Slim Budget First Time Grow Indoor Using Soil & CFLs

bananarama

Hey guys,

I've recently decided to take up growing due to the fact that im having difficulty supporting my habit lol. Im on a super tight budget so im gonna call this my ghetto grow for now. I am currently using a modified computer case covered with a windshield reflector with 3 23watt cfls. Used a couple of random bagseed (keep a small container of seeds in my fridge from good sacks). I cut a large creamer container in half to use for pots, added drain holes. Using fox farms ocean forest soil i found at a nursery. Im currently watering them with rain water i collect b/c i cant find a ph meter or ph up n down. I welcome any and all hhelp. I will be documenting my entire grow. Currently on week 2 day 1 since planted. (Veg) 24/0.germinated with a wet papertowel and ziplock bag. Ok so if i missed anything, feel free to ask. On to pics, sorry not high, kinda blabbed on..

Re: Slim budget first time grow indoor using soil and cfls

IMG_20130722_133312.jpg

My case and light setup
IMG_20130722_135432.jpg

My *hopeful* girls lol

Hi stonarox,

Welcome to 420 magazine and the community of like minded folks that gathers here. I appreciate you sharing your grow with us. Certainly more than one grow was inspired by need!

Be well and happy growing!

Ok so for some odd reason the photos i uploaded stretched and some went sideways an upside down lol. Not my doings, they had looked good before uploading lol.

Anyone know when i should add nutes? They are fine right now but im not positive on whether the ffof soil comes with nutes already or not. I have a bottle of super thrive to aide if needed. Also have ff big bloom, i just dont kno when to use it and the feed schedule i have is hard to understand, i do kno to only use a quarter strength at first, thats it lol.

stanarox,

I've not used fox farms ocean forest but I've read of many growers that have and with great results. I see from the FF website that the soil mix is ammended with earth worm castings, bat guano, fish and crab meal so it should have all the nutrients your girls need for several more weeks at least.

I think the general rule of thumb is to not begin feeding nutes until the plants have 4 or 5 nodes, but perhaps someone with more knowledge specific to the Ocean Forest soil can provide more insight.

Small issue im not sure to be worried about.. i was checkin on the girls before bed and saw this little gnat lookin shit flying around, tried to catch it but it went into my soil an i lost it. i looked it up and the only thing i can find is fungus gnats but they are described to have long legs and this lil fucker does not. So i dont kno. Any suggestions as to what it is? If its a fungus gnat, i read of using peroxide solution, potato slices, sand, or alcohol solution? I am on a budget so any of those promising? Or is there a better home remedy?:scratchinghead::snooze:

i use diotomaceous earth on top of soil for soil insects, it cuts them as they move through it. i bought my diotomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters.

i use diotomaceous earth on top of soil for soil insects, it cuts them as they move through it. i bought my diotomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters.

Awesome, i looked it up an found it at homedepot for $8-$10 a 4lb bag, pretty reasonable, so i sent the hubby for it. How much do you recommend i use on each plant?

Oops.. i just made my first rookie mistake.. i was checkin on the girls rotating them n what not, when my faulty setup failed me. They both fell over. Nevaeh is fine but squirt on the other hand.. was like humpty dumpty, i quickly but carefully put the soil back in her pot but her white root was fully exposed in the process. I got her sittin right again so now im playing the waiting game.. hope shes alright. Shed already behind cuz the first seed i planted. Died before it sprouted (shes a replacement)

Umm.. Help.. please.. just noticed 3 yellowish rust lookin spots on one leaf.. whats causing this and how do i fix it before it gets worse? Sry camera sucks, all i got.
IMG_20130724_175401.jpg
IMG_20130724_175233.jpg
IMG_20130724_175156.jpg

those spots could be the result of nutrient mixture from watering and are nothing serious to worry about, just be more careful when watering.

Thanks, well when i watered last night i had added superthrive, to see if it would help, hopefully i didnt f*ck up lol. I jus checked on her, hasnt gotten worse or better, so i think she gona be ok. I have a tendancy to freak over the tinyest things lol.

Back
Top Bottom