Sick looking 5 day old plants

tomatogarden

I came home today to plant 1 and 2 both looking a little sickly, the structure and leaves still look great except there is some yellowing and spotting. I haven't fed them anything yet and I just watered them yesterday, although their soil is already pretty dry. Too much light? Temp stays around 70-75 so it's probably not heat and they have a fan circulating the air around right above them, idk what could be going on.

Plant 1, leaf tips yellowing as well as some spotting on the cotyledons

Plant 2 as well:(

Organic soil called ferry-moorse organic starter containing sphagnum moss, horticultural vermaculite, perlite and an organic wetting agent, i havrnt phd my soil i use filtered sink water that sits out for 12 hours. And thanks for the picture thing

Ok, so I may have one problem.. Or A few.

Right when we started, my g/f's aunt gave us a month old plant as a "welcome to the club" gesture. (Super unexpected and totally awesome (she also gave us some lights too!))

Since then I've had some seedlings sprout and they were doing totally awesome ( I think they are about 12 days old) Until I started noticing some bullshit going on with big mama. Ended up being thripes, dealt with them no problem, but then the weirdness started.

Tips started looking burnt, seems like it hasn't grown very much, leaves are still green but lighter than they should be. The tips are turning down, some are just flat and bent weird (kinda look depressed)

I'm growing in dirt. Haven't used any nutrients just water. I should be getting some ph strips tonight, but I don't feel like that's the issue.

We started noticing a few of those gnats, so I didn't water them for a few days and let the dirt dry out. Even went as far as to transplant big mama into new dirt. (I'm almost 100% sure the old soil was where I was getting the bugs) I had read that the gnats will cause problems that look like all of the above problems, but I'm really just too inexperienced to know the difference.

Any help would be appreciated

*tested the p.h today and it was 8.0.. Is that my "killer"?

Ok, so I may have one problem.. Or A few.

Right when we started, my g/f's aunt gave us a month old plant as a "welcome to the club" gesture. (Super unexpected and totally awesome (she also gave us some lights too!))

Since then I've had some seedlings sprout and they were doing totally awesome ( I think they are about 12 days old) Until I started noticing some bullshit going on with big mama. Ended up being thripes, dealt with them no problem, but then the weirdness started.

Tips started looking burnt, seems like it hasn't grown very much, leaves are still green but lighter than they should be. The tips are turning down, some are just flat and bent weird (kinda look depressed)

I'm growing in dirt. Haven't used any nutrients just water. I should be getting some ph strips tonight, but I don't feel like that's the issue.

We started noticing a few of those gnats, so I didn't water them for a few days and let the dirt dry out. Even went as far as to transplant big mama into new dirt. (I'm almost 100% sure the old soil was where I was getting the bugs) I had read that the gnats will cause problems that look like all of the above problems, but I'm really just too inexperienced to know the difference.

Any help would be appreciated

*tested the p.h today and it was 8.0.. Is that my "killer"?

You'd get a better result if you start your own thread on this. We will continue to help the original poster here, and if we are trying to correct two different peoples problems, there will be too much confusion. Head to the FAQ section of the site and select Post New Thread on the top left of the page.

Organic soil called ferry-moorse organic starter containing sphagnum moss, horticultural vermaculite, perlite and an organic wetting agent, i havrnt phd my soil i use filtered sink water that sits out for 12 hours. And thanks for the picture thing

Sphagnum moss = peat moss, so the system you have is actually soilless, not soil. You will want your ph around 5.8-6.2 for soilless, I'd make sure this is your true ph and try to keep it stable. Your medium should be less prone to bugs than soil is. And for all the chlorine in your tap water to evaporate will take 2 full days at least, I'd let the water sit out longer. So fix/make sure ph is around 6 and let the water sit out longer, you should see improvement

Sphagnum moss = peat moss, so the system you have is actually soilless, not soil. You will want your ph around 5.8-6.2 for soilless, I'd make sure this is your true ph and try to keep it stable. Your medium should be less prone to bugs than soil is. And for all the chlorine in your tap water to evaporate will take 2 full days at least, I'd let the water sit out longer. So fix/make sure ph is around 6 and let the water sit out longer, you should see improvement

thanks for the reply, I came home and plant 1 seems worse, white spots on the leaves and no growth. #2s leaves looked the same as yesterday but it budded its second set of leaves and they are nice and green so far.

plant 1

26418.jpg

plant 2

26818.jpg

I'm gonna ph my runoff this weekend and also let the water sit out longer and see how it goes

I now have test strips for PPM that I'm going to somehow use to test pH, plant one is dead plant 2 and 3 are my best hopes right now, they have almost completely dead looking cotyledons but they have recently started new growth and that looks promising. Plant 4 has finally sprouted its second set of real leaves but i feel that shes a lost cause lol, I can't take pictures right now I will try to in the following days

Back
Top Bottom