Single male flowers?

Budgrower

What is the causes of females plants producing single male flowers . Just realized all my females were seeding and was like what the ****. After detailed inspection found two plants with opened male pollen clusters.Very small went unnoticed.How can I avoid this in the future.Also can you just cut the clusters off before they open to keep the plant or should you just pitch it?

Re: Single male flowers????

late flower hermies happen. I have had a few now. I don't know the reason why,, I think it is related to the survival aspect of the plants,, after a certain point, if they have not received pollen, they know they have only so much longer to live and need to sustain their species... so throw out a few male flowers to self-polinate..

I have only a few plants now that have made it past week 7 of flower,, but I now start watching very closely, every day, towards the last 2 weeks or so, and snip off any male flowers (look like little bananas coming out).. you have 3-4 days from when they first poke out to get rid of them before they open up with pollen...

so, if you do not mind to keep plucking them, then do so,,, if you do not think you will be able to keep up, and have other plants that you do not want to accidentally pollinate,, then cut her down.. really it's how you feel about the situation :hookah:

Stress such as, irregular light cycles and heat can play a role in hermaphroditism. Also some varieties are more prone.

Trying to control your hermie by removing the male flowers is a very difficult thing to do. One mistake is all it takes, and you no longer have a sinsemilla garden.

One thing I would recommend is utilizing blue fluorescents or LEDS to show indication flowers in veg. Giving the plants 12 hours of regular light and 12 hours of blue light will keep the plant in a vegetative state, however it also show flowers.

Stress such as, irregular light cycles and heat can play a role in hermaphroditism. Also some varieties are more prone.
that is my problem right now....

Trying to control your hermie by removing the male flowers is a very difficult thing to do. One mistake is all it takes, and you no longer have a sinsemilla garden.

One thing I would recommend is utilizing blue fluorescents or LEDS to show indication flowers in veg. Giving the plants 12 hours of regular light and 12 hours of blue light will keep the plant in a vegetative state, however it also produce some flowers.

never knew that.. :thanks: +rep

One idea I had, was to create a small NFT system just for my seeds. I recently planted some Chinese Cabbage into an Aquaponics NFT system, and before I even put fish in the tank, my cabbage seeds were sprouting over the surface within two days of dropping the non-germinated seed into the plugs.

This leads me to believe if I had a small, one channel, maybe 5-10 plug NFT system, that I would be able to drop my seeds in, wait about one week. Then introduce the blue lights to show sex. This way I've found my males within the first 2 weeks of planting the seed.

Haven't tried it yet, but don't see why it wouldn't work.

So I found out i had 1 hermie and 1 pollinated female. One missed male part, Hopefully just 1-3 pollinated.. Could the others have avoided? and would the pollination spread from the one pollinated female plant to the others?
I'm having trouble finding exact hermie info on some of the bookmarked botany pages..
Thanks, In time of grief its much appreciated!
:wood:

Fly1, I agree that the one shot you have was a swollen caylax. The little bannana cluster is stealthy but obvious.

Question for all:
What should i do?

I have a load of veg plants that need to come in. What precautions should i take to make sure there's no pollen? or should i wait longer?

can the seeded females pollinate the others? Thanks Nh4

the seeded females will not pollinate the others, but,,, the male-hermie that let his pollen go,, well there could still be some of that left over, floating around your room...

one open flower, can pollenate your whole room,, so that is the problem. Now,, I have had some open up, late hermie, and not had an issue,, just dusted the bud it came from,,, (it was weak pollen,, which, on a late hermie is not unusual,, so i hear,, I could be way off)

If you have even a day with the room empty before you bring the vegging girls in, and you want to be 100% sure there is no pollen left,, then clean your room,, top to bottom, before you bring in new plants...

I have had a few open,, and I just try to minimiz it, and keep up with any new sacks,,, if I get a couple of seeds,, I am not that worried,, so for me,, cleaning the whole room is not worth the effort.. :0 but for you,, it may be a different story..

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom