Seedlings

futnucks

Need some help with seedlings. I soak the seeds in water, then the paper towel. Once th tap root is about at least a half inch I put them in small peat pots, but I'm loosing more then half of them before they sprout. What am I doing wrong? what's the best way to get them going? Thanks

Once they come out of the dark towels they go into my grow tents and light....
Usually pop out of the dirt in 24hrs

Be sure and just put em barely under soil...if tap is 3/4" then put em in soil 1" and don't pack the soil or u will crush the tap root

You might try skipping the paper towel step. You can soak in water to "soften" the joint where the seedcase opens and place it into its first real home where, if the moisture level remains decent (IOW, the seed doesn't dry out at this point) and the soil is warm, it'll more than likely sprout if it's going to. Or you can leave in the water until it opens and begins extending its rootlet, then carefully transfer it directly into the soil.

In some cases (old seed), it can be helpful to roughen the seedcase. I suppose this would make it easier to get moisture and open? I've heard of people gluing a piece of sandpaper to the inside of a matchbox, inserting the seed(s), and shaking it for a bit, so I don't suppose one need be exact about things.

If you go the cup of water route... I avoid using water fresh from the tap. due to chlorination. A little is probably not a show-stopper, but my water is difficult to drink when fresh, lol. Remember that a plant - even in its embryonic stage, if it's active - needs to be able to absorb oxygen at the root zone (or "rootlet zone," ;) ). If the process takes more than a day, a change of water would be appropriate. Especially if one places the cup in a warm location. And it is not necessary to leave the seed in the cup of water (or damp paper towel, etc.) for any length of time after observing the tiny rootlet emerge. The thing has a very limited amount of stored energy at that point, and must draw from it until its cotyledons have emerged.

The reason I stopped doing the paper towel thing is because healthy roots have microscopic (or at least very tiny) hairlike extensions(?), whatever they're called. It takes very little to damage these. Often, there is damage but it is not enough to keep the seedling from emerging, so we don't notice - but it is still unnecessary stress at a time when the thing isn't able to deal with much.

I don't use peat pots/pods, either. But that's more a personal choice than anything scientific, lol. I'd just rather not disturb a tender young seedling if I can avoid it. When one is using regular (non-feminized) seeds, the first few weeks of growth are important in the seedling's sexual determination. Other than that, I believe that getting things right at the beginning contributes to healthier plants overall and a higher yield (given comparable conditions otherwise - no extra vegetative time on the stressed one to compensate for temporarily stalled growth, etc.). Once a plant has passed the first four or five weeks of growth, I don't mind a little stress, and may allow the plants to get slightly rootbound before transplanting into larger quarters. YMMV in that regard (as in all things) and I've read that this might be a Bad Thing if one is growing an auto-flowering strain.

You might try skipping the paper towel step. You can soak in water to "soften" the joint where the seedcase opens and place it into its first real home where, if the moisture level remains decent (IOW, the seed doesn't dry out at this point) and the soil is warm, it'll more than likely sprout if it's going to. Or you can leave in the water until it opens and begins extending its rootlet, then carefully transfer it directly into the soil.

In some cases (old seed), it can be helpful to roughen the seedcase. I suppose this would make it easier to get moisture and open? I've heard of people gluing a piece of sandpaper to the inside of a matchbox, inserting the seed(s), and shaking it for a bit, so I don't suppose one need be exact about things.

If you go the cup of water route... I avoid using water fresh from the tap. due to chlorination. A little is probably not a show-stopper, but my water is difficult to drink when fresh, lol. Remember that a plant - even in its embryonic stage, if it's active - needs to be able to absorb oxygen at the root zone (or "rootlet zone," ;) ). If the process takes more than a day, a change of water would be appropriate. Especially if one places the cup in a warm location. And it is not necessary to leave the seed in the cup of water (or damp paper towel, etc.) for any length of time after observing the tiny rootlet emerge. The thing has a very limited amount of stored energy at that point, and must draw from it until its cotyledons have emerged.

The reason I stopped doing the paper towel thing is because healthy roots have microscopic (or at least very tiny) hairlike extensions(?), whatever they're called. It takes very little to damage these. Often, there is damage but it is not enough to keep the seedling from emerging, so we don't notice - but it is still unnecessary stress at a time when the thing isn't able to deal with much.

I don't use peat pots/pods, either. But that's more a personal choice than anything scientific, lol. I'd just rather not disturb a tender young seedling if I can avoid it. When one is using regular (non-feminized) seeds, the first few weeks of growth are important in the seedling's sexual determination. Other than that, I believe that getting things right at the beginning contributes to healthier plants overall and a higher yield (given comparable conditions otherwise - no extra vegetative time on the stressed one to compensate for temporarily stalled growth, etc.). Once a plant has passed the first four or five weeks of growth, I don't mind a little stress, and may allow the plants to get slightly rootbound before transplanting into larger quarters. YMMV in that regard (as in all things) and I've read that this might be a Bad Thing if one is growing an auto-flowering strain.

Thanks for the great advice. I'll give that a try

Back
Top Bottom