Stems turning purple

nascarjr1fan

Hey guys, what is the general rule of thumb for the stems turning purple? I'm trying to grow two plants right now. One of them just died on me and the other looked real good, until today. Now the second one is doing the same as the first. I'm growing in a home made bubbler. Below is a pic of the plant yesterday. Now the leaves are starting to lower and everything is turning purple. I'm using Dyno gro for nutrients. PH level has been 6.2-6.5 throughout entire grow. Was using flourecent lamp for starters, and now just switched over to 250 watt MH bulb, for vegging cycle.

Thanks in advance,

---D---

purple7.JPG

That could be a possibility. But I keep my apartment about 70-75 F all day and night. You don't think it also could be that damn straw I had around the stem? I had it on there to help hold the plant up, but now have it off. Also just changed the nutrients yesterday and added everything as per directions on the nutrient label.

Ok, now I understand. Yes I do have a prior post on the plant. The plant shown in this post isn't the one that was giving me the problems from the start. This one has been real good looking from start until now. The other one that just died on me, it only took two days before it went down, now this one is following. Just not sure what I did wrong. I really would like to grow succesfully one of these days.

Straw is off, water lever is set so roots are about 3 inches deep. Might not be getting enough air, due to the fact of the pots only have 3 small holes at the bottom. Do any of you think it could be the lava rocks too? Couldn't find where to vote for the contest, but some of those pics look bad ass.

I cut alot more holes in it. Also, I put both air stones right under the pot using a zip tie. Now it's bubbling constantly unlike before. I'm out for tonight. I'll check back with ya's in the morning. Appreciate the help bro!

some strains have naturally occuring colors. I have some papaya right now that are starting to get some pink color. Extremely healthy. I think maybe you are looking too deep into this one. I've also heard that cold makes them change color, but I've had plants roasting in 90 degree temps before and they still had color. The straw is definately not causing it, your main stalk looks week but thats probably because of your poor drainage that you just fixed. I recommend superthrive, your roots will explode and once your main stalk gets some thickness let a fan give it a good breeze, it will strengthen your branches. The airstones are money, excellent idea.

Again, I want to thank you guys for the help. The plant has took off and has seemed to double within the past few days. The main stem is almost a 1/4 inch thick and the leaves are now standing proud. I do have one other question. The leaves are starting to get a few red spots in them, does this mean anything?

---D---

Back
Top Bottom