Seed in Unpollenated Female Bud

OlderStoner

I have been enjoying the buds from one of my plants and was surprised to find a single seed in one of the buds. Now here is what I can tell you about this female plant. At one point there was a male plant in the same room with her. But neither of them had sexed yet. As soon as I saw the pollen sacks on the male I yanked it out of the room and to the best of my knowledge no pollen was introduced into the room. Several weeks later the female was harvested. And so far out of all the buds I've examined there is but this one seed. And also as far as I know this plant was not feminized and it did not morph in its lifetime. I have looked very closely at this object and it's definitely a seed.

So the question becomes how did this happen. I don't believe in immaculate conception when it comes to plants. I will try and germinate this seed in my next grow to see what happens with it. But my thinking is it might not even germinate and if it does it will probably be a hermie.

hahaha the immaculate conception, that was great. grow that thing out and name it "The Second Coming".

I can only guess that it hermied on ya. not a bad thing. I find seeds in my bags all the time. it is still good bud.
if it did hermie on you then that seed should be female. its win/win if ya ask me.

-musshy

:edit: I just read your other post and I think I may have figured it out.
you mentioned pollenating an outdoor plant a few weeks ago. i'll bet that you got some pollen on your person and visited your flowering female...... the fan blows on you and bam! a single seed.

I realize that with a male anywhere in the vicinity there is a chance of pollination. I not only did my best to keep this male away from the others but I had already harvested this "virgin" female before the male I used to pollinate with was spreading pollen. The other thing is that there was one and only one seed in all of the buds on this female. I know you can limit the number of buds that receive pollen and only produce seeds on those buds. But if this plant did get pollinated why was there only one seed? I think it's more a case of hermie. BTW this was the white widow X plant that is outlined in my grow journal.

ok I'm new here but I read some place that if you leave a female under the lights to long it automatically turns hermie as a survival instinct. So is it possible that something like this might have happened? maybe you caught it as it was just beginning to turn... you know saying what I read was correct... I'm still trying to weed out (pardon the pun) the true from the fiction about growing.

all this over one seed. If it was one seed it hermied. If the male hit it you would have more than one.

ok I'm new here but I read some place that if you leave a female under the lights to long it automatically turns hermie as a survival instinct. So is it possible that something like this might have happened? maybe you caught it as it was just beginning to turn... you know saying what I read was correct... I'm still trying to weed out (pardon the pun) the true from the fiction about growing.

This seem to be more problematic for sativa strains.

The main difference is a true hermaphrodite both male and female at the start of flower(male pollen can produce male, female, and hermie plants, the hermie survival trait) shows at near harvest time (Feminized pollen can produce males rarely, female, and hermie plants).

all this over one seed. If it was one seed it hermied. If the male hit it you would have more than one.
When this happens, is that one seed a female, always. I think the same exact thing happened to member, the guy with the Squiryl in a suit. He said the seed will be a girl. Definately need close ups of the bud. Mother nature can make females produce a seed, to keep the weed on the planet. Not necessarily a hermie just because it made one seed. Hermies usually come from stress, like light interruptions. Just what I read, this does not make it fact. I know very little about hermies and hope I never get one! good luck.

You only need one single pollen anther (the little individual banana like part) to produce enough pollen to pollinate a single female flower. Male flowers are made up of several pollen anthers starting as a hanging bag that opens to display several pollen holding anthers. You probably had one single anther tight inside the bud that only pollinated a single flower. And yes it should be a female as it was born on a plant that has XX chromosones (female) not XY (male). Cheers Pat. PS it is worth while thoroughly checking over long flowering females for the odd male flower for the very purpose of using the pollen to produce female seed.

Thanks for all the replies. Something tells me this is a hermie...even in the smallest sense. I checked all the buds and there was but this one and only seed. So what are the chances that even the smallest little pollen speck fell on just this one spot on the female and it produces this single seed? Is that even a chance because if not, then the only answer left is it was a hermie.

I know keeping the male and one of it's clones around meant the potential for seeds. But it was always my intention to get some seed from this grow. The female which is outside has seeds all over it but I personally shook one of the male branches all over it. I have one other female isolated away from the others which I shook the entire male plant over to pollenate it. The small one in the ground is full of seeds, but I'm waiting a little longer to harvest them. And the other female should give me a boat load of seeds as well. Funny how we used get all ticked off at seeds in the bag. These days it's sans seed most of the time.

Thanks for all the replies. Something tells me this is a hermie...even in the smallest sense. I checked all the buds and there was but this one and only seed. So what are the chances that even the smallest little pollen speck fell on just this one spot on the female and it produces this single seed? Is that even a chance because if not, then the only answer left is it was a hermie.

I know keeping the male and one of it's clones around meant the potential for seeds. But it was always my intention to get some seed from this grow. The female which is outside has seeds all over it but I personally shook one of the male branches all over it. I have one other female isolated away from the others which I shook the entire male plant over to pollenate it. The small one in the ground is full of seeds, but I'm waiting a little longer to harvest them. And the other female should give me a boat load of seeds as well. Funny how we used get all ticked off at seeds in the bag. These days it's sans seed most of the time.
Why are you so sure it is a hermie ? Sounds to me that you don't fully understand the pollination 'process". I don't mean you don't know what your talking about full stop so don't take it I'm having a go at you. Think about it. If it were hermie you would have more than one male flower on the plant consequently you would have more pollen = more pollination = more seeds. So saying the only answer is "It is a hermie" makes no sense at all. A single male flower has several pollen anthers (the bananas ) OK and each anther can produces thousands of pollen grains OK so very doubtful there were more than one (if any) male flowers on the plant. The chances are you may have had some pollen on yourself and one grain got transferred to the plant during your tending to it. I still think a single anther in a flower would have been the culprit. There is a video on youtube by a guy showing exactly this and how he uses it to produce feminised seed. Not the best vid and the guys cred. sounds a bit suss but what it shows is a single male anther inside a female bud and makes understanding the isolated pollination process a bit clearer. Regarding the way you pollinated your other plants you would be better off shaking some pollen into a paper bag and tying this over a lower bud (shake it first) and leave for 24 hrs. I think someone above mentioned similarly and a good idea was to spray the branch/bud with a water mist after you take it off to reduce the pollen blowing around. There a hundreds of flowers in a good size bud and if the pistils are healthy and white they will get pollinated producing ample seeds (unless you want hundreds). Lets face it their viability drops after a couple of years even in good storage conditions e.g. cool, dark, dry so thousands of seeds seems a waste. Cheers Pat.

old stoner i have a thread going similar to this.i found one seed in a bag of some blue cheese.the bud was some of the best.i now have it growing and it has been flowering for 3 days.the plant showed pistils under veg light 3 weeks in.i agree that its weird to only have one bud have one seed.i do not have scientific evidence but some plants can produce seed without a male and still be 100 percent female.i will get flamed for this but oh well.i know u dont believe in immaculate conception but imma flower this girl at least 9 weeks and see if i get a seed. i have also had some purple bud with small white seeds in it,there was maybe 5 seeds in 7 grams.this was also some of the best bud ive ever smoked.the grower said there was no bannas or males anywhere. So you tell me great thread

That's cool. Now that all the big females from the main grow have been harvested I took the clone from the male White Widow X plant and turned it loose on two of the cloned females which I isolated away from the others. One of them is a small White Widow X female, cloned from the main female in my grow. It is covered in seeds and they look ready but it's only been 3 weeks since the pollen was applied. I'd like to give those seeds at least another two weeks to ripen then I'll harvest that little mama.

The other female I pollenated was a clone from the Cotton Candy strain. The Cotton Candy plant which this one was cloned from was harvested about two weeks ago. The buds dried out for 5 days in a dark room. When you touch these buds your fingers are covered in sticky resin. And everyone who has tried it says the same thing...it's very potent and the high you get is instant. So, I'm looking forward to see how this cross bred strain turns out. Wonder what I should call it.... Cotton Candy Widow...?

sorry to bring this dead thread back to life but i couldnt find anything newer.
last year i've grown an unknown hybrid in the wild.
just that feminized seed and no other plant.
while smoking i found a seed.
just one seed in the whole yield (about 13 ounces)
how is it possibile?
anyway i germinated the seed and it's growing (about 3 weeks now)...let's see what it turns to

Back
Top Bottom