Question that is driving me nuts

Guy Fawkes

Ok so for some reason I cant seem to figure out if when I flush my water every Friday do I just add nutes that one time and top off with fresh ph'd water or with say half strength?

Ive consistentlybeen getting nute burn by topping off with nute solution. The same solution I filled up with so same strength.

Thanks.

Re: Question that is driving me nuts ...

Do you have a EC/ppm meter?? if so what is your ppm?? when you change the res, mix your solution to say right around 500 ppm, if by monday your solution is up to 650, then thin it out to 400 with fresh water and see what it does by friday. If it is constantly climbing, then you need to thin it out to a point where it is not climbing a lot but not dropping a lot. there is no point in topping up a hot solution with more nutrients though, thin it out with straight water until the solution starts staying close to the right ppm level.

Well thats the funny thing its always sucking in the nutes, but then seems to get nute burn if I keep giving it that much all week. Usually PPM is around 300-350.

I also did some trimming today, and im not sure if that was a good idea or not. I removed a few branches with popcorn buds that wont amount to anything. Im about 2 months into flower and still white hairs all over. I have been battling nute burn and PH issues this whole grow (1st) so a lot I have done wrong.

are you sure it is nute burn your seeing?? are the tips burning and curling upwards?? do you have pictures??

Yes the tips have been curling up and its along the edges of the leaf. It started out at just the tips though. I did just check the PH and it actually rose some instead of dropping. Which makes sense because the PPM dropped by like half. Sorry no pics, I need to get a camera or something soon.

Plants only take nutrients out of the water as they need them, and leave what they don't need. They don't take water and nutrients in at even proportions. When you start with a full reservoir and add the required strength of nutes that's fine, but as the plant takes in more water than nutes, then at half a reservoir the concentration of nutes has doubled. So when you top off with same strength, you're adding a lot more nutes, it's best to top with pH water, or start with a new fresh reservoir with the correct strength.

This happens a lot in smaller reservoir's when you top off with same strength nutes.

So I have learned that plants and systems like different pH. And pH can look like nuts burn if not adjusted correctly for your specific setup . my dwc liked a pH of 6.0 while my recirc drip likes closer to 6.3 and I've heard most people recommend around 5.8 to start . but I'm still learning and new myself

Back
Top Bottom