Sealed Room Air Cooled Light Venting Efficiency. Please Help?!

Ty13

scan0055.jpg

So, I'm in the process of building the 15' X 15' sealed grow room inside a ~20' X 20' garage and have hung drywall on the outside of the walls. I'm about to make the huge order of about $8-10K worth of all the equipment needed. I already have a custom built 36 site 5 gallon bucket hydro system with drip irrigation made by Greenisland on here(not included in budget above)...BTW, HUGE props to him for that!!

-I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way of using which number of inline fans in combination with a few booster fans to vent the 6 sealed air cooled 1K hps lights in the most efficient way...These run in 2 parallel rows of 3. So far I'm going with the XXXL 6" Hoods.

I'm thinking a light filter at the ground level intake space that's outside the grow room but still inside the garage up to the reg. floor garage vent and a 6" booster fan with the 6" duct leading to an 6" inline fan that then goes into a "Y" connector to supply the 2 lines of 3 lights/hoods.
OR DO I NEED A 6" INLINE AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH FIRST HOOD??

From there, it would just be the same 6" mylar w/wire ducting to the second hood in each line of lights and then to the third, but now 2-6" inline fans...One each mounted to the front side of each hood in the perception that pushing the air is better than pulling it from the end side of the last 2 lights.
OR SHOULD THE 6" INLINES BE ON THE LAST/FAR END OF THE HOOD??
MAYBE THE 2-6" INLINES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SECOND PAIR OF HOODS??...OTHER??

From there(After the last 2 hoods), I was thinking of increasing the size of the ducting by means of the opposite idea of a duct reducer piece and/or into the larger "Y" joint...Wouldn't this 8"-10" ducting increase the potential ease of flow from those last 2 inline fans in order to use only less and possibly ONE 8"-10" booster fan to exhaust towards the top of the garage roof where there are already 2 large vent holes(~10")?
OR WOULD THIS INCREASE IN DUCTING SIZE NOT MATTER AND KEEP IT AT 6"??

One of the issues is that the garage intake and exhaust openings are both on the same side of the garage. I do have one other potential spot for an intake on the opposite end floor level but it's obstructed by the outside wall of the grow room to less than 6"...Maybe, just maybe 4"??

Hopefully this all makes sense and if not just ask away and I'll clarify with actual pics. if need be. I just don't have the camera right this sec. other than the cell phone.

Anyways, I'm just looking for the most cost efficient/optimum way to vent them. Any and all ideas are welcome and very much appreciated.

Bump!
I have all the other environmental controls and pieces to this project ready to be purchased other than a potential "fan speed" controller and the exact number of inline and booster fans in question here...Kind of hoping for some feed back as there's been over 130 views so far...Wanted to order in 2012 sometime LOL:thanks::adore:

I'm running 4-1000w hps in cool tubes on a 6 inch in line in sequence with a single 309 cfm inline fan.I have it on a timer to run with the lights.works fine.

New 10x10 Grow

Wow, very nice man! So then my 3-6" inlines should be no problem with one or two booster fans the way I have it then it sounds like?

I hope your legal bro because if you place an order that big for grow equipment all around the same time unless you're going to go to a bunch of diff. Stores and split the purchases up and pay cash or use several different people to order online with different credit cards and several different addresses to ship equipment to (never ship to grow location) it's probably going to tip somebody off. Maybe its just me being paranoid but I hate to see bad shit go down for growing our lovely plant. Going to be a nice setup though. Good luck brother

I hope your legal bro because if you place an order that big for grow equipment all around the same time unless you're going to go to a bunch of diff. Stores and split the purchases up and pay cash or use several different people to order online with different credit cards and several different addresses to ship equipment to (never ship to grow location) it's probably going to tip somebody off. Maybe its just me being paranoid but I hate to see bad shit go down for growing our lovely plant. Going to be a nice setup though. Good luck brother

Well, I'm in Cali and I believe the number of plants to be grown legally is 6 in my county for my one Dr's rec. Then couldn't I be a "Primary Care Giver" for multiple people which would up my limit to 6 plants/person that I have the signed paper work for?

Besides all that...You really think that Law Enforcement is looking at all the orders being made when anyone can have the equipment ordered to a different location, transfer funds to one's account to use the other person's CC online etc. etc.?!?

Any further insight on this is appreciated.

I maintain a relationship with a local grow shop. If I need something shipped, I have them order it for me, pay cash, and pick it up from them. With the new 'Amazon Tax' here in California, the Board of Equalization is paying a lot more attention to online purchases. The Federal raids are all confiscatory, as opposed to criminal, at least for now. Even though there is a minimal threat of jail (the jury pool will be from CA & they need 12-0 while we walk 11-1), I sure don't want them killing my plants, and stealing my lights and buckets.

As far as the air flow goes, the more the better. I'm running an 8" 750 cfm fan to vent 4 600's and can put my hand on the glass. The XXXL, if it's the sunlight supply model, is a nice reflector. I run two of those with HPS and 2 Blazers with MH Digilux. The blue from the MH improves crystals and color. The concentration of the Blazer light pattern compensates for the less lumens from the MH while still creating a crossover effect.

Additionally, you may want to consider 10 600s instead of 6 1000s (more lumens, better coverage), however you would be looking at a significant increase in hardware cost.

Just my $0,02

Well, I'm in Cali and I believe the number of plants to be grown legally is 6 in my county for my one Dr's rec. Then couldn't I be a "Primary Care Giver" for multiple people which would up my limit to 6 plants/person that I have the signed paper work for?

Besides all that...You really think that Law Enforcement is looking at all the orders being made when anyone can have the equipment ordered to a different location, transfer funds to one's account to use the other person's CC online etc. etc.?!?

Any further insight on this is appreciated.

While I'm sure LEO isn't worried about all purchases I'm sure they look for the bigger ones...And ordering that much hardware under the same pretenses would look like a commercial grow op...I'm sure they know people ship them to different addresses but some people don't so they probablly figure they got a 50/50 chance and even if the delivery address isn't the grow location they figure they have a pretty good chance throwing around words with whomever is at the delivery address to make them think they could be going away for a very long time....In my experience leo likes the word play....and making empty threats because you would be surprised how many people don't know the laws...And they use that to their advantage...I'm not sure on the legal ramifications as I am not in a medical state sorry...I just felt it important to voice my concerns because as the saying goes "Shit Happens" lol I just like to make sure everybodies safe from those injustices...but in reality some of us will face prosecution for the injustices brought against us for simply growing a plant...And since that is reality I like to make sure my fellow growers try to take as much precaution as possible...Maybe it's just a little paranoia but I feel better safe than sorry....:thumb:

here there are 4 local stores that carry most everything or will have it next day.being legal and in a country where the laws are a little more lax getting gear is more convenient.but what HighFlyin is saying makes good sense.guess ya don't just gotta gorilla grow but gorilla buy the supplies..... sad ain't it!

I hear ya guys...Thanks for the heads up on that issue!

I know all about how LE can use scare tactics etc. and I know others that have dealt with them in a similar fashion...They got the ol "Knock and Talk" from LE and my buddies were already well versed on what to do...Say nothing!
All you have to do is show ID etc. if they ask and after that, it's a simple, "I respect you and your occupation and I don't wish to talk with you. Have a good day, sir." It ended any further hassle in 3 different situations but it had to do with a diff. issue than MMJ...just fyi.

Although I don't think I'll have any issue ordering directly to myself(not being watched lol) or a potential grow site, I'll still take the simple precautions because it's so easy. A couple of simple funds transfers, separate orders, and delivered to a trusted informed person will be more than enough to keep potential LE from following up on an otherwise state legal small fish...small fish at least compared to the warehouses, shops, delivery services etc. etc.

As far as the air flow goes, the more the better. I'm running an 8" 750 cfm fan to vent 4 600's and can put my hand on the glass. The XXXL, if it's the sunlight supply model, is a nice reflector. I run two of those with HPS and 2 Blazers with MH Digilux. The blue from the MH improves crystals and color. The concentration of the Blazer light pattern compensates for the less lumens from the MH while still creating a crossover effect.

Additionally, you may want to consider 10 600s instead of 6 1000s (more lumens, better coverage), however you would be looking at a significant increase in hardware cost.

Just my $0,02
Yeah, I'm using the 6" XXXL Sunlight Supply models.
Wow, so that one 8" 750cfm fan is venting all 4 600's...I'm assuming the Blazers are air cooled and that you're running the 4 lights 2x2(square)?? If that's the case and the ONE 8" fan is doing that well, I'd think I'd be in the clear with the 3 x 6" inline fans.
6"=6" INLINE FAN
BOOST=BOOSTER FAN

INTAKE-BOOST--6"/"Y"JOINT_--1K--1K--6"1K--"Y"JOINT_BOOST-EXHAUST
SPACE-SPACE-SPACE-SPACE --1K--1K--6"1K--"Y"JOINT

Yeah, I'm using the 6" XXXL Sunlight Supply models.
Wow, so that one 8" 750cfm fan is venting all 4 600's...I'm assuming the Blazers are air cooled and that you're running the 4 lights 2x2(square)?? If that's the case and the ONE 8" fan is doing that well, I'd think I'd be in the clear with the 3 x 6" inline fans.
6"=6" INLINE FAN
BOOST=BOOSTER FAN

INTAKE-BOOST--6"/"Y"JOINT_--1K--1K--6"1K--"Y"JOINT_BOOST-EXHAUST
SPACE-SPACE-SPACE-SPACE --1K--1K--6"1K--"Y"JOINT

Correct on the 2X2 configuration. If you haven't bought fans, you might want to consider something with a mixed flow impeller, (Fantech makes a 10" FKD10XL that is rated at 1266 cfm) use a 8" to 6" reducer on the hoods, a 10" X 8" X 8" Y. the purchase cost will be about the same as what you are planning, maybe a little more, but it will consume less wattage compared to 3 fans.
Again, just my $0.02.

Correct on the 2X2 configuration. If you haven't bought fans, you might want to consider something with a mixed flow impeller, (Fantech makes a 10" FKD10XL that is rated at 1266 cfm) use a 8" to 6" reducer on the hoods, a 10" X 8" X 8" Y. the purchase cost will be about the same as what you are planning, maybe a little more, but it will consume less wattage compared to 3 fans.
Again, just my $0.02.

Okay, thanks! I'll have to look into these some more. I found that one for about $550 and I like the fact that it's 100% speed controllable too but haven't found the amount of watts it runs at yet.

The 3 x 6" inline fans PLUS the 2 x 8" booster fans would def. use more electricity than the 1 10" Fantech mixed flow...The question is, how much more electricity? All together, I can get the 2 boosers and 3 inline fans for about $320 new but that's with out any speed control.

The 6" inlines say 110 watts @ 1amp...So that's 330 watts and 3 amps for those.

I'll def. be looking for the most conservative/efficient fan for the stand alone scrubber that will be running 24/7 too.

Thanks for the feed back...I'm so close to ordering everything as I'm done constructing the room. As soon as I have everything, my electrician friend will be over to help hook it all up, build a sub panel etc. He's just waiting on me lol

10"-Fantech Placement??

Again, just my $0.02.

If I'm assuming correctly, you're suggesting placing the Fantech at the beginning...Just before or at the 10" X 8" X 8" Y joint, correct?

If so, should I still incorporate a booster fan outside of the room in the middle of the exhaust ducting?

Thanks again, Ty

Re: 10"-Fantech Placement??

If I'm assuming correctly, you're suggesting placing the Fantech at the beginning...Just before or at the 10" X 8" X 8" Y joint, correct?

If so, should I still incorporate a booster fan outside of the room in the middle of the exhaust ducting?

Thanks again, Ty

No, between the Y and the exhaust. These in-line fans pull better than they push. If you need to use the front end, use a blower (Dayton makes one that pushes 463cfm), you will still need a booster on the exhaust if your ducting is too long.

It's nice to see someone putting some advance planning in place, instead of trying to do it piecemeal along the way.

No, between the Y and the exhaust. These in-line fans pull better than they push. If you need to use the front end, use a blower (Dayton makes one that pushes 463cfm), you will still need a booster on the exhaust if your ducting is too long.

It's nice to see someone putting some advance planning in place, instead of trying to do it piecemeal along the way.

Wow, see this is just one thing that I thought I knew and obviously didn't. I was thinking along the lines of pushing being easier than pulling the air. I didn't realize that these types were actually stronger inversely. I'll be taking your advice and using it between the last Y and the exhaust. I really appreciate the help with this man...You know your sh*t!!

EDIT: Rep. added!

Wow, see this is just one thing that I thought I knew and obviously didn't. I was thinking along the lines of pushing being easier than pulling the air. I didn't realize that these types were actually stronger inversely. I'll be taking your advice and using it between the last Y and the exhaust. I really appreciate the help with this man...You know your sh*t!!

EDIT: Rep. added!

I'm just a California patient growing 6 plants for personal use and stumbling through this like everyone else. Everything I have learned has been as the result of catastrophic f*** ups, or research done by others- on this web site, and the kids at the local grow shop. However, I have been playing around with indoor growing since I discovered the 75 watt GE Grow and Show bulb (1976)when I was in high school. Side note- I had my parents convinced it was a tomato plant until one of their friends came over and asked why they were allowing their son to grow "that filthy stuff".

Thanks for the compliments, though, and back at you on the rep.

I found this fan for less than wholesale at $389.40 and FREE shipping!! The place I was going to get it from and is one of the cheapest places out there had it for $551. If anyone can't find it, just pm me as I don't think I can post a link to it due to rules.

This fan pulls 1266 CFM!! It's the Fantech FKD 10XL Inline 10" fan with mixed flow and 100% variable speed. Hell, use duct reducers and get rid of the extra fans if you have them.

Less fans and less electricity for a bargain!!:adore:

I found this fan for less than wholesale at $389.40 and FREE shipping!! The place I was going to get it from and is one of the cheapest places out there had it for $551. If anyone can't find it, just pm me as I don't think I can post a link to it due to rules.

This fan pulls 1266 CFM!! It's the Fantech FKD 10XL Inline 10" fan with mixed flow and 100% variable speed. Hell, use duct reducers and get rid of the extra fans if you have them.

Less fans and less electricity for a bargain!!:adore:

Great price on that. My local grow shop matches anything I find online price wise. Was that a refurb or open box return?

Great price on that. My local grow shop matches anything I find online price wise. Was that a refurb or open box return?
Hey man, I can read your pm but I need 50 posts to send one back so I'll just reply here...

It's new as far as I know...If it's not, I totally missed something.

The place I was using said they match or beat prices too if possible but when I showed them this, they said they couldn't do it because this place was selling it for less than wholesale.

Here's the place I found just by searching: Fantech FKD 10XL Inline (Round) 10 inch Duct Mixed Flow Fan -1266 CFM

I decided to just call them at the number at the top of their page instead of doing it online and all was said and done with in 3 minutes...Got the email confirmation too.

Back
Top Bottom