Rooting topped or fimmed cuttings?

kckike

Hello everyone, I've been thinking if trying to clone topped cuttings is a good idea and if someone here has done it? I did a little bit of searching and couldn't find anything about it, but maybe someone here could help me. In the beginning I thought maybe is not being done because the plant would need more energy to mantain the two shoots and also make roots but if its a good sized cutting I think it could be alright, don't you think?

Cheers

Be like rooting any other cutting, I expect. Easier, maybe. You'd need to take a little more than the average tiny top. Well, you wouldn't, technically, need to, as micropropagation techniques enable the production of clones from pieces of the parent plant that are as small as a single cell, but that's beyond the capability of the vast majority of us home growers (in practice, at least). I'd want at least an inch or two, and would be more comfortable with three.

In other words yes, you can. In the time before everybody and their brother were selling "feminized" seed, it wasn't uncommon to use the top of a cannabis plant to determine the sex of the parent plant, so that the gardener could continue to grow said parent under a vegetative growth light schedule.

Be like rooting any other cutting, I expect. Easier, maybe. You'd need to take a little more than the average tiny top. Well, you wouldn't, technically, need to, as micropropagation techniques enable the production of clones from pieces of the parent plant that are as small as a single cell, but that's beyond the capability of the vast majority of us home growers (in practice, at least). I'd want at least an inch or two, and would be more comfortable with three.

In other words yes, you can. In the time before everybody and their brother were selling "feminized" seed, it wasn't uncommon to use the top of a cannabis plant to determine the sex of the parent plant, so that the gardener could continue to grow said parent under a vegetative growth light schedule.

Thanks for the reply TorturedSoul, I guess my question now is why I couldn't I find people doing it? to start clones that are topped or fimed would be a good head start for that new plant, and how big can a cutting be and still be able to root it?

I have done that for years on my videos but don't think I ever said that when I cut a branch off a mother I cut it into a few clones which would make all topped except the very top cut. I have done it for that very reason to have topped clones for bush plants. I also have put some into straight flower to sex with no roots needed. To answer your ? the cutting can be as big as you want or at least one node for short. Most that use domes like me only use two maybe three nodes clones to fit under domes. Best to have one node as the bottom to get roots faster.

I have done that for years on my videos but don't think I ever said that when I cut a branch off a mother I cut it into a few clones which would make all topped except the very top cut. I have done it for that very reason to have topped clones for bush plants. I also have put some into straight flower to sex with no roots needed. To answer your ? the cutting can be as big as you want or at least one node for short. Most that use domes like me only use two maybe three nodes clones to fit under domes. Best to have one node as the bottom to get roots faster.

thanks for your answe, do you have a youtube channel where you upload does vids you talk about? I'd like to check them out!

Not sure the rules of posting that info on this site. Search my name here on yt it will come up. There might be a video on my playlist. Have 444 videos I need to update my playlist big time.

Back
Top Bottom