Small grow set up advice, please!

DaveyBoy

Hi all,

First post and would like to say a big hi to the 420 community and how nice it is to see such friendly and helpful people and admins.

I've been reading the grow bible and various other articles posted here and there, plus spoken to a relative who is growing, but would appreciate an assist with a couple of points of possible :)

I intend to do a small stealth grow using a Secret jardin 60 x 60 x 140 tent. For now I'm going to be using soil. Am fairly happy with what I need to do but want to check a few things I'm not sure about... why grow of I'm not going to get a good result, right?

I aim to grow 2-3 plants max at a time.

1) lights: given up on led as too expensive for now and was told that 150w then 400w for veg and flower respectively would be ok, if not awesome. Is this correct, and alternatively is it realistic or sensible to use compact fluorescents for veg (2 x 27 blue?) then a 400w hps with maybe a cfl red?

I don't need to maximize yield or spike my elec bill too much, but would like a "fair" or better crop of poss :)

2) How can I get nice sticky buds? I have a couple of white Russian clones but the grower I got them from doesn't seem too clued up... his buds looked hardly sticky at all... is this anything to do with humidity? He said his friend who did hydro had a good yield but even less sticky than his... obviously they're both going wrong somewhere, I'd not like to make the same mistakes if possible!

3) for such a small grow do I need to use CO2? I have (lol) a CO2 extinguisher... is it totally ridiculous to use it to give the odd shot of carbon dioxide?

4) Air pumps/fans/venting: any recommendations? is it really necessary for a small grow? If so, and I think it is, what might be accepptable with the sj tent?

5) Finally, active charcoal filtering with the fan, assuming fan required... worthwhile investment? am in a small appt block, don't take guests in v often due to busy work schedule, but don't want to risk stinking up the place and as grow tent will be in bedroom I don't want to go to the offfice in a suit that reeks of weed ;)

I did grow 7/8 females very big and healthy a few years ago outside, but had to cull them and compost as there was no way to bud them properly before the rains came and they ended up with bud rot :(

Will try and run a grow journal via mobile as para about IP being linked to something that could be used in evidence later :p

Thanks in advance, appreciate any help you pro's may offer

DaveyBoy

#3 you wont need it if you get bigger then maybe,#4 you need some fans to move air exhaust and charcoal filtering for when the plants start to bud and to vent the heat out cfls can get hot in a tent i run 14 23w cfls and gets hot in there with exhaust off and doors closed passive intakes open but if you can open the door during the day you can turn exhaust off and just let fans run

Grrrrr, smartphone posts do my brain in...

Thanks rd, was going to use 2 x Blue CFL Grow Light - 3C Hydroponics

and 2 x Red CFL Grow Light - 3C Hydroponics

The 125w chaps seem favourite, and the guide says red and blue at the same time are beneficial.

Was wondering whether a home msde filter with activated charcoal on the exit of the tent with something jury rigged from the inlet with a pc fan or desk fan?

Cheers,

DB

you cando that search the forums for diy filters just gotta have enough cfm to pull through the filter htg has a blower/filter combo for like 120.95 htg supply.com

Ok, found the search option after I'd been onto wiki answers and various other "googles"... dang.

Clicking the forum tab up top left, gives a drop down... search is obscured by the advertising banner on my browser, though :(

Still need to figure my light requirements out for the small space I have.

2 x blue and 2 x red 125w all the way, or 2 x blue and 1 x red for veg and 2 x red and 1 x blue for flower?

Have had a slight delay in getting my kit and not happy with my clones.

Yellowing leaves and curling suggest nutrient burn?

Unsure what soil was used and there are slow release plan food granules in it too.

Getting some Bio bizz to repeat later, I hope, but any suggestions before that?

Will try to add a pic, but out and about and can't link to Photobucket atm.

Didn't. They were already there when I got given them.

I bit the bullet and repotted them both in Bio Bizz and gave watered well with a smidgeon of Superthrive.

Was very unhappy about the slow release granules that were added before I was given the clones *shivers*

They're now in the closet with a 125w blue CFL for company, and 4 seedlings too.

Had on 24, but chucked on a timer to make 18/6.

Looking a bit happier but some nute burn still apparently :/

Still want to know what the general impression is on mixing red and blue light for growing and flowering.

Plan is now to up lights to 2 and 1 blue/red and then red/blue as gas been suggested bushier happier plants...?

Guy at hydro shop had never heard that, but not sure he was especially clue up.

Cheeky fooker even dissed my DIY reflector... *kills*

Gave up waiting a
nd made 3 bulb reflector with garden mesh, reflector foil and cable ties, plus a small length of wood.

not thay sexy but it's saved me around 80 pounds.

Question... in. 80 x 80 grow tent, do I need to run fan all day, or can I put on a timer to do 2hrs out of 6 or 8?

Trying to keep energy as low as possible

Here is some math for you to figure out!

CFM=LengthXwidthXheight. do that for your grow space that should tell you how much CFM you grow space has. You would run your fan 15min per hour would prob give u good results. Also as far as ur light requirements do LXW for grow space. You need 6000Lumens average per sq foot so 6K time your grow space will tell you how many lumens u will need. Look up Rosemans CFL tutorial and it teaches u about light requirements and much more :)

Cheers, am running the 3 x 125 watt Eco's and everything seems good, plants a lot happier.

Temp 25-28 c and 40-50 humidity seems ok.

Getting my brother to assist with a DIY fan controller, engineers ftw!

Back
Top Bottom