Seaweed good for flowering stage?

PanzerSaga

Hello good people.

First time grower in the u.k and need some advice on feeding.
Two of my outdoor plants have started to produce flowers.
Is a seaweed based feed good for plants in the flowering stage, or should i switch over to something else?
Also, how often should i feed them?
I am currently feeding once a week, 1/2 strength. Is that enough?

Thanks.

Seaweed fertilizer is derived largely from kelp. Available as extracts in the form of kelp meal or powder, or liquid as cold-compressed or enzymatically digested, seaweed fertilizer types are ranked according to timing of nutrient availability to the plant. Nutrients provided by kelp are micronutrients -- iron, copper, zinc, boron and manganese -- and negligible macronutrients -- nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous. Kelp meal takes the longest period of time to become available to the plant, as it is released slowly. Kelp powder is ground fine enough to be mixed with water and applied as a spray. Nutrients are available immediately and up to a month after application with kelp powder fertilization. Both liquid forms of kelp, cold-compressed and enzymatically digested, have similar levels of micro- and macronutrients to kelp meal and kelp powder, but higher levels of growth hormones. Nutrients in liquid seaweed fertilizer are available for immediate plant use. Because of the low macronutrient levels in seaweed fertilizer, supplemental nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous are needed. What kind of seaweed do you have? pics? Hope this helps, good luck!

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.
You'll have to forgive me as i am totally new to all of this and i really don't know what i am talking about!
The seaweed i am using is called "Shropshire Seaweed"
It says it is an organic growth enhancer.
It is a liquid.
The description on the back says: "Shropshire Seaweed growth enhancer utilizes the natural blend of nutrients and surfactants within the Ascophyllum Nodosum plant to promote growth and stimulate soil activity......we add no nasty solvents or chemicals."
There are no other details on the packaging.
Not really sure if that makes it clearer.
If this isn't good enough for my flowering plants, would a fertiliser designed for tomatoes be a good alternative? Could/should i use both?
Thanks again.

ahahaha seaweed from a landlocked county...whatever next ;)

that looks fantastic tho my friend and i thank you, im almost local to them and was unaware they existed.

it should be perfectly fine to feed all the way through, however organic or not i would still starve the plant for the last week or two, you dont want to be inhaling any left over NPK in the plant.

what soil do you have for your plants btw, that will make a huge difference to the benefits of that seaweed =)

The soil i'm using is called:"New Horizon".
It says it is a multi purpose, peat free, organic compost.
The bag states it will feed plants for 4-6 weeks.
Thanks for your continuing advice.

the soil looks ok, apart from the fact it seems notoriously difficult to find the contents, it gets good reviews among english garders.

during flower your products may be a little hungry as the food is depleted. i reccomend if possible, potting up with more of the same soil so that it has fresh nutrition to start breaking down.

you have a good set up going on, from here on out you should look into either mastering homecomposting (including tipping the balance in our plants favour by composting the right things) or more simply, take a look at our sponsors for natural organic suplements you can use. your current set up will produce ok plants, but if you want more/better you need to give them more food throughout the entire grow.

also consider using beneficial fungus in your soil for further improvements such as mycorrhizae.

and my final advice is to study your ass off in the how to grow sections of this forum. a classic gardener has so much to learn from MJ advancements just as much as modern MJ farmers need to look more at the old ways for better sustainability ;)

Thanks so much GIGaBaNE.
You are right, i really need to do more research.
It's good to know that my current setup will keep my plants going, but i will now look into other ways to maximise their potential.
Thanks once again for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom