Ruddies - DWC - Gavita Pro CFL/LED 1200W - Northern Lights X Skunk/Blueberry/Shaman

ruddie

Welcome to my journal.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and information.
For fast bullet point summary scroll to bottom of original post.

What’s Ruddie growing?

See below. The links have pictures. THC%, CBD%, height and whatever else was available to me.

Ceres Seeds Northern Lights x Skunk * NEW Northern Lights x Skunk #1 Feminised Cannabis Seeds *
Dutch Passion Seeds Shaman Shaman Feminised Cannabis Seeds
Dutch Passion Seeds Blueberry Blueberry Regular Cannabis Seeds
Vision Seeds Russian Snow Feminized Russian Snow cannabis seeds - Feminized cannabis seeds

mmm my mouth waters just typing those names :love:

I will be using the following lights

1x Gavita Pro 6/750e (flower only)
1x Mars Hydro 300 (moves to flower room for 12 hours then 6 hours in veg room)
1x 6400k 250 Watt CFL (veg only)
2x 6400k 130 CFL (veg only)
750w for Flower and 690w for Veg

My grow style this round will be DWC.
The DWC system (if you can even call it that) isn’t very complicated at all it comprises of one 16 gallon bucket (55L) with an internal water pump that sucks water out of the bucket and feeds it back in through the top via four inlets I made on the lid. This creates water circulation and the water falling back in breaks the surface tension of the water inside the bucket. I think one of the reasons why you want a “waterfall effect” somewhere is to break the surface water tension and this allows faster nutrient uptake.
The bucket has two air stones connected to an air pump with four outlets. I use a T connector to merge the two extra outlets into the air stones. I use the Aqua one 1200. It supplies 1900L/hour @ 19 kPa on each outlet. 9.4 watts and has adjustable dial.
<insert picture of bucket>

Where’s the grow at?

It’s at every stage of development. I have a batch in mid flower, late veg and early veg.
The batch in flower have been there for four weeks. They were started from seed and veg was 10 weeks.
The batch in late veg have been there for 7 weeks started from seed.
The batch in early veg are four weeks old. These are a mix of clones from the first batch taken at week 10 veg and two seeds I found in some really good hydro. The clones established fast within 10 days and were being feed light nutrients for two weeks. One week ago I started feeding heavier nutrients. The seedlings are being treated the same as clones. 10 days in dome to pop. Then moved straight into a DWC bucket with light nutrients.

What nutrients will be used?

One this round I will be using Advanced Nutrients @ quarter strength.
GMB for veg and seedlings.
Connoisseur for flower

What additives are you using?

The whole AN line up.

Voodoo, B52 plus GMB for veg and seedlings.
Connoisseur for flowering

The rest of the additives based on feeding chart as recommended.

One thing I do different is I start using bud ignitor 5 days before switching to veg. Another user reporting more budding sites if this was used earlier so I gave it a shot.

Executive summary

What strain is it?
Multi. Northern lights x Skunk, Russian Snow, Blueberry, Shaman and some local bag seed. See links above for further strain information.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Both. Week 4 flower and week 7 veg.

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor
Soil or Hydro?
DWC 16 gallon (55L)

Size of light?
Flower 750w HID
Veg 690w 6400k CFL + LED

Is it aircooled?
No :(

Temp of Room/cab?
73F-83F 23c-28c

RH of Room/cab?

55%

PH of media or res?

5.5-6.5 Clayballs

Any Pests ?
A few ants that seem very freaked out by all the lights.

Type and strength of ferts used?
Advanced nutrients @ ¼ strength.

OK, let’s get started with some photos :)
We first go back in time to see some of the flowering plants from a few weeks ago. I’m kicking myself I didn’t take more photos. But here are some that are come out fairly nice.

IMAG036719.jpg

Week Two flowering Russian Snow

IMAG036918.jpg

Week Two flowering Russian Snow

IMAG037318.jpg

Week Two Russian Snow (left) Week Two flowering Shaman (middle), Week Two Flowering Northern Lights X Skunk (right)

IMAG037223.jpg

Week Two flowering Northern Lights X Skunk

Everything was going well switching the plants from Veg to flower.
After approx two weeks the Northern Lights X Skunk is found to be a male. I was devastated on so many levels but I had to pick myself up and move on.

Operating capture pollen starts. :) More on this soon.

I wasn't going to let this get me down. I love NL but can't ever get my hands on it.
I thought about it for a few days (before the pollen sacks got big and started opening) and didn't know what to do.
Chop it down or pollenate the rest of the plants to create a ruddie special? Well, the answer was clear! Ruddie specials here we come!

I chopped down the NLxSkunk and took it into another part of the house to start pollen collection. (More on this later).

Apart from that nothing major happens for about a week.

A week passes with no major or minor problems. Time for a res change before lights out.
The next morning I walk into the room and find a scene of destruction.
The bottoms branches were all dried up, branch tips looked brown and black and I could see it was a massive nutrients burn.

I check EC/PPM. Off the charts. The meters top light shines up - max reading. OK OK, not to worry Ill dump half the water and replace it with nothing but fresh water. Out goes 8 gallons (25L) and in goes the same. I check again the EC is off the chart top indicator lights up. WTF? How much did I put in? Still not sure what happened.
I decided to just dump all of it and mix up a fresh batch. I hate doing it but I'd rather do that then have dead plants and I attribute it to the costs of learning.

Here's a picture of one of the plants that morning.

IMAG037619.jpg

Nutrient burn like crazy

IMAG037719.jpg

Too many nutrients cause bottom branches to dry up over night, burnt tips and other branch damage

End of week three Flower room update.

I had a feeling one of the plants in the veg room was male and considering I already have male NL I really don't want to have anymore.
The problem was this plant shared the same bucket as another plant that I am fairly sure is female and I didn't have any more DWC buckets to transfer to.
So I decided to make up a soil mixture and stick the plant into soil. It worked.
I didn't even bother take it out of the container it sat in with the clayballs, I removed as many clayballs as possible and basically buried it all in soil. I had my doubts but in ten days or so it showed signs of balls and was pulled and killed.

Here's a picture of the plant. He has a stick holding up the plant because once I moved it from DWC to soil it wanted to fall over.

IMAG041716.jpg

Suspect male far right leaning plant with wooden stick as support.

Russian snow late week three
IMAG041413.jpg

IMAG041321.jpg

Shaman late week three
IMAG041818.jpg

IMAG041516.jpg

Russian snow (front) Shaman (back)
IMAG042021.jpg

Russian snow
IMAG042921.jpg

Veg room week four

I must admit I was a bit of a girl when it came to topping and LST and other techniques. I was always worried I'd break stuff and the few times I did I managed to make a mess of it. This round I did more reading and armed myself with the knowledge to increase my yeilds by topping and LST.

As you can see here are some photos from veg. I wonder if you can guess which guide I'm following?

Apart from that there isn't much going on in that room. Just keeping nutrients low.

The nutrients in the veg room are around 900PPM. I'm using GMB with voodoo and B52.

IMAG043719.jpg

IMAG044216.jpg

IMAG044012.jpg

IMAG043922.jpg

Back to the flower room - Late week four.

more stuff going on in there anyways :)

I took the photo below and asked myself after seeing it if there really was too much foliage. I had intended on leaving them alone but I was starting to doubt if that was a good decision.

Here's the photo that got me thinking

IMAG044815.jpg

I can see my light isn't getting through the top canopy and I started reading more into what to do.

IMAG045212.jpg

Tall plant is shaman, shorter one is russian snow.

IMAG044917.jpg

IMAG045516.jpg

IMAG045016.jpg

Russian snow late week four flower

IMAG044717.jpg

IMAG044415.jpg

Late week four veg room update

Earlier that week I started to think I need to sort out something with my grow style. The issue is I was basically letting them grow wild with some assistance but overall I'd just let them do their thing.
In the veg room I started topping and could see the results within a week to 10 days. So I figured maybe I should do something about the veg room.

Here's some before and afters

IMAG046616.jpg

IMAG04639.jpg

IMAG046213.jpg

IMAG046111.jpg

IMAG046824.jpg

IMAG047314.jpg

Netting! It really helps to position the plant and open it up to way way more light.
In my haste I managed to break to main branches. But because I didn't panic and I didn't use straight up electrical tape I managed to fix both breaks. They are recovering now and just slowed down a little in growth.
Live and learn.

Say hello to the clones. :)

IMAG047417.jpg

Russian Snow (far back left), NL x Skunk (far back right), NL x Skunk (Left centre) NL x Skunk (Right centre), unknown local (front right) just visable is shaman (front left)

Before the NL plant turned male I didn't know what sex it was before I took three cuttings from it. There is one thing I forgot to mention till now, during week two I left the lights on for roughly 1.5 hours too long one day and the next 45 minutes. I stuffed up.
Now I really don't know if that caused the plant to turn male on me, I'm not even sure if that is how it works but the others were fine so I'm not sure on that theory. Either way because I love my NL so much I am going to grow out these three clones hoping and praying each day they turn out to be female. Everyone cross your fingers please. :)

The Shaman you can just see in the front left had some issues. I didn't fill up the container with enough clayballs and on some angles light was getting directly into the bucket. This has been since fixed and the plant is showing signs of improvement.

IMAG047512.jpg

NL x Skunk clone week two. Check out the cool stem. That process was really amazing to watch as the plant hardened up and thickened it up.

IMAG047611.jpg

Another NL x Skunk clone week two.

IMAG047715.jpg

Unknown strain started from seek two weeks in veg.

IMAG047813.jpg

Russian Snow clone (left) NL x Skunk clone (right)

Re: Ruddies - DWC - Gavita Pro CFL/LED 1200W - Northern Lights X Skunk/Blueberry/Sham

Flower room Week five

So my solution to get more light down to the bottom is to get more lights before I attempt to trim any leaves.

IMAG051412.jpg

Crank up the power Captain! overdrive mode @ 825W

IMAG05008.jpg

Mars Hydro now being moved from Veg room to flower room for 12 hours then back to veg for last six.

IMAG050210.jpg

Doesn't appear the light will brighten the whole area underneath.

Problem: My over doing it with nutrients and possibly not using enough Cal/Mag has brought around some unhealthy looking leaves. Lots of rust spots everywhere on the tops of the leaves, I suspect that's the missing cal/mag and also I have nutrient burn on some plants.

IMAG048913.jpg

Color isn't so vibrant

IMAG049012.jpg

IMAG048711.jpg

not enough cal/mag

IMAG049111.jpg

going too hard on nutrients burns tips

IMAG049211.jpg

Buds don't seem too worried yet.

And I hadn't noticed the little plant in the corner which hardly ever saw any light started to bud. Yay!

IMAG051213.jpg

unknown strain

IMAG051111.jpg

unknown strain

Re: Ruddies - DWC - Gavita Pro CFL/LED 1200W - Northern Lights X Skunk/Blueberry/Sham

Flower room mid week 5

I still can't figure out my issue with the nutrients, but it appears it might be getting yellow?

IMAG052413.jpg

IMAG052312.jpg

I poured in without measuring some Cal/Mag (I should have but I had the shits and just poured till I felt it was enough lol)

IMAG052713.jpg

plants growing faster this week imo

Flower room week five

Out come the scissors! I tried to get more light into the bottom and I even used string to pull the banches wider but still not enough was getting through.
It does now!

IMAG053012.jpg

IMAG053215.jpg

IMAG057114.jpg

IMAG056914.jpg

IMAG056712.jpg

IMAG056813.jpg

IMAG056314.jpg

we can now see the fourth plant - typically buried under another plants massive fan leaves.

IMAG056613.jpg

Trimmed Russian snow

IMAG057512.jpg

unknown strain budding
IMAG057716.jpg

russian snow budding
IMAG057812.jpg

Russian snow budding with seed development :(

Now if you recall I had a male NL x Skunk that was pulled and placed in another room in the house. I suspect the pollen must to have already gotten to them. I had collected the pollen and stored in the fridge but hadn't myself pollenated them. This isn't so bad ok because I dont have a good source for seeds and this way I now will have a crap ton to continue growing. I wonder if anyone has crossed Russian snow with Northern Lights x Skunk?
That day I went and got the stored pollen container and put some pollen on the very very bottom branches of all the plants. That way if I'm correct and a bit lucky I should get some seeds down the bottom and hopefully some nice buds uptop.

The journal is now up to date and regular updates will occur (most likely every few days). I hope you enjoyed the read so far.
Any suggestions are always welcome so please let me know what you think I can do better please.

Back
Top Bottom