Quick cloning question

AkThunderFunk

This is my first grow and have a couple quick questions regarding the cloning process. I've been growing my mother plant for some time now, with good success, and felt she was ready to pop out a few children. 12 to be exact. After a lot of research and reading, I worked up the nuts to cut up my mother. The cuts were made at 45 degree angles, and the bottom quarter inch lightly scraped. Than I dipped it in clonex gel, and placed it in a tray with root shooter cubes (the ones presoaked with A.N. Nutes) after all 12 were cut n in their cubes, I sprayed a very fine mist on the cubes, and covered with a clear plastic cover. 2-3 inches above the cover are 3 fluoros that run 24 hrs a day. I live in a pretty cold environment so overheating isn't much of an issue. Everything seemed to go smooth, but than I woke up this morning only to see some very sad saggy leaves on the clones. No major discoloration, just kind've droopy. Oh, and I did trim the fan leaves. So I guess my question would be, is this normal? do most clones droop a little at first, after being cut from the mother, as a result of stress possibly? Or is there something that I missed or that I could do to help the little guys? I do have a heat mat I got from local grow store but seems to get waaaay to hot if just left plugged in. I could potentially put it on a timer and run it in smaller intervals if y'all think it would be of any benefit. The room sits at 71-74 degrees pretty steady. Thank you. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Its quite normal for clones to sag after trimming from mother plant for a few days plus if stressed !

From my own experience i loose 25% of my cuttings this may include weak cuttings/clones once finally rooted into starting plug of choice, choosing the strongest to provide next round of plants.

I do not normally add or pre-soak starter cubes with nutrients for cuttings/clones & favour just the clonex dip and find the strongest cutting/clones showing roots by the day 10 to 14 days on average, any weak cutting will off diminshed by then !

Just keep spraying the leaves so they get water that way until the roots take over. I often have yellowing leaves by the time the clone is rooting even dying leaves....but who cares i yank all lower growth once the plant takes off anyway....it all bounces back once in the growing medium.

My Tip: Clones prefer a more humid and moist environment so I often spray down the lid to my clone dome but if you use plastic before you cover the clones up soak it to mimic a rain like environment. :goodluck:

Ok. So it is a normal occurrence. Thank you, it's my first time so I worry about every little thing. Just trying to be patient and not freak out prematurely and overdue anything. From everything I've read, that's how most newbs end up killing their stuff. Thanks again for the help and advice. Much appreciated.

I over-analyze too! It is typical of indoor grows to over tinker with things. Cloning is an art that really only very few people can do without any die off. I usually have most clones make it but it is a long two weeks when flipping up the cubes peeking for roots daily. the best deal with clones is take your time clipping leaves, making sure there is plenty of rooting gel, prepping the stems with a cut or scratching them a little and then setting them down the next three days with zero interaction other then the spraying of the tops. if tops change color or even droop let it be, trying to take water in solely through the leaves stresses the plant but after three or four days uncover them from the humidity dome and let them start taking in fresh air. I keep spraying them twicea day more if they are drying out fast and do nothing more until at least a week. That is when I start peeking and usually one has started ....do not plant until there is a lot of healthy roots and try to make sure the roots don't stay soaked all the time else they will brown up....good roots are birght white and usually take from 10-14 days.:high-five:

And never use nutes on a clone until it has roots....never spray anything but water. the yellowing leaves are usually a sign it is using the energy stored there to grow.....never nute until the clone has a good root base and is in your grow medium.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom