paper cup 400-500ml, then after 2 weeks into it's full size container, a 40L Rubbermaid bin.

Hi guys Thanks for the info.
I have also grown about 15 autos outdoor. They usually only produce 7-14 grams so I have moved to just doing photoperiods. From my experience autos only sem worth it if yiu are growing indoor and can smash them with at least 18 hours of light per day. My mate pulls a pound per plant off austos doing this. I am also just a beginner so others mite get better results but I haven't beaten the 14 g per plant with autos yet. My record with photos is 3 Oz so far as I can't grow to tall but I'm hoping with training and a bit of planning I can beat that next grow
This will be a 4oz auto pinched at node 3

DSC_1172.JPG

Jack Herer every year for personal stash
Jack Herer x OG Kush is the one that took 21 weeks to finish off. I was running built soil and compost teas, so that had a lot to do with it.
I ran a couple clones from them with MC and was closer to 15 weeks if memory serves me right.

Give a try at White Widow auto and Amnesia. I've been growing them in potting mix, outside, with great results. Averaging +100g per plant.

Autoflower strains need a bit of babying. Soil may not be the best media. I use a generic potting mix, add some commercial compost mix and a couple spades of garden soil for micronutrients. Also, I put seed sprouts into a compostable paper cup 400-500ml, then after 2 weeks into it's full size container, a 40L Rubbermaid bin.
With photos you can usually get 3 times that much. That’s mainly why I run them. 9-12 oz per is where I usually land when I’m not over crowding the space and/or not really focusing on the grow. Lol!

I always run 8 weeks+ Veg and typically 12-18 weeks average, strain dependent, in flower.

I had a Gorilla Glue x Girl Scout Cookies finish off in 12 weeks one time, but was probably more like 8 oz. I think.

What breeder do you use for the auto white widow and amnesia?

Hmmm. Bought them from True North. Some were Sweet Seeds, some Canuk. Think there was another breeder too. Tried to select from breeders with well known reputation.

Week 5, outdoor in soil. (1st sentence)
"I have a plant outdoors in soil in flower week 3." (1st sentence):) Had to go back and check 'cause I had thought it was about 2 or 3 weeks. I have made the same sort of typo mysel;) so I know what it is like.

I have a plant outdoors in soil in flower week 3. I currently water twice per week with nutrients.
Should I continue to do this or should I water once with water and once with nutrients?
Outdoors in soil and I have to figure that the are also in pots and not directly in the ground. Planted in the ground would make it a whole new experience with its own requirements.

Watering twice a week while in the vegetating stage with a dose of nutrients and fertilizer every other time would probably work. Now that the plant is in 'week 3' the frequency of watering and definitely the frequency of adding nutrients is going to change; sometimes a drastic change.

There is the chance that if the plant is a decent size it will be using a lot more water now that it is flowering. Plus, during the flowering stage the plant is definitely making a heavy demand on the soil for nutrients.

It is not that uncommon to read about growers who are watering just about every day once the plant is several weeks into flower. The growers might take a day off if there is a heavy rain storm. In order to meet the flowering nutrient demands of the plant the grower is at the point where they are adding something every other watering which often means a dose of nutrients every other day.

Back
Top Bottom