Root rot - but I have a chiller

Mazaya

This is my second hydro grow, the first one went ok, except I got root rot because of high res temps. This time I was extra careful, all new equipment, cleaned the room with bleach, super sterile, I even have a special pair of slippers I only wear in the grow room. After the last round I bought a 1/10 hp chiller and hooked in to the new system and my temps run about 66 degrees F +/- 1 degree. But once again, it appears that I have managed to get root rot. I didn't think it was possible for rot to grow with temps under 68 but obviously I'm missing something, so, I have come seeking advice and help. I'm growing 2 Kali Mist plants from Seed that I spent some decent change on and I've already invested 7 weeks in the plant from seed. Below are images of the roots taken tonight and below the images all of the mandatory information about my grow. I really thought I had a handle on everything this time, but apparently not. I would really appreciate any help and advice the community can provide. If I have missed anything important or posted to the wrong forum please let me know. This is my first time actually posting to the site. Thank you!

IMGP3733.JPG
IMGP3732.JPG
IMGP3731.JPG

What Strain is it? Kali Mist
Mainly Sativa
How Many Plants? 2 plants
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Vegatative
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 7th week from seed.
Indoor
Hydro?
If Hydro, Reservoir size? Total size 17 gallon, only put in 5 gallons of nutrient mix
If Hydro, Reservoir Temperature? 66 degrees +/- 1 degree
If Hydro, what type of Medium? Hyrdoton clay balls
If Hydro, what type of Setup? ------------/DWC (DIY)
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1 90 Watt LED UFO
Is it Air Cooled? Yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 72-76 degrees
RH of Room/Cabinet? 50-60%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 5.5 - 6-1
Any Pests? None
How Often are you Watering? Constant flow
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? Advanced Nutrients Grow Bloom Micro. 3mL/L B-52 2mL/L
Size or Square Footage of Room? Approximately 60 square feet. 10 x 6

Mazaya

Slime buddy.
Bet your ph rises like crazy in that water, huh? There's pathogens in the water everywhere and it looks like one has taken hold on your system. You can either dump some peroxide in the water and run a sterile res, or go the better route imo and innoculate with beneficial microbes. Look into "slime cure" or "breeding beneficial microbes" and brew some tea! Then keep anything organic out of your buckets. Piece of cake.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info Snafu. I already had Aquashield that I was adding 5mL/L but had never looked into making tea. I've got some zho powder and worm castings on their way and I plan to brew some up using Heisenberg's method. Hopefully by Sunday I'll be able to add the tea in to my res and start getting this cleared up.

Perfect! Couple the tea with a good root rinse and sterilization and they'll bounce back within a couple days.

Keep us posted

Bet you need a better air pump. Which should have been your first purchase. Get a high output airpump and at least two airstones. (Not walmart air stones). You cannot I repeat CANNOT get root rot in a well agitated bubbly dwc system. If you allow ANY part of your 17Gal tote to have stale or non moving water this is WHERE any pathogens will survive.

You bought a chiller and your still having problems.

Either light is getting thru your tote or your lacking sufficient dissolved oxygen. Or both.

LOL Voltron

I have i repeat I HAVE gotten root rot even with my water churning like it's boiling. (At 68f) And by his pic i'd say he's got enough bubbles going. So please dont come on here and give bogus advice, alright? It's frustrating enough sifting through the bs that's already on here, let alone adding to it.

Why dont you do some research yourself before trying to help someone else. I'm sure your intentions were to help and for that everyone is appreciative, you just have to look into something first (root slime and beneficial microbes) before giving advice on it.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom