Root issues advice needed please

Brucefx

Hi guys this Is my first grow and need a little help, I have clones in rockwool cubes and at the moment I am waiting for good root mass before setting them in my nft system. I had nice healthy root growth mostly from the bottom of the cubes, the plants were getting too big for the propagator so I took the lid off. After a couple of hours the protruding roots had been frazzled by the light I think (stupid I know). I have now covered the cubes so they are now in the dark.

I just want to know, have I seriously damaged my plants here and will the roots grow back? Also any advice on what I can do to help my babies? I've tried searching the Internet and can't find anything, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys (I'm not at home right now but will post pics later)

Easy BruceFX, welcome to 420 mate :) Best Cannabis web site on the internet , and the longest running.......................

Never used a NFT system myself so i'm no hydro expert at all and i'm sure some Hydro Boss will chime in here for you, but if the roots have been burn't a little and there is no ill affect to the plant then I wouldn't worry mate. I didnt see you say there was anything wrong with growth.

What I do know is soil and if roots see light like in an air or smart pot the roots just die off at the end and branch off inside like a topped node would, increasing root mass. So if there no damage to the plant and you now have them covered I wouldnt worry mate.

Happy growing.

Mmm...

Roots don't always like direct contact with light & air which may burn/kill them off... it does not really hamper them as roots will grow again rather easy !

I would suggest moving the girls to the NFT system for further veg for another few weeks & would be inclined to use a cover once moved to the system to prevent light/damage to roots either with a correx top plate/sheet or plastic sheeting this will help prevent damage to roots or algae forming on rock wool cubes !

You might even want to look at plant support as NFT systems are mildly prone to balance problems once heavy colas are formed to which i'm pretty sure more than one DIY solution is aviable !

Just in case most 3" or 4" rock wool cubes come with a plastic coating around the sides of the cubes... this should be removed to allow for root growth other wise roots will be forced throught the bottom of the rock wool cube !

Wow thanks for the replys guys really friendly and helpful!

Feel better about them now, just with not growing anything before I was concerned how the plants would be affected!

Fuzzy duck I do plan to scrog them so hopefully that should give them the support they need? And I think I may introduce them into the nft in the next couple of days as there is some rootage to the bottom of the cubes now.

Wish I had started a grow journal now from when I first got these cuttings as I'm amazed at the speed of growth and how good they are looking!

Thanks again guys

Ye a scrog screen should be pretty alright to support flowering weight just make sure its reasonable sturdy...

To be honest i don't think i've seen a NFT scrog grow before ? should be interesting to watch if ya get a journal up 'n' running you get all sorts of people come visit & offering advice & tips :thumb:

Hydroponics are super excelerated veg growth its quite amazing growth rate when compared to slow ol soil.

Scrogging may involve topping to induce more branching aka more bud sites followed by LST the art of gentle bending of the branches to increase canopy spread through the mesh screen.

Hey brucefx, i think your first problem started with the light source. You said your clones started to stretch and you had to remove the dome. Well the problem maybe from your using to big of a light source. You should use a T8 or one CFL for clones to root. The lower the light source the less the plant focus on vegging and more on rooting. You want your clones to grow roots as fast as they can.

I would like to see that nft grow as well :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom