Some problems with my seedlings! Need some advice, please.

CannabisMeds

Ok, I need some help with some of my seedlings. They've been put through the ringer over the past week!

Here's the deal. I have 7 seedlings, between 1 and 2 weeks old. The oldest one is thriving, and I put her right away into a 1 gallon smart pot, and that's the best thing I've done so far.

The other six were started out in what now I believe to be too small containers. They were in the little 4 inch square pots, but they weren't very tall. Also, I didn't put any rocks at the bottom, because they were so small.

A number of bad things have happened to these little seedlings already. First, the 10 x 20 tray they were in tilted at one point and most of them took a little spill. Not too far, but they were jolted pretty good and lost some soil, etc. I'm thinking I did some root damage, so I figured they were stunted a bit.

The runt of the pack started turning yellow on the 'new' leaf growth. I'm not sure if this is due to shock or root damage, or something else. Then I started thinking, well, maybe they aren't getting enough light. I have all my plants, including a larger clone, under a 180watt UFO. I've decided that this light is a bit too flower spectrum for the veg stage, as my clone stretched a bit under it. So yesterday I ran out and purchased some CFLs and rigged them up over the seedlings so they could get some nice 6500k light.

Then, I had some temperature and humidity issues. I had to run a heater in the room they are in to prevent it from getting too cold, and I think it got too hot in there, and it also dried the air out quite a bit.

I tried putting the dome back over them, but then they were getting way too hot in there, plus, I was worried that the soil wouldn't dry out.

Finally, I decided today that they needed bigger containers with better drainage. So I carefully transplanted them into 6" square pots with lots of holes and rocks in the bottom, to provide better drainage and air.
Transplanting babies without many roots is very tricky. I lost some roots on a couple of them, when part of the soil broke off. So now I figure they are stunted again!

So, my main questions are: Should I get some sort of root stimulant additive?
( I had to water the small pots before transplant, but I didn't water after the transplant. I'm afraid of over watering now and root rot. ) How dry can they get before I water them again at this delicate stage?
Should I try to keep them covered?

Any thoughts on why the one seedling has such light green new growth? Any other advice? I really don't want to lose these seedlings!

Thank you so much. :Namaste:

hiya ,sorry i am no expert here but i can get your post bumped
i think we need to hear a few things from you
what kind of soil did you use? is it already fertilized?
how far away from the seedlings are you putting the light? you may have put it too close or too far
you say you used 4'' square pots, that is kind of tiny,do they stay drenched or are they getting to dry out some?
they need to dry quite a bit to allow oxygen in and let the root reach for moisture
are you adding nutes at all? you should not be at this early stage
is there anyway you can provide a picture?
im not familiar with the root stimulator, hopefully a veteran will chime in soon
just try to do less and watch more. i know that sounds counterproductive but if you change several things in short order it is harder to pinpoint what is needed.
good luck and take care

let them get dry,, it is easier to fix an underwater condition than an over water condition. And I would not add a root stimulant at this stage, Keep the plant in small pot until it is root bound, then go to larger pots.. Some people go right to a big pot but I was taught to go into 4 or 5 different pots through out. that way you get a good root ball, and when it goes to a bigger pot it loves it. as for keeping them covered, I only cover my clones to keep the humidity high till they have roots, then its out in the open air.

Hi Yuyo and go4snypr, thanks for the replies.

Yuyo, I'm using Fox Farms Ocean mixed with added perlite and vermiculite. I'm not really using any nutes, although on the one that is yellowing, I gave it a very very diluted mixture of my Roots Buddha Grow.

The seedlings were first under an LED light, but some were slightly farther away on the outside edge. A little over a foot, maybe 16-18" on some. They are now under 6500K CFLs mostly, 4 of them in a bank and they are about 4" to 5" away.

As for moisture, a couple of them had gotten really dry 4 or 5 days ago. I was in the process of trying to let them dry out, but I ended up having to water them yesterday in order to do the transplant, to hold the soil together. Normally I would have never transplanted this soon, but I just felt like they were struggling in these small pots.

Seedling update: This morning, 4 of them are looking more droopy than yesterday. Definitely in shock and maybe too much water for them at this point. Two others look healthier and are taking it in stride.

At this point, all I can do is watch. I'm going to try to be patient and let them dry out now for 2 or 3 days. Hopefully they will rebound in time.

Sounds like the consensus so far though is to not use any root stimulant.

Thanks again for the replies.

I don't grow in soil, but you could always add some mycorrhizae, or get some earth worm castings and sprinkle it on top of the soil. Both have beneficial bacteria and fungi in them they may help the rootz out a bit. I use the earth worm castings and the mycorrhizae in my NFT system by making a beneficial tea. If you add either or both I'd wait till it's time to water again add the stuff and then water.

I don't grow in soil, but you could always add some mycorrhizae, or get some earth worm castings and sprinkle it on top of the soil. Both have beneficial bacteria and fungi in them they may help the rootz out a bit. I use the earth worm castings and the mycorrhizae in my NFT system by making a beneficial tea. If you add either or both I'd wait till it's time to water again add the stuff and then water.

Thanks Gozgrow, I'll look up mycorrhizae!

These next few days are going to be brutal, waiting for the soil to dry out a bit and hoping these seedlings will pull through!

I've started a grow journal now and all of my pictures are in the first post. You can see the seedlings a couple of days ago, and how they look today, post heat shock and transplant shock. They're so droopy!

Hopefully they can hang on and make the comeback...

Back
Top Bottom