Seedlings

Tigre

420 Member
Hello everyone, I’m new to growing and plan on starting a indoor grow with autoflower seeds. All I need to know is can I start my seedlings with fox farm ocean soil in solo cups, then transfer them to 3 gallon smart pots in 3-4 weeks. I‘m Planning on using fox farm thro out the grow! Just wondering if fox farms is to hot for seedlings to start off. I was told from guys that they never had any problems from start to finish with fox farms ocean! I just wanted to have no burns to start off!
Thanks again, Tigre!

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum @Tigre :welcome:
Hello everyone, I’m new to growing and plan on starting a indoor grow with autoflower seeds. All I need to know is can I start my seedlings with fox farm ocean soil in solo cups, then transfer them to 3 gallon smart pots in 3-4 weeks. I‘m Planning on using fox farm thro out the grow! Just wondering if fox farms is to hot for seedlings to start off. I was told from guys that they never had any problems from start to finish with fox farms ocean! I just wanted to have no burns to start off!
Thanks again, Tigre!
I made that mistake once, always start your autos in the pot it will finish in. And I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest, but I leave a solo cup size hole in the center for some seedling starter mix, it acts as a buffer, in case your seedling doesn't like the heat from the get go :thumb: you can see what I'm talking about here...

And then in 30 days....

I've used peat cups, but you only get 4 days of germination and 4-6 days of growing before the tap root shows at the bottom and need to be transplanted anyway. I personally like to premix my soil in a bucket and moisten evenly and not saturate the medium. Then I hit the top of the soil with a Sprayer and settle it all in. Don't forget the Mykos. Keep it Green. :volcano-smiley:

If you are looking for a good bagged seedling mix, Black gold is super fluffy, it's basically peat/perlite and a bit of yucca. It's so light and fluffy. Nice job above @MochaBud perfect right there ALL set.
Peat/perlite (Sunshine #4, Pro Mix HP)is a great hydroponic media for starting seedlings as the nute charge is very low. You can grow full cycle with it as well. I start giving 1/4 strength nutes when the 3rd set of real leaves come on. Never have to measure pH as both are well buffered.

Those plants look really nice! Thanks for the advice! I was told that you should start in a solo cup so the roots get really developed more in a tight space versus the transfer pot it’s going in. If you plant your seedlings in it’s finally pot, the root development has to much space to grow big roots. When you take your seedlings out of the solo cup in 3 weeks or so..the roots will be so crazy and full when you transfer to the final pot. Now you have really full developed roots that can spread wild in the pots and grow bigger plants and yields out of your Auto’s. I’ve seen videos from 420..and the roots are crazy! I have a friend that works at our dispensary and he told me the same thing. I Like the way you do it to so I’ll do one plant that way out of four plants I’m gonna grow. I'm planning on April 1 to start my indoor grow. I’m new to the game, but I have a lot of confidence and support. Stay close Mocha,I will stay in touch.

Peat/perlite (Sunshine #4, Pro Mix HP)is a great hydroponic media for starting seedlings as the nute charge is very low. You can grow full cycle with it as well. I start giving 1/4 strength nutes when the 3rd set of real leaves come on. Never have to measure pH as both are well buffered.

HP Promix is what I use both indoors and OUT as my base. I've never had an issue with drainage and I don't add more perlite either. I have added Vermiculite(outdoor mix) if I have it, but it's totally not necessary with Pro Mix(3.8cf). This is spot on, if you have healthy plants, it's two weeks and you should have 3 sets of leaves and starting the 4th. I usually top my plants around day 21-25.

A couple of pictures for reference. Keep it Green. :volcano-smiley:

You will be in the zone of a node almost every other day. You see how she's a bit droopy and bottom leaf is a little twisty. Time for a transplant.

Those plants look really nice! Thanks for the advice! I was told that you should start in a solo cup so the roots get really developed more in a tight space versus the transfer pot it’s going in. If you plant your seedlings in it’s finally pot, the root development has to much space to grow big roots. When you take your seedlings out of the solo cup in 3 weeks or so..the roots will be so crazy and full when you transfer to the final pot. Now you have really full developed roots that can spread wild in the pots and grow bigger plants and yields out of your Auto’s. I’ve seen videos from 420..and the roots are crazy! I have a friend that works at our dispensary and he told me the same thing. I Like the way you do it to so I’ll do one plant that way out of four plants I’m gonna grow. I'm planning on April 1 to start my indoor grow. I’m new to the game, but I have a lot of confidence and support. Stay close Mocha,I will stay in touch.
Well to each their own I always say, I don't grow conventionally, I always have to learn the hard way :rofl: but I do find methods that work "for me" and you'll find what works for you too :thumb:

BTW, at about 30 days is when they should have fully developed roots in their final pot, and then they take off...that pic was taken 3 days ago, here's one from last night...sorry about the light, it throws the color off real bad...:hmmmm:

Welcome to the forum @Tigre :welcome:

I made that mistake once, always start your autos in the pot it will finish in. And I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest, but I leave a solo cup size hole in the center for some seedling starter mix, it acts as a buffer, in case your seedling doesn't like the heat from the get go :thumb: you can see what I'm talking about here...

And then in 30 days....

HP Promix is what I use both indoors and OUT as my base. I've never had an issue with drainage and I don't add more perlite either. I have added Vermiculite(outdoor mix) if I have it, but it's totally not necessary with Pro Mix(3.8cf). This is spot on, if you have healthy plants, it's two weeks and you should have 3 sets of leaves and starting the 4th. I usually top my plants around day 21-25.

A couple of pictures for reference. Keep it Green. :volcano-smiley:

You will be in the zone of a node almost every other day. You see how she's a bit droopy and bottom leaf is a little twisty. Time for a transplant.
I think I’m gonna start your way Johnniejc3, then transfer to their final 3 gallon pots with Fox Farm Ocean hydro soil for the rest of the way! I just wanted a good start on my seedlings. I’m going with Pineapple Express,Purple Lemonade,Sour kush and Tangerine Dream..all auto’s in April 1. I’m planning now to be ready with some confidence. Thanks for all the 420 love! Keep Growing! Oh I like the way Mochabud did his seedlings..so Im gonna try two plants his way and Johnnie. Thanks for all the advice. Peace for now!

You can start auto seeds in anything you like. I use jiffys' and transfer to 5 gal. pre-moistened, FFOF/perlite/organic slow release dry granular mix, as soon as I see tap root emerge ( 10-14 hrs. after sprout) and water only until week 7. Never had any root development problems. Quite the contrary. Organic soil auto grower.

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_183405387_HDR (2).jpg
    IMG_20200926_183405387_HDR (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200926_213710163_HDR (2).jpg
    IMG_20200926_213710163_HDR (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200927_105205289_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200927_105205289_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3054.JPG
    DSCN3054.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
If you are good at transplanting(and photo seeds) I would say go for it, but Auto's are and can be sensitive and you could do peat cups which I've used in the past and they just plug N play in the soil.
What size peat cups are good for my seedlings and then transfer To 3 gallon pots. I’m gonna try both ways to see how I do! Direct in final pots and peat cups! I see they sell 3”..5”.. just wondering!

You can start auto seeds in anything you like. I use jiffys' and transfer to 5 gal. pre-moistened, FFOF/perlite/organic slow release dry granular mix, as soon as I see tap root emerge ( 10-14 hrs. after sprout) and water only until week 7. Never had any root development problems. Quite the contrary. Organic soil auto grower.
Thanks for the advice! I think everyone has giving me good advice on how to handle my seedlings and the peat cups and jiffy’s cup are great ideas I’m gonna use. The soil fox farm will finish the job.

I just use the 3", I've used the 5", you get a little more time to transfer, but maybe a day or two at best. As soon as I see the tap root as shown above @skirk it's time for some space. You don't want anything to impede the growth of an auto. You slow down a photo, you're going to be just fine.

The expandable jiffy pellets are cheap and work just as well and there all in one no soil necessary. I get 3 - 4 days germ, about 4 days growth(8 days total in the 3" pot) and it's time to get them in a pot. I don't know how long @skirk gets in those jiffy's, I'm betting NOT long.

Nice thick trunk little bonsai plant you have there, looks to be 2 ounces or so.... Very Nice!

The "don't transplant autos" is it a widespread myth? My first grow, transplanted the normal way to seedling in solos, was not as big as my direct to final pot germination on autos. I went against the grain, and only saw it on this new op. These are twice as big and have 6 nodes after 18 days since the soaked and tap root sprouting seeds hit the dirt.
20200930_071917.jpg

I would do exactly what Mochabud did.
Except I'd use at least 5 gallon fabric pots.
You can do all the transplant nonsense but it makes zero difference and just opens up an opportunity to stunt the plant which with an autoflower is the last thing you want to do.

And you definitely don't want to leave an autoflower in a solo cup for 4 weeks it will already be flowering by then, LOL.

Id say 10 days at the most and then into final pot.
The first 3 weeks growth of an autoflower will dictate your yield.

I usually plant a germinated seed directly into my 25 gallon fabric pot and my roots grow like wildfire.
The key to getting a massive root system is using very good soil or coco with lots of aeration, watering with super oxygenated water to drive dissolved oxygen to the roots, and mycorrhazae.

I would do exactly what Mochabud did.
Except I'd use at least 5 gallon fabric pots.
You can do all the transplant nonsense but it makes zero difference and just opens up an opportunity to stunt the plant which with an autoflower is the last thing you want to do.

And you definitely don't want to leave an autoflower in a solo cup for 4 weeks it will already be flowering by then, LOL.

Id say 10 days at the most and then into final pot.
The first 3 weeks growth of an autoflower will dictate your yield.

I usually plant a germinated seed directly into my 25 gallon fabric pot and my roots grow like wildfire.
The key to getting a massive root system is using very good soil or coco with lots of aeration, watering with super oxygenated water to drive dissolved oxygen to the roots, and mycorrhazae.
I think I‘m going with Mochabud idea planting! It’s a smart way doing it and I like the process. I’m gonna use fox farm ocean soil and mochabud seedling idea in the middle. I have another question? I’m gonna use a 32x32x64 grow tent I want to use a 600w Led light with a true 265w wall draw for 4 plants. I’ve read 35w per square ft..and 50w per square ft. For each plant. which is it! Lol. I just want to grow 4 healthy auto plants at a time in that size tent! Looking for light! true 200w plus.

Ideally you want about 60w per square foot with the ability to dim it down to 30w/sq/ft that way youre covered from seedling to flower and have a little extra to use as the LEDs slowly get dimmer over the years.

2.5' x 2.5' x 5' is probably going to be a tad small for 4 plants.
You're likely going to end up with a blivet if all 4 plants grow well.

Back
Top Bottom