Should you top, prune, and bend? Or Top only? How do you do it?

wtfruthinking

Top, Prune, and Bend? or Topping Only.. How do you do it?

I've been training my girls by bending them and exposing more light to each branch. Just wondering if it's beneficial to also top AND prune. Everyone does it differently so I was just trying to get some opinions. Bending, pruning, and topping?... or bend and top? or top and prune only? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

:surf:

Re: Should you top, prune, and bend? Or Top only? How do you do it??

my oppinion is basically worthless. try different methods on different plants.what werks for you is best. however saying that has an eight to twelve week learning curb.

hi ive seen plant bending b4 and the plants ive seen looked ok, ive not tried this myself but i do top my plant 1 week in to the flowering cycle i follow the stem all the way to the top and cut off the very last node, happy growing

Each technique, pruning, topping and bending are used to improve yields in plants, but for different reasons.

Pruning allows you to take clones, but then helps clear away lower leafs that won't get adequate light, which forces the plant to put energy into the light abundant bud sites.

Bending is great for grow areas that are lacking in height, as it allows you to get the main stem to keep growing without being too tall (get more bud sites), expose lower bud sites to more light, and let the bushiness of the plant extend over a greater horizontal area.

Topping is another technique for maintaining height, where to clip the main stem and end up splitting to two branches. Beyond that, when you top a plant, it puts more energy into feeding the lower leaves (again). There is another form of topping, known as FIMing, where you trim a bit above where you cut for topping, which can yield as many as 8 branches.

I'm in the process of LSTing (bending) one of my plants, and FIMing (different topping technique) another plant. Check my journal out, and best of luck to you!

Thank you for the info. It seems like a simple topic but my friends and I always start out "debating" then leads into a huge argument. I've topped, pruned, and bend. I've never tried super cropping and think I will try it and see how it goes. My friends say, "no" to bending and feels that topping and pruning are the way to go. I prune only to take the clones. Kill 2 birds w/ one stone.

Has anyone tried a combination of these methods together?

I'll definitely check out your journal Diemand Edge. Thanks to all who's responded. I'll let you know how supercropping goes.. Looks scary..

:thanks:

i topped my girls week 5 then i super cropp them as needed it is harmless i would rather bend the crop then burn it with the light..so yes i have tried both fimming and topping followed by super cropping..

:allgood:

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 weeks left before flowering. Think I can get away with pruning and super cropping?

oh yeah ive done it two weeks earlier than flower , but pruning is more for the lower leaves , you pinch one side of the stem and bend over she will get knots where you bend her and all the branches will go for the light ..

Super cropping/bending is great if you have a lot more horizontal room than you do vertical. Topping is great for taller areas with less floor space. I seem to have more vertical room, so topping works great for me. If you're able to plant outdoors and maintain the plants, then super cropping is the way to go... it doesn't slow the progress of the plant at all :)

Topping is good early on... but supercropping is best for pre and early flowering. You can supercrop all the way through stretch.

I've used both supercropping and LST (bending) to keep the canopy top as even as possible - you basically just want to use all of your light footprint, so both techniques will be useful depending on how you need to train the plant to fill the grow space.

I have topped before but this time I just supercropped and I like it better, I got all the lower stuff growing and thickened up my stalk, but I still have my main cola. I pruned the lowest 3 or 4 branches off and it made the crown spurt so that worked out well. One of my plants is staiva dominant if not pure and it is really bushy, looks better than my hybrid actually.

obx and caliman ----yeah buddy thats why i had to supercrop my girls i ran short of space....three foot plants and 8 inches of grow room after i cropped them it gave me about a foot and all the branches are shooting for the light as my stem stays dwn way cool trick im glad roseman and trunk5 and frying pan flyer,,,, well you get it thank you guys and all at 420 mag for helping me in my grow..

Back
Top Bottom