Search warrent needed for motor homes?

Vicious420

I just had a question pop into my head and I wondered what others thought about it.

If you're driving in a motor home or in a pickup truck with one of those slide in campers and a cop wants to do a search. I know you have the right to refuse already but could you also say:

"I'm sorry officer I know you're just doing your job but I cannot let you search my home without a warrant." Would that carry any weight to it?

I've never been pulled over by a cop before and I've never had anything illegal in the car either. I think if I ever were to get pulled over and he wanted to search I'd refuse just to have experience with it.

You're legally entitled to not have a cop search any of your vehicles. But then the games start where the officer says he's going to call in a K9 or threatening to tow it off and get a search warrant for it. Or any of the other games they play. They can make things pretty rough on you even if you've done nothing wrong.

i was told by numerous tour bus drivers that DOT gives you the right to refuse a search without a warrant as it is a home on wheels... as weed420 said, they can make it REALLY difficult for you if you play that card, but if you can outlast them, you stand a 50/50 chance of driving away, regardless of what you have in there... it's a gamble... hope this helps...

Rule of thumb: NEVER give permission for a cop to search your home, automobile, camper or whatever. You simply say; "NO" when asked. You are not obligated to explain why. If they conduct a search, your attorney will determine if probable cause was efficient. If you have anything illegal in your vehicle or camper, what do you have to loose by saying NO, when asked for permission? And unless you want to assist the police in your arrest, say NOTHING, except you want to speak to an attorney. Esp. if you have been placed under arrest.

Yep. And if you say yes you lose your right to fight any evidence in court. Just say no. Cops screw up all the time and thats all you need for the evidence to be thrown out.

Just to throw my 2cents in. I have talked to truckers about this and there sleeper cabs are considered residences and cops need a warrant to search, even if a drug dog alerts.

My work decided to let the dogs sniff every car in the parking lot. My car had a hit by a dog. The security people called me and told me my car was leaking and I had to go to it right away. When I got there, there was a State Cop there to greet me. Had about a little less than a 1/4 oz. NEVER give permission for a cop to search! I did thinking honesty was the best policy-WRONG! In court they said I had every right to walk away, but I did not know. When the cop was drilling me with questions, I had no balls. Got a year probation, but because I dragged it out in court, it took almost 2 years from the date of the incident to get it all over with. Lawyers just take your money because I would have got the same punishment without one. Best thing to do is leave your weed at home. Don't take more than you can eat if you must have it with you.

Back
Top Bottom