Sativa experiment

Jackalope

Now that all of my sativa grow is either dead or drying. I figured I would give you my impressions. Over all it was very interesting. I really couldn't have done it without the 11/13 light schedule. Not positive on this but it looks the shorter light periods saved me a couple of weeks to a month.

Sativas seem to be a lot harder to find what I like. The difference between one and another can be huge. It is all in the effects. The high of some seem so light they are not worth it for me. Hybrids and indicas make it easier to notice you are high. This does not make them better just easily noticed. I almost quit growing mostly sativa strains because of this.

What I needed was to find the right sativa's. Even with Jack the Ripper there were noticeable issues. Occasionally you had to stop and see if you were still high. Most of the time you were. It would be perfect for people that NEED to function. Lots of the sativas through the years were being bred for just the sativa traits. Being more specific in the high takes away from their all around appeal.

Broad appeal is something I found in the landrace sativas. Both the Columbian Gold and the Chocoloco (a 3/4 Thai hybrid) had a broad range of high. Just like they did in the old days. Probably the main reason the greats became greats is that everyone liked them. The broader the appeal the bigger the reputation. This is also why I think you hear a lot of people say new pot is not as good as the old stuff. The older strains did a little everything. What was really neat is seeing what the older breeders saw and wanted to improve. Probably the neatest thing is finding where D.J. Short found blueberry smell. The fruitiness of the Chocolate Thai is very reminiscent of it.

On the down side a the sativa experenace. Now I know why we used to pack Visine around. It might just be me. I seem to be noticing a lot more dry itchy eyes from the sativas. Something I didn't notice much at all last year when I had mostly hybrids and indica's. I now have Visine all over the place again.

To finalize it all. I am glad I went back to sativa's. Motivating indicas and hybrids can only do so much. While it is probably the hardest area to find a great strain you like. Mostly because people's ideas of what a sativa should do is so vastly different. It may take you awhile to find the one you really like. When you do you will probably stick with it.

I am not sure if a sativa would be best if you only grow one plant or strain. It performs best when can be complemented with a nice indica.So is better in a multi strain grow.

I am not sure if a sativa would be best if you only grow one plant or strain. It performs best when can be complemented with a nice indica.So is better in a multi strain grow.

One sativa in a scrog, with indica (or hybrid) clones "sog-style" in two-liter bottles or similar sized containers all around the perimeter? If your light falls off around the edges, this would probably be efficient(?), too, due to the difference in light-energy requirements. If you are using only slightly more than 12 hours of light per day to do the vegetative growth phase of the sativa, your "bottle plants" might even be able to flower under that, which would mean you could get multiple harvests from them while your sativa grows/flowers.

Back
Top Bottom