Recommended LED or COB

Fatlad

Hi guys I currently use 2 x 600 watt hps lights in my grow room ... My grow room size is 7 ft by 9 ft fully lined and kitted out ... I'm thinking of going down the led or cob route but dont have a clue on what to look at or most importantly what to invest in ... I usually grow 8 plants but gonna downsize to 6 on the next so they can make the most of the room space ... any ideas of what to get would be most welcome but please bare in mind I'm from the uk so anything abroad will have to be shipped here .. thanks

Did I read that correctly, that you've only got 1,200 watts of light in a 63 square foot grow room? That's WAY too little light. As in less than half what it ought to have.

Assuming I did read it correctly... If the reason why you're considering trying a different type of lighting is because your buds are loose, skimpy, and there aren't very many of them, lol - it's not because you're using the wrong kind, it's because you're not using enough of it.

Hey Fatlad,

TorturedSoul made some solid points. We can recommend some great lighting options we sell. However, we would like to understand the concerns you are having and what you are really after. The space you mentioned requires a lot more light. However, the growing footprint is what is critical.

Right guys I'm still pretty new to this and still learning ... my actual room size is 2.4 mtr x 3 mtrs just measured it .. this is only my second grow in this room in which the previous produced about 3.5 ounce per plant and big colas ... previously before that I used a 1.2 x 2 meter tent which on average produced the same amount maybe a bit more with the same light ... I just go of the theory 1 light per 4 plants maybe I'm wrong .. anyway here's some pics of my room and 8 candy kush which are 3 week into flower .. and yes I know i should have scrogged lol lazy growing and didnt realize they would stretch that much but they got veg for a good time .. let me know what you guys think and thanks for the replys

Attachments

• 20190926_070523.jpg
    20190926_070523.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 20190926_070422.jpg
    20190926_070422.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 20190926_070353.jpg
    20190926_070353.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190926_070334.jpg
    20190926_070334.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 149
The problem with sizing your lighting by number of plants is... You can grow a cannabis plant in a 1.5-ounce Solo cup (trust me - there's a thread here). You can also grow one that fills the area of a bedroom. And every size in between. I used to routinely do single-plant SCROG grows of eight square feet each. At other times, I did SOG (dense planting style) of four and (a couple of times) even nine plants per square foot. I recently saw one on Reddit - it was the winning entry in some kind of grow contest in Colorado, if I remember correctly - that covered something like 64 square feet of area. And I do mean covered. I don't know if this is still true, but at least in the past, criminal charges/penalties in parts of Australia were largely based not on the harvest yield (or potential yield)... but on the number of plants in the grow. As you can probably imagine, this made it advantageous to grow as few plants as possible, in the event that the grower got caught. But... you know... People grow for bud, not because they feel like growing a random plant or two (or not entirely for that reason, at least ;) ). So there have been some extremely well-lit plants in Australia. Like 10,000 watts of intense lighting - or more - for one plant.

Unless you have special needs which require significant amounts of open space in your grow room... You're generally going to be better off sizing your lighting to your grow space. Then you can fill that space with plants in whatever fashion you desire. If you find yourself thinking, "But I don't need that much bud!" well, one can usually find a thankful recipient of a gift or two, lol. But, in addition to that, if that is the case, then consider downsizing your grow space. You'll get more use out of your lights when they're sized to the space than when they're in a larger room than they can properly illuminate. If that makes sense. There's the inverse square law of lighting. Er... Here's a link:
Code:
https://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/isql.html

Basically, light spreads out over distance. One result of that is, every time you double the distance, the intensity decreases to one quarter instead of half. Now if you're parking one light directly over a plant or two, you might think that this is completely irrelevant. However, you'd be wrong. Even though the bulk of the illumination that light generates might (and probably does) fall generally in the location where your plant(s) is/are, it's impossible not to have some "scatter" of the photons. Otherwise, you could walk into your grow space, shut the door behind you - and you'd be in a space that was completely dark except for some well-lit plants. So you're wasting a non-insignificant percentage of your light. If your lighting setup isn't... if your room isn't properly sized for your lighting setup, you can't really get much use out of that "scatter" because even if you place plants off to the side, they probably won't receive enough light for that light to be useful. Shrink - and size - the room properly, though, and you can add those plants, and they will produce.

For the sake of completeness, I should probably point out that this is true for pretty much all light sources - including Sol, our sun. The reason we don't really notice it with the sun is... Well, the light has already traveled 93,000,000 miles (give or take) by the time it even reaches the outer limits of our planet's atmosphere - so the difference between the intensity of the sunlight at ten feet above ground level and that of sunlight five feet AGL is so small as to require really accurate measuring devices to even detect. But, yes, the law still applies. Break one of the laws of man and it might get your name in the paper. Figure out how to break one of the laws of physics, though... and you'll become famous.

Also, when growing under multiple lights, there's a thing called the "third light effect," which states something like... (apologies, I'm on about my 43rd hour of no sleep and there's a fog rolling in) Okay, you have two lights. Off to the side of one light, there'll be a region that still gets some illumination, but not enough to really be useful. If you have another light, way the <BLEEP> over there, then the same thing in regards to it. Move the lights close enough together, and those two regions are sharing the same physical space and - thus the name - the amount of illumination (photons - light-energy, if you will) provides a virtual "third light effect" where you can usefully grow plants.

And then there are the walls of your grow space. If they're "distant territory," so to speak, then they're just walls. Useful - but only as walls. Move them closer in, prep, prime, and paint them with flat (or eggshell if you want to be able to clean them without repainting) bright white paint, and they're now reflectors, which also help you use your lighting more efficiently. Or use Orca Film if you've got the coin, because it's probably the best thing in terms of light reflectivity. If you can't afford that - and CBA to properly paint the walls - then mylar, assuming you install it so that it's flat instead of wrinkled or creased. Reflectix duct insulation if you're really poor and want to go begging scraps at a construction or house build site, lol. And, if you're using a grow tent, the same holds true - size everything correctly in regards to each other, and you'll derive more benefit from all of it.

This is going to be the same, to a large extent, regardless of what type of lighting you end up with, and regardless of whether that lighting is all of one type or mixed. <SHRUGS> It's just physics, lol.

The problem with sizing your lighting by number of plants is... You can grow a cannabis plant in a 1.5-ounce Solo cup (trust me - there's a thread here). You can also grow one that fills the area of a bedroom. And every size in between. I used to routinely do single-plant SCROG grows of eight square feet each. At other times, I did SOG (dense planting style) of four and (a couple of times) even nine plants per square foot. I recently saw one on Reddit - it was the winning entry in some kind of grow contest in Colorado, if I remember correctly - that covered something like 64 square feet of area. And I do mean covered. I don't know if this is still true, but at least in the past, criminal charges/penalties in parts of Australia were largely based not on the harvest yield (or potential yield)... but on the number of plants in the grow. As you can probably imagine, this made it advantageous to grow as few plants as possible, in the event that the grower got caught. But... you know... People grow for bud, not because they feel like growing a random plant or two (or not entirely for that reason, at least ;) ). So there have been some extremely well-lit plants in Australia. Like 10,000 watts of intense lighting - or more - for one plant.

Unless you have special needs which require significant amounts of open space in your grow room... You're generally going to be better off sizing your lighting to your grow space. Then you can fill that space with plants in whatever fashion you desire. If you find yourself thinking, "But I don't need that much bud!" well, one can usually find a thankful recipient of a gift or two, lol. But, in addition to that, if that is the case, then consider downsizing your grow space. You'll get more use out of your lights when they're sized to the space than when they're in a larger room than they can properly illuminate. If that makes sense. There's the inverse square law of lighting. Er... Here's a link:
Code:
https://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/isql.html

Basically, light spreads out over distance. One result of that is, every time you double the distance, the intensity decreases to one quarter instead of half. Now if you're parking one light directly over a plant or two, you might think that this is completely irrelevant. However, you'd be wrong. Even though the bulk of the illumination that light generates might (and probably does) fall generally in the location where your plant(s) is/are, it's impossible not to have some "scatter" of the photons. Otherwise, you could walk into your grow space, shut the door behind you - and you'd be in a space that was completely dark except for some well-lit plants. So you're wasting a non-insignificant percentage of your light. If your lighting setup isn't... if your room isn't properly sized for your lighting setup, you can't really get much use out of that "scatter" because even if you place plants off to the side, they probably won't receive enough light for that light to be useful. Shrink - and size - the room properly, though, and you can add those plants, and they will produce.

For the sake of completeness, I should probably point out that this is true for pretty much all light sources - including Sol, our sun. The reason we don't really notice it with the sun is... Well, the light has already traveled 93,000,000 miles (give or take) by the time it even reaches the outer limits of our planet's atmosphere - so the difference between the intensity of the sunlight at ten feet above ground level and that of sunlight five feet AGL is so small as to require really accurate measuring devices to even detect. But, yes, the law still applies. Break one of the laws of man and it might get your name in the paper. Figure out how to break one of the laws of physics, though... and you'll become famous.

Also, when growing under multiple lights, there's a thing called the "third light effect," which states something like... (apologies, I'm on about my 43rd hour of no sleep and there's a fog rolling in) Okay, you have two lights. Off to the side of one light, there'll be a region that still gets some illumination, but not enough to really be useful. If you have another light, way the <BLEEP> over there, then the same thing in regards to it. Move the lights close enough together, and those two regions are sharing the same physical space and - thus the name - the amount of illumination (photons - light-energy, if you will) provides a virtual "third light effect" where you can usefully grow plants.

And then there are the walls of your grow space. If they're "distant territory," so to speak, then they're just walls. Useful - but only as walls. Move them closer in, prep, prime, and paint them with flat (or eggshell if you want to be able to clean them without repainting) bright white paint, and they're now reflectors, which also help you use your lighting more efficiently. Or use Orca Film if you've got the coin, because it's probably the best thing in terms of light reflectivity. If you can't afford that - and CBA to properly paint the walls - then mylar, assuming you install it so that it's flat instead of wrinkled or creased. Reflectix duct insulation if you're really poor and want to go begging scraps at a construction or house build site, lol. And, if you're using a grow tent, the same holds true - size everything correctly in regards to each other, and you'll derive more benefit from all of it.

This is going to be the same, to a large extent, regardless of what type of lighting you end up with, and regardless of whether that lighting is all of one type or mixed. <SHRUGS> It's just physics, lol.
Wowzers that was some read and does make sense... all my walls are and ceiling are covered in orca film so do get the light reflection.. so do I need to double my lights for that size room .. dont really wanna go back to my tent as I've put a lot of money into that room and I do enjoy the room .. thanks

Right guys I'm still pretty new to this and still learning ... my actual room size is 2.4 mtr x 3 mtrs just measured it .. this is only my second grow in this room in which the previous produced about 3.5 ounce per plant and big colas ... previously before that I used a 1.2 x 2 meter tent which on average produced the same amount maybe a bit more with the same light ... I just go of the theory 1 light per 4 plants maybe I'm wrong .. anyway here's some pics of my room and 8 candy kush which are 3 week into flower .. and yes I know i should have scrogged lol lazy growing and didnt realize they would stretch that much but they got veg for a good time .. let me know what you guys think and thanks for the replys

love the set up. i'm so dumb for not sticking my thermo to the side of the tent LMAO... also the fan is upside down? i had one going like that but the piece that makes it oscillate kept coming loose.

Back
Top Bottom