Starting Off From Seeds?

Geordie

Hi Guys,

Please dont think im lazy and not bothered to read all the useful info within the community but i would like to know some answers to specific to what i have.

So, i'm starting from seeds atm i have 5 white widow seeds Germinating in a cd cover with damp paper towels... I was wondering if i could skip this step and put the seeds straight into a heated propagator with some rockwool cubes?

I have had them sitting for almost 24 hours an im worried that maybe i have left them with the paper towel a little more damp than they should be, and not in the right room temp. I need to get this right as the seeds cost $50 or so and im a grower on a budget lol.

Look forward to your replys

Regards,
Geordie :thumb:

24 hrs is not long
whats the temps?
some people put it on the heating mat with the paper towel and have good results but again I say what are the temps?
I tried to use heating mat here but it gets too hot if your in a cold place it might actually help you
when its cold it doesn't want to sprout because in nature cold temp means winter and its programmed to not germinate until the temperature rises
but it depends on how hot
I say if your in the mid 70's to high70's leave it in the paper towel not all seeds will pop in 24 hrs
can take days
hope this helps and welcome to 420
also start a journal and people will follow and if you have questions theres tons of people here willing to help:thumb:

yea keep em warm i set mine on a small plate and cover with a dark cup then put them on my cpu or dvd player always seems to do well
you have to have soaked the towels pretty heavy to have overdone it, i mean nothing is dripping off them right?
they need air i think so i don't press the towel down tight but just a bit firm
i know what you mean though my first tries were bagseed and i was not worried a bit but with bought seeds i was a nervous wreck
take care and good luck

i highly doubt you ruined them, like cronic said it can take days
just keep em in the dark and dont let them get to chilled

Hi Geordie.

Just wanted to add another voice to those welcoming you to :420:!

To address your original question, there would be nothing wrong with sprouting your seeds (in the future) directly in your rock wool cubes or soil. However, since you've started in the paper towel and made a few recent adjustments I suggest you continue with that method for a bit longer.

I had a seed my first grow that after 4 days hadn't germinated in a paper towel so I stuck it in some soil while waiting on a replacement seed to germ in the towel. Two days later (just about the time the new seed germ'ed in the towel) I noticed the little seedling breaking the surface of the soil.

Be well and happy growing!

Ok thanks alot guys,

Ive just put them onto the heated propagator mate, it says its good enough for germinating seeds, though it be best because i think it will get very cold through the night. Hopefully i can post back some good news, and get a little more info as they crack open...

Just a quicky.... is a 200w CFL light to much for seedlings when i transfer them to rockwool cubes? Heres an image

2aienpt.png

After week 7 i will be changing to HID, but i dont have them at the moment

should be fine just don't put it too close cfl's can get pretty hot especially at 200 watts
its not one of those actual 100 watt putting out 200 is it?
also put your hand under there if its too hot for your hand itll be too hot for the seedlings just raise as necessary

as long as it doesn't burn you hand it isn't too close
wow 220-240
my stuff is running on 110 here

I hung my light lastnight and give it a little test iv got it about 28" above my propagator and it doesn't burn my hand so all good... I think everything runs on 220v over here or almost everything...

Well iv just checked on my seeds, been keeping the towels damp and on the heated mat... I think it's good news that I can see little tails popping out, so hopefully within the next 24/48 hours il be able to see the root tap. Is there anything I should look out for, or anything I should know when they are ready to be put into rock wool? Is there a specific time to move them or anything?

EDIT:

I have started off my Blog, where i will upload images... Look forward to all comments/support and info will be greatly appreciated as always :thumb: :thanks:

as big as that bulb is i am pretty sure the 200w is actual watts, you can do an internet search for your light
put in brand and wattage and should get specifics, look for actual watt and lumen output. the 6400 is kelvin number and is best for vegetation stage which you are in
that does not mean you cannot use it for flowering, but you will need some lower kelvin bulb or bulbs (2700-3000) later
i like to mix, i have 5 lower kelvin and 4 higher kelvin in use. those lights don't get too hot so you can most likely put them around
8 to 10 inches from the surface. as your little friend grows keep an eye on her and watch for stem length and leaf health (drying or discolorization) it should be fine,they have all they need for the first week or so,resist watering too much and once the first true leaves are bigger than the first rounded leaves you can move the light a little closer but easy does it,try small increments, a few inches or 4-5 centimeters is a lot to the lil one

as for your seeds you can put them in your medium as soon as you see little roots show i like to wait a bit
i let them get a couple of millimeters long and then with tweezers i carefully bury them between a centimeter or 2 centimeters deep with the root pointed down,cover them well and then i use a spray bottle and mist the top a bit to get the moisture up a bit and then just keep them around a warm area and wait, a few days later she will surface
hope this wasn't confusing and i will try to find your journal
good luck and take care

Hi Yuyo,

Thanks for that info buddy much appreciated, I think i will also wait a little bit for the roots on all to get a few mm longer. Will i apply the same method by placing the root face down in the rockwool cube? i dont have any grow medium in the form of soils etc, i just hope rockwool is enough for the time being. In the weeks to come i ill be using a home made hydroponics system and clay pellets.

A small recap on my next step, giving some of your info would be to...

Place the seeds root down, into the rockwool cube,
place them in my heated dome, with a few centimeters of water,
mist the cubes/seeds maybe even the top of the dome for extra moisture
and hopefully in a few days my little ladies should show.

Does this sound about right Yuyo? I have some rooting hormone aswell, i seen on a video that they put a little into the rockwool before adding a clipping.... Is it recommended for seeds also?

Thanks

yes sir ,i have not used rockwool so the amount of water is up in the air,go for moist but not stagnant,they will act the same as soil, gravity is her friend and don't worry about light distance til she breaks the surface, roots like it dark
as long as you don't drown her... nature will provide

I just used paper towel on plate on a heating pad 3 days ago. My heating pad got too hot though, almost 95 degrees. When I woke up, all my seeds had roots but the tips were brown and the paper towels were dry. I may have lost some seedlings, only time will tell.. I think I'll just put the plate on my DVR next time. Everything I've read says that you want roots to be 70-75.

oh wow i hope you can save them,yea 95 is too high =(,
i have always heard up to 80 is safe
did you cover the plate or even putting it in a ziploc bag can help them stay damp
good luck and take care

I just used paper towel on plate on a heating pad 3 days ago. My heating pad got too hot though, almost 95 degrees. When I woke up, all my seeds had roots but the tips were brown and the paper towels were dry. I may have lost some seedlings, only time will tell.. I think I'll just put the plate on my DVR next time. Everything I've read says that you want roots to be 70-75.

You could also just use a heated dome like the one pictured above. Once i put my seeds into the dome they popped within 24 hours, i started with them covered in a cd case with damp towels and had them in my wardrobe... Seen nothing happen probs due to the temprature being quite cold. I placed them in the heated dome and covered with a bowl to keep it nice and dark, i kept spraying the paper towels every 4/5 hours just to keep them nice and damp.

However next time i do seeds, i will just place them right in the rockwool cubes and add water to keep the dome nice and humid.

Good luck buddy =)

Back
Top Bottom