Stalled Autoflower Seedling

Will11

Hey everyone,

I started growing about nine months ago and had great success with my first three autos. Since then I’ve struggled. I germinate seeds 24 hours in distilled water then transition to paper towel. When the tap root is about right I plant into ocean forest 5 gallon. Most of my seedlings break the surface but then just stopped growing. These two seedlings were planted at the same time… you can see one is severely stalled for being eight days old. The other seems to be moving along normally. I have an SF 1000 light dialed in at 50% about two and a half feet from seedlings. Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated. I’m completely new to the forum so big shout out to Azimuth for encouraging me to start a thread.

81A1F78F-E0E1-4916-946E-93617E9D0CA5.jpeg

174AC2EC-1015-4CA4-B1AF-C71B5321B9B6.jpeg

That's a pretty big pot for such a small plant. Normally I start seeds in something like a 9oz cup at the most. I know with autos the advice is sometimes given to start them in their final pots but that requires good knowledge of proper watering.

@Emilya has a good thread to read HERE about how to do just that.

Hey everyone,

I started growing about nine months ago and had great success with my first three autos. Since then I’ve struggled. I germinate seeds 24 hours in distilled water then transition to paper towel. When the tap root is about right I plant into ocean forest 5 gallon. Most of my seedlings break the surface but then just stopped growing. These two seedlings were planted at the same time… you can see one is severely stalled for being eight days old. The other seems to be moving along normally. I have an SF 1000 light dialed in at 50% about two and a half feet from seedlings. Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated. I’m completely new to the forum so big shout out to Azimuth for encouraging me to start a thread.

81A1F78F-E0E1-4916-946E-93617E9D0CA5.jpeg

174AC2EC-1015-4CA4-B1AF-C71B5321B9B6.jpeg
Hey nice start to a journal....and thanks @Azimuth for getting you started....so you say the lights are 2.5 ft from seedlings at 50%? I would move those down to 12 inches for multi benefit- warmth from light and will ensure they don't stretch and get lanky.
And for the seedling just patience is needed trust them to do they're thing... I get runts every grow they usually fix them selves....usually lol.

So for seeds I do mine different... I sand the edge of seeds...soak in salt bath for 10 minutes...rinse...soak in shot glass of water 24+-..... And once they split they go into 3 gallon pots (center) no more than 1/4 inch down....I never use paper towel, baggie, let tap root get long... To much handling and environment changes.... Everyone does it different but this system has a really good rate of success.

That's a pretty big pot for such a small plant. Normally I start seeds in something like a 9oz cup at the most. I know with autos the advice is sometimes given to start them in their final pots but that requires good knowledge of proper watering.

@Emilya has a good thread to read HERE about how to do just that.
Hey @Azimuth this is super helpful! Lots to read over and learn.

Hey nice start to a journal....and thanks @Azimuth for getting you started....so you say the lights are 2.5 ft from seedlings at 50%? I would move those down to 12 inches for multi benefit- warmth from light and will ensure they don't stretch and get lanky.
And for the seedling just patience is needed trust them to do they're thing... I get runts every grow they usually fix them selves....usually lol.

So for seeds I do mine different... I sand the edge of seeds...soak in salt bath for 10 minutes...rinse...soak in shot glass of water 24+-..... And once they split they go into 3 gallon pots (center) no more than 1/4 inch down....I never use paper towel, baggie, let tap root get long... To much handling and environment changes.... Everyone does it different but this system has a really good rate of success.
Thanks @HappyHazmat88 this is super helpful. I’ve heard of using a little sand paper but have been too scared to try it!

Thanks @HappyHazmat88 this is super helpful. I’ve heard of using a little sand paper but have been too scared to try it!
Anything I can do to help bud....Lol don't be nervous just enough to dull the one edge...tricky part is holding onto it while lightly sanding lol

Anything I can do to help bud....Lol don't be nervous just enough to dull the one edge...tricky part is holding onto it while lightly sanding lol

I used to use a matchbox lined with pritty gritty sandpaper, but seeds would occasionally come flying out during the shaking process. :eek: Now I use a mini-altoids tin (they are not a sponsor) lined with pritty gritty sandpaper. It clicks shut!

Welcome Will11, glad you made it here! Seedlings, go figure, me too and many of us. It's just a touchy time I think. I soak them until I see a short tail, a crack will do it for me. Then they go into a final pot if it an auto. Others do it differently. Enjoy!
Thanks Stone! I get them to pop, but they seem to die when they start to poke out of the soil! Super frustrating. I think @Azimuth is right, I need to watch my watering.

Wow! Never seen that before! Why would you want to crack them with pressure? Wouldn’t that damage them?
Idk man when I saw one being demonstrated at a 420 event...he smashed a few seeds lol and was like "haha guess it was the wrong size".... Like what the hell lol.

I usually just end up sanding part of my finger holding em lol.... Speaking of have you seen seed cracker blocks....it looks super stressful.

il_570xN.2302927047_533u.jpg
Pot growers will buy anything!!

If you're really having issues with getting seedlings to grow, use some seed starter mix. The stuff is mostly coco and peat, with some mica and sometimes perilite. Once you get a tail on the seed, put it in the starter mix, it will grow, and it's hard to overwater (but do be careful). After a week or two transfer to a larger container or it's final container (particularly for autos).

Start in a solo cup. Cut holes in the bottom for drainage. Place a baggie over the top of cup. place in a heated seed mat.

4CF9230A-4CC2-4EC8-AF17-F16F07FD7DB0.jpeg
But take that bag off after they break the surface to harden them off. If you leave them in a moist, stagnant air environment too long you can invite problems.

Yeah - He didn't pay $10 for your last seed you have!!!! :hmmmm:
Well I mean it was an event so they had plenty of seeds to try it on... Made me cringe then laugh after he did to 3 of em lol

Well I mean it was an event so they had plenty of seeds to try it on... Made me cringe then laugh after he did to 3 of em lol
Like all those Hip Hop artists burning hundred dollar bills. Hell, give 'em to me if you don't want them that bad. :(

Back
Top Bottom