San Diego County info requested....

chargedbird

High all,
I heard on the local news that San Diego County will start issuing MM cards and will cost about $165. I currently have a valid MMJ from an Orange county doctor and I live in San Diego County. Here is my question(s),

1. What does this mean to me, do I need to get a card from San Diego County? and I don't remember paying $165 for the MMJ issued to me from the Orange county doctor.

2. If a new card is needed, then how would I get one? or who do I need to call?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Being that it's a state law, not a local law, any card issued by a doctor authorized by the state of California should be valid.

San Diego and, I believe, Riverside county tried to contest SB420/Prop 215 recently and the California Supreme Court told them too bad, thankfully.

I believe the county standardized card is to make law enforcement officials' lives easier. They don't know EVERY doctor that's allowed to give out cards, so ya see the trickery? San Diego county is rather populated, after all.

Being that it's a state law, not a local law

I would have thought that all cards would be state-issued. You know, like driver licenses (something else that is state and not county law)?

[SARCASM]Or does CA issue "County DL" as well?[/SARCASM]

Just more money passing from one hand to another in the fable of selflessly helping people, I guess.

The doctor doesn't issue the card, he issues your recommendation.

The card add's a little extra protection if you have trouble with local law enforcement; because now the state and your doctor have given you documentation that you are legal.

so not all counties issues the card right?
does anyone know what counties in CA do?

From the state's website

County_Card_Status_July_5_2009.JPG

San Diego County To Begin Issuing Medical Marijuana IDs

The County of San Diego will begin issuing medical marijuana identification cards on Monday; nearly two months after the U.S. Supreme Court denied the County’s appeal to a proposition legalizing the use of medical marijuana in California.

The County’s Health and Human Service Agency (HHSA) are accepting applications out of its north central region Health Services Complex off of Rosecrans Street. According to the HHSA Web site, applicants must have written documentation from a Californian physician recommending the use of medical marijuana for one or more serious medical conditions.

Those conditions include AIDS, cancer, and any other chronic or persistent medical symptom that substantially limits a person’s ability to live their lives according to the HHSA.

Under the new laws, a person who wants to purchase medical marijuana must pay a non-refundable application fee of $166 for first time applicants and for people seeking renewals. People with medical cards prior to Monday do not need to reapply until their card expires.

It can take up to 35 days to process the application, which is valid for one year.

Proposition 215, which legalized the use of medical marijuana for medical purposes in California, has sparked much controversy since its passage in 1996. As a result, California legislators fired back in 2003 with California Senate Bill 420 which required medical marijuana users to obtain an identification card proving that they have the state’s approval.

The 2003 law also set limits on the amount of marijuana that patients could posses. It forbade them from having more than eight ounces of marijuana and no more than six mature or 12 immature marijuana plants.

Medical marijuana dispensaries have been sprouting up across San Diego since the court’s approval. The San Diego Cannabis Clubs lists over 40 locations on their web site as to where patients or caregivers can receive marijuana.

San Diego County warns medical marijuana card carriers that possessing and selling marijuana is a federal offense according to the HHSA.

Californians who do possess medical marijuana have been prosecuted by the federal government.

For more information about the issuing of medical marijuana identification cards visit its Web site or call (619) 692-5723.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: sdnn.com
Author: Joe Armenta
Copyright: 2009 San Diego News Network, LLC
Website: San Diego County to begin issuing medical marijuana IDs

If I understand this,...

Currently, I go to a doctor to get a referral, take that to a dispensary where they confirm the referral and sell me medical marijuana.
I really don't need a card. What's the big deal about a card? Who cares?

Correct, you don't need a card. It does add a little extra protection if you do have a LEO issue; he can check to see that you've registered. It's voluntary though.

Now San Diego County wants to insert themselves in the process and add a step by implying that we need a special card from them before we can purchase our meds.

No, San Diego did not want to do this. They fought it all the way to the supreme court. They wanted to opt out the state law allowing the use of Medical Marijuana and tried everything they could to get out of it, including claiming they couldn't because it was against Federal law.

They were forced to use the adopt a card program by lawsuit.

Does this mean that San Diego County will now require clinics to make all customers go out and get this card before they can purchase?

No I don't think they can't require clinics to require a card (I think it's prohibited by law).

It just sounds like veiled harassment to me. Trying to intimidate med users by making them "REGISTER" with the local government and wait 35 days while the application is "processed".

In my opinion, anytime we can force the state bureaucrats to admit that Medical Marijuana is legal it's been a good day. I do agree with you that we need to be on constant alert for the type of shenanigans you describe above; I just don't think this is one of those times.

I respect your feelings Bro, my friend Racefan is also much against the idea of having to give the state your name in such a way. I think that's valid man.

I do like the fact that the Supreme's made San Diego eat their position though :cheesygrinsmiley:

Two completely different issue

You must have a valid doctors recommendation to be legal

The county card is the voluntary extra; it doesn't replace your doctors recommendation.

Also, you can't get the county card without a doctor's recommendation

Gotcha.

County card is voluntary, but local officials can use that as an excuse to harrass you, can't they?

We all know law enforcement likes harrass any and all marijuana users, if it can. It's like they get a high out of it or something... No wonder they don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom