Seattle's New City Attorney To Dismiss Cases Of Pot Possession

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Seattle's new city attorney is dismissing all marijuana-possession cases, starting with those that were already under way under the old city attorney.

City Attorney Pete Holmes, who beat incumbent Tom Carr in November, said he dismissed two marijuana-related cases in his first day on the job, and several others are about to be dismissed.

In addition, his new criminal division chief, Craig Sims, said he is reviewing about 50 more cases. Unless there are "out of the ordinary circumstances," Sims said, the office doesn't intend to file charges for marijuana possession.

"We're not going to prosecute marijuana-possession cases anymore," Holmes said Thursday during a public interview as part of Town Hall's Nightcap series. "I meant it when I said it" during the campaign.

Seattle voters approved Referendum 75 in 2003, making marijuana the lowest priority for local law enforcement. City records show that Carr still prosecuted many cases.

In the first six months of 2009, Carr declined eight of the 62 marijuana-related cases filed with his office, a city report shows. Of the cases he took up, marijuana was the only charge in 21 cases. In the second half of 2008, Carr dismissed 21 marijuana-related cases and filed 60 others. Of those, marijuana possession was the only charge in 20 cases.

Holmes' policy change comes amid several state-level efforts to decriminalize or legalize marijuana.

A ballot initiative filed Monday would legalize adult marijuana possession, manufacturing and sales in the state. The Legislature is also considering two bills to decriminalize and regulate marijuana, or to make it legal in the state.

The drug would remain illegal under federal law.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: seattletimes.nwsource.com
Author: Emily Heffter
Copyright: 2010 The Seattle Times Company
Website: Seattle's new city attorney to dismiss cases of pot possession

Wish I was still living in seattle, my first time getting high in 1967 great concerts at eagles auditorium led zep hendrix deep purple and on and on of course back the it was mexican dirt weed 6 bucks a lid great memories

Anybody check and see if hell has frozen over.

A man in power with scruples and integrity.

His family and friends should be proud.

His opponents? F them. :peace:

Does he have a Bro with the same views that could take over for the moron DA we have in San Diego.

Great to see, hopefully more and more will start taking this approach!!!

Damn, it is about time someone with integrity has come to power in America!
Remembering the citizens who elected him City Attorney Pete Holmes has honored campaign promises of “not prosecuting simple marijuana cases.”
For far too long Americans have been subjected to, and endured, a fascist police force utilizing oppressive, dehumanizing, policy and tactics in the pursuit of marijuana users. This futile attempt to force compliance of misinformed and misguided legislation onto an unwilling populace has been disastrous to families and our country. From "no knock" warrants, and Nazi style intrusions on our privacy, and daily chores, to seizure laws that force hard working American citizens into bankruptcy and financial ruin. All this is being perpetrated on good Americans whose only crime is to be involved with marijuana.
The DEA, State, and Municipal Police, who I am sure are good Americans, have been charged with the task of enforcing legislation that must be changed so we as a Nation can focus these tremendous resources where they are needed most.
I applaud Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes, and hold out hope for many other communities to learn from this example. We must elect and hold responsible those who speak for us, and will honestly represent our desires.

I think its great as their are worse things in life that people need to get punished for. Go after serious crime and leave those of Us who are trying to have a better quality of life alone.

well...if we could only get the Prosecutor, Jay Kimura, to follow the lead of Seattle. We voted for a Lowest Law Enforcement Priority of Cannabis Ordinance in Nov 2008, but the powers that be refuse to implement and enforce this. The Corporation Counsel's view is that since marijuana is still illegal at the state and federal level, they won't enforce this law.

Seattle is setting a great precedent..let's see to it that the Big Island follows suit!

Also beware of what the future often brings in cases such as this......Seattle's City Attorney could get recalled within a matter of weeks, leaving vulnerable many 420ers who then felt they had it all in focus. Then they may bring in some Nazi replacement clown who's against pot and gains twice the busts and property seizures as before, because the local 420 info pool has become very loose and open. I know how these people work. They'll let you have a very lax atmosphere for certain planned periods of time, then "blammo". It's the work of the good ol' American lawyers. I certainly hope Mr. Holmes has plans for staying and working within his current views, not wasting time and resources on 420ers, but he may be in for an internal departmental fight spurred-on by outside federal powers in which he must change his agendas in the future. The bottom line here is not to get too trusting or overly comfortable with any lawyer. Most are ego-headed scum, especially when working within the realm of law enforcement. Just be smart and fulfill your 420 endeavors as legal as possible. Feds often do turn their heads on certain issues if you're following state regulations, so always study and review your state laws often and make some guidelines for your own protection. This could help save everything you've worked for.

The chances of him being recalled are very slim, unless he pulls some sort of a boner.
I find it pretty amazing. The last 10 years have seen a drastic change in Washingtons direction on MJ. I never thought I'd see it but there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

Back
Top Bottom