Seedbank seed genetic history

You will get a seed that contains ALL the same genetic material the original seed contained. That does not mean each successive plant will be an exact copy. Each seed does/will contain many traits that are and are not expressed by the plant. It is a genetic crap shoot with a lean of the odds in our favor.

Think of it like this. You have brown hair, the wife blonde, but you still have a chance of spitting out a ginger. :)

But unfortunately the seed industry allows the myth that "feminized seeds are genetic duplicates of the P1 mom" to be thought of as fact, because it's really really good for sale$. Which pisses me off.
And, feminizing increases the probability of increased plant sensitivities that lead to sex reversal aka, hermies. Which is why feminized seeds should never be made especially of donor parents that came from, or are prone to, reversals. Prime Examples: Gorilla Glue #4, OG Kush, Sour Diesel.

-Doc

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

But unfortunately the seed industry allows the myth that "feminized seeds are genetic duplicates of the P1 mom" to be thought of as fact, because it's really really good for sale$. Which pisses me off.
And, feminizing increases the probability of increased plant sensitivities that lead to sex reversal aka, hermies. Which is why feminized seeds should never be made especially of donor parents that came from, or are prone to, reversals. Prime Examples: Gorilla Glue #4, OG Kush, Sour Diesel.

-Doc

I do agree with that 100%. I didnt mean identical twin as identical in every aspect but the same genes....I believe their is no way to say a plant will definetly have these colors or this amount of trichromes ect ect. Every plant even if grown in the same enviroment will never be IDENTICAL but will be the same genes

And then there's "autos" :facedesk
I can't figure out why anyone who does indoor would ever run a "strain-X x HEMP" hybrid, or worse: A "feminized" "strainX x HEMP" hybrid. I mean, a fscking light timer is maybe $10...
420-magazine-mobile1219497396.jpg

No.....because believe it or not when you use silver to cause it to create male flowers. It is a self preservation technique for the plant. Even though the plant will create male pollen and flower there was never male genetics introduced. The plant even with those male flowers popping is still most definitely female when it comes to genetics and will remain that way until an actual male is introduced

It's because the plant has no y chromosome, so it's pollen is female.

And then there's "autos" :facedesk
I can't figure out why anyone who does indoor would ever run a "strain-X x HEMP" hybrid, or worse: A "feminized" "strainX x HEMP" hybrid. I mean, a fscking light timer is maybe $10...
420-magazine-mobile1219497396.jpg

I thought it was just mainly for light leaks or people unable to create a period of light deprivation then autos should be fine I really cant say anything because I myself have some autos rite now but Im going to try to grow them with my photos as a bumper harvest

I thought it was just mainly for light leaks or people unable to create a period of light deprivation then autos should be fine I really cant say anything because I myself have some autos rite now but Im going to try to grow them with my photos as a bumper harvest.

Ruderalis was introduced to the modern growing community by Neville in the late 80s, as a tool to allow hybridizing so people with little photoperiod, like Alaska, could induce flowering in cultivars that would otherwise be impossible to grow outdoors in a given geographic location. And because it's HEMP (aka ditchweed) it was essentially ignored for years. Then some drooler thought, "Hey! I can hybridize this hemp with hybrid/strain_____ and sell it to people as an indoor "corner cutter" to (allegedly) save them time!" (Not bothering to think or mention that it'd be at the cost of potency etc.) And a new market was born. #killme

Ive read that the first autos were far less in quantity quality and potency. Im sure they have come a long way since then. I myself have never smoked an auto so I cannot make a comparison myself.....but give me 8-10 weeks and ill let ya know .

Autos, by their very genetic makeup, are inferior in quantity, quality, and potency, still.
An analogy: When one initially breeds-in hemp to drug cannabis cultivars, it's like taking a shit in a glass of water. With "refinement", it's like taking a dump in a small puddle, but the end result is: The size of the body of water matters less than the fact that there'll always be shit in it.

What about hybrid vigor. Are the seed banks sending me hybrid vigor seeds so if I breed I loose that trait?

Sent from my iPhone using 420

What about hybrid vigor. Are the seed banks sending me hybrid vigor seeds so if I breed I loose that?

"Hybrid vigor" is typically exhibited by F1 hybrids which are crosses of two wholly unlike parents, i.e. indica x sativa. Don't buy autos or feminized seeds if you want the best genetic representation of cannabis. Autos are hemp hybrids and femmd seeds are weaksauce.
If you want the aforementioned vigor, buy a true F1 hybrid. If you can find one. The majority of seed retailers sell chucked-pollen polyhybrids, which basically indicates multiple, multiple parent genetics on each side, leading to extreme variation in the progeny. It's extremely lazy "breeding" and for the most part it's used to glom onto some hot clone and get the name to market to cash in, i.e. "Gorilla Glue" x "Whatever pollen is easily available" = SUPERDOOPERGLUE#420 hurr durr only $120 buy now! Garbage.

-Doc

"Hybrid vigor" is typically exhibited by F1 hybrids which are crosses of two wholly unlike parents, i.e. indica x sativa. Don't buy autos or feminized seeds if you want the best genetic representation of cannabis. Autos are hemp hybrids and femmd seeds are weaksauce.
If you want the aforementioned vigor, buy a true F1 hybrid. If you can find one. The majority of seed retailers sell chucked-pollen polyhybrids, which basically indicates multiple, multiple parent genetics on each side, leading to extreme variation in the progeny. It's extremely lazy "breeding" and for the most part it's used to glom onto some hot clone and get the name to market to cash in, i.e. "Gorilla Glue" x "Whatever pollen is easily available" = SUPERDOOPERGLUE#420 hurr durr only $120 buy now! Garbage.

-Doc

That's what I was looking for. I was hoping they were selling more decent shit but I kinda doubted.

Even if I bought that F1 hybrid I would still loose the hybrid if I bred it right? I would have to clone it to keep the vigor? Do these hybrid ones even really exist for average person to buy. And why isn't everyone demanding them?

So if I have seedbank males and females. Jus regular seeds. I have a few strains. If I breed them, together or with different strains, it would produce very similar to the ones I bought?

My thread title should have been. How to breed seedbank seeds to get hybrid vigor. Or how to breed seedbank seeds to have decent seeds.

1a) Even if I bought that F1 hybrid I would still loose the hybrid if I bred it right?
1b) I would have to clone it to keep the vigor?

1) Do these hybrid ones even really exist for average person to buy.
2) And why isn't everyone demanding them?
3) So if I have seedbank males and females. Jus regular seeds. I have a few strains. If I breed them, together or with different strains, it would produce very similar to the ones I bought?

1a) Yes. Breed F1 x F1 it = F2 as I described above.
1b) Correct.
1) Yes**
2) Consumers are usually informed by retailers. This is like wolves guarding sheep.
3) Not unless they're landrace or inbred lines (IBL)

**Assignment:
Buy Afghani and Silver Haze from Sensi Seeds.
Grow them out. Then, round two, go ahead & breed 'Ghani x Silver Haze.
Now grow those out. Enjoy the F1 hybrid results, and learn at the same time.

Assignment #2:
Buy "Marijuana Botany" By RC Clarke. Read it. Twice.

-Doc

1b) Correct.
1) Yes**
2) Consumers are usually informed by retailers. This is like wolves guarding sheep.

**Assignment:

Assignment #2:

-Doc

Thanks.

1b) Correct.
1) Yes**

**Assignment:

Assignment #2:

-Doc

Thanks for your posts in this and other threads, you seem to know your stuff.....I will follow and learn.

Back
Top Bottom