Rand Paul Now Opposed to Medical Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Back in May, when Kentucky Republican Rand Paul defeated an establishment candidate to win his party’s nomination for the U.S. Senate, I pointed out that one of the issues Paul used to win over voters was his support of medical marijuana laws.

Now, in a telling political move, the son of Ron Paul has reversed his stance on the issue, telling the Associated Press last week that “he is opposed to the legalization of marijuana, even for medicinal purposes.” (He also stated that he doesn’t think the government’s war on drugs is “a real pressing issue” and that he wants to cut federal funding for drug treatment programs.)

Gee, I wonder if this has anything to do with that episode from his past that’s been discussed so much in the news lately. Is Paul selling out medical marijuana patients as part of a strategy to deflect criticism? Or am I being too cynical?

For the record, Paul’s Democratic opponent, Jack Conway, isn’t much better when it comes to marijuana issues, and has received police endorsements because of his support for tougher law enforcement strategies.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: opposingviews.com
Author: Mike Meno - Marijuana Policy Project
Copyright: 2010 Opposing Views, Inc.
Website: Opposing Views: Rand Paul Now Opposed to Medical Marijuana

This makes me very sad, and a little angry.

I think Rand is probably still the lesser of evils, but for a while there I really thought he was a true lover of liberty.

I'm definitely writing a letter to both Rand and Ron Paul (who frequently campaigns and fundraises for Rand) to let them know they no longer have my support.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I won't be fooled again.

Sad, but a politician. At a time we need statesmen, we have . . . the same ol' sh!t!

Looked into this a bit more... the source article is purported to have been posted by the Marijuana Policy Project. However, I was unable to find ANYTHING about this on the organization's official website.

Further, I have thus far been able to find ANY other source for this information.

I'm waiting to be convinced one way or the other, but right now the claims made in the source article aren't passing the smell test.

I looked too and couldn't find it.

Opposingviews.com is like Wikipedia. Anybody and their mother can post "information and opinions."

Ron Paul has been very consistent in his views, but I don't know as much about Rand. Ron's a good guy, and he'd get my vote if America decides it's ready for real change.

This information is only as accurate as Mike Meno (author) says it is.

AP shows nothing, and that’s the source quoted by Meno.

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers. " Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for sharing the link, greengo840. There is so much misinformation on the internet; it is nice to be able to confirm the info even if from a newspaper. hmmmm

Thank you for finding the article. I'm not a fan of the Washington Post, but until Rand Paul and/or the Campaign for Liberty denounces the claims in this article, they will no longer receive my financial support. (I still support most of what they do, and will participate in pro-liberty events where I know my time/money isn't going to support a plant nazi.)

Back
Top Bottom