Signs of sexing...already?

HigherDrifter

Just got done inspecting my plants (some meadering indica/sativa crosspatches...no clue as to their "strain")

Not 100% sure, but, I swear I'm seeing the early formation of male pollen sacks AND some female pre-flowers.

Wasn't anticipating any signs of sexing for at least another 3 weeks.

Plants have only been vegging for 11~12 weeks.

I'll be keeping a close eye out on them for the next few days.

Are these in your backyard grow?

Yep.

This picture (along with the others in the gallery) were taken on the 24th - so 'bout a week ago. A few of them are already taller than me:

MJ_Pic_1.jpg

I don't know if outdoor plants sex later than indoor?

I don't know either. Only my second grow.

Last year they vegged a bit longer before sexing - at least a month.

Here.

Took this pic just a few minutes ago:

MJ_6.jpg

you should definitely be able to tell the sex of those monsters. They should have preflowers by now, I break out my 30x magnifying glass and search for little hairs up near the top growth.

Very impressive garden. Welcome to the jungle must be playing somewhere in the background.

Very impressive garden.

Thanks.

Welcome to the jungle must be playing somewhere in the background.

Nah. I got a small stereo on the back porch playin a LP CD with chimes chiming, birds chirping, running river noise, ocean waves crashin on the rocks, wind blowing through the trees - that kinda earthy stuff. Helps drown out most of the noisy, barking dogs and street noise.

Yeah. They're monsters alright.

I'll be chopping most of them down soon. Only gonna keep 2 females. Harvest the "legal" stash and then either donate or mulch the rest.

Was going to make some seed, but...I don't particularly care for this kinda weed...too damn heavy and fat even for a S/I split. Some dude gave me the seeds 2 years ago. Was good for holding me over till I found something more to my preference.

Got some Sativa Eldorado (Oaxacan Landrace) seeds on the way (hopefully)...placed an order today. If this Eldorado is close to what I use to smoke years ago (and I'm pretty sure it is) then...I'm set.

Damn it.

I don't have the latest camera and this "old" Canon SD1000 just doesn't have the resolution for good macro shots. I do have a magnifying glass, not all that powerful (for reading fine printed stuff)...

I'm seeing what could be described as clusters of little light green "seed looking things" forming on a single stem, pretty much like what I saw last year :scratchinghead: . Could be pollen sacs or they could be leaf buds.

Dude... I agree w/stevehman... you should already be able to define the sex by now... actually a lot earlier even!

If indeed you are seeing "clusters" then I would say YES... get the F rid of them!
As big as those are... you should not even need a mag glass to be able to tell. I am sorry to hear you have so much time into males but... live and learn!

Other than that you shit looks good and healthy... :yahoo:

clusters of little light green "seed looking things" forming on a single stem, pretty much like what I saw last year :scratchinghead: . Could be pollen sacs or they could be leaf buds.

Check out the pics on this thread, you'll see the small preflowers and what they look like. It sounds like you're describing male preflowers, possibly full-on flowers. If they are in clusters, then they are most likely males flowers.

Go to this link and scroll down to the pic of:
Matanuska Valley - Matanuska Thunder F*ck
420 Magazine's Plant of the Month: July 2011

Those are a perfect example of male flowers (M.V. thanks for the pic).

Check out the pics on this thread, you'll see the small preflowers and what they look like. It sounds like you're describing male preflowers, possibly full-on flowers. If they are in clusters, then they are most likely males flowers.

I've been looking at 100's of Cannabis sexing pics all over the internet for the last couple years. Some of them are resembling what I'm seeing on my plants, some of them are not (as far as the male plants are concerned). Plus, for example, last year, some of what I thought to be clusters of pollen sacs turned out to be sprouting leaves.

The female pre-flowers are easy enough to spot and identify for me...no problem there.

Dude... I agree w/stevehman... you should already be able to define the sex by now... actually a lot earlier even!

I don't know why yall keep readily insisting my plants ought to be sexing after only 11~12 weeks (outdoor grow). Last year I grew from the same seeds and they vegged a good 3~4 weeks longer than the ones I've got now.

Last year's weather, being much warmer and sunnier than this year, was the only significant difference with the growing conditions, soil amenities and watering. Not exactly a carbon copy this year, but, I was largerly anticipating the same veg time, or longer (longer due to cooler temps and more cloud cover.)

As big as those are... you should not even need a mag glass to be able to tell.

As big as what are? The plants themselves? The clusters that I'm seeing, which are very tiny right now...?

I am sorry to hear you have so much time into males but...

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to with this statement...but I'm going to forget that I read it cuz I'm finding rather presumptuous and slanderous.

I don't think Captain K meant anything bad by it. Most growers (particularly indoor growers) kill males plants as soon as they even think they may be male. They're considered a waste of nutrients and space--unless you are going to produce some seeds.

If you can get some pics of them later on, I'd like to see them.
I thought I read in your grow journal that you are planning on making seeds for next year with this grow. If you are, I would cut a few of the branches from the male plants and then harvest the pollen for later. I would then remove the rest of the males so that you don't end up with a total seed crop. THen when the female flowers are showing, you can plinate a few of the branches to produce seeds and the rest of the plant should be clean buds.

I think everyone is surprised, because we are all used to seeing sex in 3-5 weeks. I don't think any of my plants waited longer than that to show, although, I've only grown seven strains so far, so there are a lot of others I have zero experience with.

Plants are considered sexually mature when they start to produce offset branches, that is about the time you should be able to tell sex. My rule of thumb is anything that doesn't show their girly parts within 2 weeks of that point goes into the compost pile. I am limited on space so I can't afford to wait to see.

Your grow looks awesome, keep up the good work.

If you can get some pics of them later on, I'd like to see them.

I can't really produce any close-up/hi res photos with my camera. All the pics come out blurry when I take close ups. Doesn't matter if it's during the day or night time.

I thought I read in your grow journal that you are planning on making seeds for next year with this grow.

Yes, I did, but after further consideration I decided I really didn't want to...not with these plants.

I do have more seed left over (quite a bit more) from that vile of seeds this other dude gave me 2 years ago - in the event my Eldorados seed order thing doesn't pan out. Plus, I do have a few seeds from my last dispensary buy (which was last June-July maybe).

Here's the deal.

I'm taking my crop all the way down to ONE female only.

I've got a big, beeeautiful, tall, bushy, colas up the ying-yang, most of the lower colas only a few inches shorter than the "main cola" plant out there...the best looking one out there. The base of the trunk's gotta be at least 1.75 (maybe even 2) inches inches in diameter. I don't want to mistake it for a male and chop it.

If it does turn out to be female...she's gonna be my keeper. If she puts out like the other females did last year, I wouldn't be surprised if I got a total of 4~5 pounds of dried bud from her...I mean she's that big. I'll save my "legal" stash, donate what I can and then mulch (*sigh*) the rest.

I think everyone is surprised, because we are all used to seeing sex in 3-5 weeks.

Yeah, I reckon so.

That and most yall are growing indoors - and I'm growing outdoors. I've tried to be abundantly clear with that.

4~5 lbs would be a phenomenal harvest. If you are already having colas show up, then you should see the hairs that female plants have. Male plants look like little balls, or claws. If you have a ton of colas and you have a male in the garden, chances are some pollen has already been spread and the "seed looking things" are most likely seeds.

I wish I could do an outside grow, but SD county is a little tougher to do that.

I wish I could do an outside grow, but SD county is a little tougher to do that.

Really?

How so?

More strict laws?

Not enough space?

Is outdoor better then indoor?

Really?

How so?

More strict laws?

Not enough space?
It's harder to grow 6+ foot trees indoors, you need a lot of space and tons of light. With the extra light comes heat and higher electric bills (I already spend $350 a month). It's hard to beat mother nature for the abundant-free light that she provides.

In SD county, we are restricted to 24 plants in no more than 64 sq ft. That would be an 8x8 foot plot. We can grow outdoors, but it is up to some interpretation. I has to be in either a locked greenhouse or behind a locked fence adequate to conceal the grow from the outside (to avoid an attractive nuisance).

Also, if you don't live in one of the more open/rural areas, you have to be suspicious of your neighbors.

It would be nice to not worry about timers, electric bills, AC for the room etc... Although indoors has a few advantages, I can control every aspect of the climate and can harvest 8 crops a year. But if you're pulling 4~5lbs a plant, 2 or three plants is all you could need for the whole year (although you'll be over your limit that way).

Is outdoor better then indoor?

I reckon it depends on what you want. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, I like things kept simple, carefree, and labor-free as possible :)

Hmmm....

I've yanked out and chopped up four of my plants; got them decomposing in the CompMulch pit out back (under a decent layer of compmulch and dirt). I'm pretty certain they were all males; all had the seedy looking clusters on them.

I've got one with female pre-flowers. The remaining seven...I dunno; I'm seeing nodes, but I can't tell if they're sexing or just new leaf buds:scratchinghead:.

We had a lot of cloud cover over the weekend here and then had thunderstorms and rain early Monday morning up until about noon. Maybe that invoked some early sexing...?

Should know more by the middle of next week.

hey every one i had a little something to add. We started our 12/12 yesterday morning and today I am seeing early signs of sex. Is it normal to happen so fast?

Back
Top Bottom