Stephen Harper Accidentally Proves the Case for Legalized Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Michael Ignatieff shows he can relate to the kids these days:

"If I had to tell you as a parent or as someone who has spent his whole life working with young people, the last darn thing I want you to be doing is smoking marijuana," the federal Liberal leader said.

"I want you to be out there digging a well, digging a ditch, getting a job, raising a family ... doing stuff, instead of parking your life on the end of a marijuana cigarette."

Coincidentally, S-Harp was also trying to show he's down with the young ones by doing a YouTube interview and, wouldn't ya know it, the topic of marijuana cigarettes came up there as well. While Harper didn't come out for a national ditch digging program, he too was adamantly against pot legalization.

*sigh*

Remember when Canada was all set to decriminalize marijuana seven years ago? The Economist put the ***** with sunglasses on its cover and called us "cool." It made sense to most people, even stodgy old Senators and stodgy old writers — after all, criminalizing the stuff clearly wasn't curbing its use, and it's hard to enforce a law which, if properly enforced, would saddle millions of Canadians with a criminal record.

But for a variety of reasons, those plans went up in smoke. And judging from the comments above, it doesn't look like things will change any time soon. Which is a shame, because the current laws are asinine — the stuff should just be legalized outright.

Because once you legalize, you can tax and control it — you don't see a lot of rum runners these days, do you? You think we'd have learned our lesson from alcohol prohibition, but I guess not.

The arguments being put forward by our leaders are so weak, I have a hard time believing they actually believe what they're saying. First up, is Mr. Ignatieff:

Noting he likes an occasional drink and having a good time, Ignatieff didn't seem concerned if his anti-weed stance made him appear conservative.

"Given the things we need to do together [ed note: ditch digging?], that's what I think," he said, adding that legalizing marijuana would create problems in dealings with the U.S. because the drug would remain illegal there.

I won't even touch the "I like an occasional drink" comment, but when you consider the relative effects of alcohol and marijuana on human beings, well, that kind of tells you how we should be handling this issue.

As for his second point, over 20 states have gone ahead and decriminalized marijuana. And, as someone quite familiar with border crossings, I'm sure Michael is fully aware that you can still prevent legal items from crossing the border — so just treat marijuana like we treat oranges. Problem solved.

Harper, meanwhile, goes the emotional route in his YouTube interview:

I have to say young children, I guess they’re now … Ben and Rachel are now getting pretty close to 14 and 11, but maybe they’re not that young, but they are at the age where, you know, they will increasingly come into contact with drug use, and I guess as a parent, you know, this is the last thing I want to see for my kids or anyone else’s children.

Agreed. But the thing is, under the current prohibition system, Ben and Rachel are able to get marijuana. Easily. However, if we legalize it, you could ban sales to minors, just like we do now with non-marijuana cigarettes, or dozens of other things. I know some will say it's about sending a message that we don't condone it, but anyone who thinks teenagers will avoid something because it's condoned by society has never been a teenager.

But his heart is probably in the right place on that comment. So go on Mr. Prime Minister:
Now, I also want people to understand what we’re really talking about here when we’re talking about the drug trade. You know, when people say focus on violent crime instead of drugs, and yeah, you know, there’s lots of crimes a lot worse than, you know, casual use of marijuana. But when people are buying from the drug trade, they are not buying from their neighbour. They are buying from international cartels that are involved in unimaginable violence and intimidation and social disaster and catastrophe all across the world. All across the world.

And, with that, Stephen Harper gives the best argument I have ever heard in my life ... for legalizing marijuana. Because the second you legalize it and decide to sell it in LCBOs or licenced stores/restaurants/etc., you drive a stake through the heart of organized crime and drug cartels, both inside Canada and around the world. By controlling who sells it, you move the industry above ground and choke off a huge source of revenue from organized crime.

Maybe Iggy and Harper do believe the talking points they're dealing. But if they were being completely honest, I suspect their answer to the kids would go something like this: "Yeah, I don't have a problem with legalizing the stuff. It just makes sense. But let's be honest. The second the media and opposition gets wind of that, I'll be faced with daily questions, ridicule, attack ads, and 10-percenters on the subject. I'm sure legalization will happen one day — probably within your lifetime. But until enough of us old fogeys die off and the public attitude on this shifts enough, I'd be crazy to go near this one. Next question."

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: nationalpost.com
Author: Dan Arnold
Copyright: 2010 National Post Inc.
Website: Dan Arnold: Stephen Harper accidentally proves the case for legalized marijuana - Full Comment

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

The thing that really pisses me off about this is that out of the 10 top most asked questions (the top 10 most voted on), 8 of them were relating to Marijuana, decriminalization, and Marc Emery (only one for him, but still).

So this topic wasn't "a majority", it was THE majority, and P.M. Harper decided to bullshit his way through.

"Drugs are not bad because they are illegal, they are illegal because they are bad"...

What?!? He keeps talking about the children and how he wants to protect them. Then get drug dealers off the damn streets and weed in stores. Its so easy to get ANY drug its stupid, yet if you're underage its pretty difficult for most to get a steady supply of alcohol. Why? Because its regulated. Its easier to catch those who break the law when your targeting a small group vs.... everyone.

Stephen Harper, when the majority in a democratic system asks you to do something, grab your robotic balls and say "yes" to the people. The people who vote and should be running this country. You are a conduit of our wants and beliefs. Stop raping freedom.

The thing that really pisses me off about this is that out of the 10 top most asked questions (the top 10 most voted on), 8 of them were relating to Marijuana, decriminalization, and Marc Emery (only one for him, but still).

So this topic wasn't "a majority", it was THE majority, and P.M. Harper decided to bullshit his way through.

"Drugs are not bad because they are illegal, they are illegal because they are bad"...

What?!? He keeps talking about the children and how he wants to protect them. Then get drug dealers off the damn streets and weed in stores. Its so easy to get ANY drug its stupid, yet if you're underage its pretty difficult for most to get a steady supply of alcohol. Why? Because its regulated. Its easier to catch those who break the law when your targeting a small group vs.... everyone.

Stephen Harper, when the majority in a democratic system asks you to do something, grab your robotic balls and say "yes" to the people. The people who vote and should be running this country. You are a conduit of our wants and beliefs. Stop raping freedom.

Give em hell Flank!!! :roorrip:

Sounds like Canada has the same problem we do. If you really want to save the children... Stop the war on drugs and use those resources to focus on child molesters... This is the true danger to our children... Kids used to play in the neighborhoods not to long ago without being a Amber alert.. Show me the scientific facts against marijuana and maybe you will have a reason to be so misguided. Canada Like the US need to realize that their citizens are not a bunch of stupid apes and can judge for ourselves wither marijuana is safe... I feel more like American when I feel like I am a Free Man... :peacetwo:

The war on cannabis will soon be over.
sooner than the war in Iraq anyways thats for sure.
i mean look how far we have come.
the people are actually listening to us "pot smokers" and our government is finally realizing were never going to stop doing what we love.
knowledge is power so lets get the word out!!
Vote YES for tax & regulate 2010 later on this year in Cali

Shrug, if CA legalizes, it will be the bullet that is heard around the rest of the world. I think Canada will have a much hard time saying no to pot after that :Rasta:.

I have to say young children, I guess they're now ... Ben and Rachel are now getting pretty close to 14 and 11, but maybe they're not that young, but they are at the age where, you know, they will increasingly come into contact with drug use, and I guess as a parent, you know, this is the last thing I want to see for my kids or anyone else's children.

Mr Harper, you. Your father. Your Grandfather. And his father before that all proclaimed the same bullshit and when you in March of 2010 try to be cool and go on the internet to answer the nations questions what happens? You get bombarded with questions on legalizing pot. One can only hope your Ben. like many kids don't listen to your BS, and hopefully by the time he or his peers are ready for office they aren't repeating the same crap!

Now, I also want people to understand what we're really talking about here when we're talking about the drug trade. You know, when people say focus on violent crime instead of drugs, and yeah, you know, there's lots of crimes a lot worse than, you know, casual use of marijuana. But when people are buying from the drug trade, they are not buying from their neighbour. They are buying from international cartels that are involved in unimaginable violence and intimidation and social disaster and catastrophe all across the world. All across the world.

Really Mr. Harper. And Mr Harper, which cartel sells a proven worse drug like Liquor in Canada? And Mr Harper, when your Ben and Rachel want to by booze from this cartel, who sells them that booze. You know the answer is no one sir. You know if a kid wants liquor in this country he has to steal it from daddy's liquor cabinet or get someone of age to go visit the cartel. But tell us Mr. Harper, which drug cartel tells the Ben and Rachel's of this world that they aren't old enough and refuse to sell them the drugs? And even with the Government run Liquor cartel Mr. Harper, and despite the fact that the Liquor stores are closed at this hour, If I choose to start drinking at the moment I can easily make a call and have it delivered to my door by more then one person!

Get out and vote people. It's the only reason idiots like this stay in power.

User, this made jump up and shout. i'm gonna share it with my friends. and people who need to see this. so many people need to see this...

Shrug, if CA legalizes, it will be the bullet that is heard around the rest of the world. I think Canada will have a much hard time saying no to pot after that :Rasta:.

I agree. When prohibition ended in the U.S., there where places up here in Canada still dry for a log time after. Sooner or later we follow the U.S. on big things, yet often we lead them. A good example is we have a federal program for medical Cannabis (flawed as it is...) but it is at the federal level. Herding cats is easier than getting all the states to agree on something. Oh , right, Obama just pushed through a bill...

I agree. When prohibition ended in the U.S., there where places up here in Canada still dry for a log time after. Sooner or later we follow the U.S. on big things, yet often we lead them. A good example is we have a federal program for medical Cannabis (flawed as it is...) but it is at the federal level. Herding cats is easier than getting all the states to agree on something. Oh , right, Obama just pushed through a bill...

Our program is not flawed if you are a category 1 or 2 patient patient whose Dr/Dr's fill out the form for you get your licence to use., grow if you like choose the designated grower of your choice or purchase from them if your into schwag.

The only real problem with our medical marijuana program is it is understaffed and as a result they have to delay peoples applications and misplace pages and what not to create time to process our Licences but the fact remains once you have a Dr's signature in the right place or places you have your licence and Health Canada cannot refuse to issue it nor can they refuse to issue our licence to produce they can only refuse to issue a designated grower licence if your designated grower has been convicted of a offence for trafficking or the like.

Our program is not flawed if you are a category 1 or 2 patient patient whose Dr/Dr's fill out the form for you get your licence to use., grow if you like choose the designated grower of your choice or purchase from them if your into schwag.

The only real problem with our medical marijuana program is it is understaffed and as a result they have to delay peoples applications and misplace pages and what not to create time to process our Licences but the fact remains once you have a Dr's signature in the right place or places you have your licence and Health Canada cannot refuse to issue it nor can they refuse to issue our licence to produce they can only refuse to issue a designated grower licence if your designated grower has been convicted of a offence for trafficking or the like.

I am a Cat 1, and I still say the system is flawed in many ways. It does not allow for the freedom to form collectives legally. I am under threat EVERY SINGLE DAY of getting my door kicked in and having my plants stolen when I am growing or just consuming my medicine in my house. It does get very stinky. There are no safe places to smoke outside my house. Other than a few brave souls who set up the Vapour Central in Toronto, I do not know of any safe place I can go smoke. Once it is legal for everyone, I will not have to worry much then. There are other flaws in the law, but I do not feel like writing for hours. If you do not see the flaws, I guess you never got taught law in school. The actual law as it is written has been forced to be re-written more than once for being unconstitutional.

Well other then the ability to form a legal co-op most of your concerns are more a problem with cannabis laws in general not a problem in the mmj program. Or at least they seem to be to me

I am a Cat 1, and I still say the system is flawed in many ways. It does not allow for the freedom to form collectives legally. I am under threat EVERY SINGLE DAY of getting my door kicked in and having my plants stolen when I am growing or just consuming my medicine in my house. It does get very stinky. There are no safe places to smoke outside my house. Other than a few brave souls who set up the Vapour Central in Toronto, I do not know of any safe place I can go smoke. Once it is legal for everyone, I will not have to worry much then. There are other flaws in the law, but I do not feel like writing for hours. If you do not see the flaws, I guess you never got taught law in school. The actual law as it is written has been forced to be re-written more than once for being unconstitutional.

Hey Mike...talk to the guys at the Central...there's actually at least 5 vape lounges in TO I believe. I kind of know how they do it a bit but god love them they have payed a price for being open. I believe this is one of them....Clan Destiny | The hottest new music group to come out of Montreal.

A posters response from his Conservative MP

Dear Mr. %&%$@!,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Bill C-15. I trust the following will help to clarify the Government's position on this matter.

On February 27, 2009 — The Government of Canada re-introduced legislation providing mandatory minimum prison sentences for serious drug crimes. The bill would establish mandatory jail time for those who produce and sell illegal drugs. This Government is taking the necessary steps to crack down on crime and to ensure the safety and security of our neighbourhoods and communities.

The proposed amendments to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA) would impose mandatory jail time for producing and selling illegal drugs. This legislation calls for special penalties to be imposed when offences are carried out for organized crime purposes or if they target youth.

The amendments to the CDSA would include the provision of:

· a one-year mandatory prison sentence for dealing drugs such as marijuana, when carried out for organized crime purposes or when a weapon or violence is involved;

· a two-year mandatory prison sentence for dealing drugs such as *******, ****** or ***************s to youth, or for dealing those drugs near a school or in an area normally frequented by youth;

· a two-year mandatory prison sentence for the offence of running a large marijuana grow operation involving at least 500 plants;

· increased maximum penalties for cannabis production from 7 years to 14 years imprisonment; and,

· tougher penalties for trafficking GHB and flunitrazepam, most commonly known as date-rape drugs.

The proposed legislation would allow a Drug Treatment Court to suspend a sentence while the addicted accused person takes an approved treatment program. Drug Treatment Courts encourage the accused person to deal with the addiction that motivates their criminal behaviour. If the person successfully completes the program, the court normally imposes a suspended or reduced sentence. These courts include a blend of judicial supervision, incentives for reduced drug use, social services support, and sanctions for non-compliance.

"These measures are a proportionate and measured response designed to disrupt criminal enterprise; drug producers and dealers who threaten the safety of our communities must face tougher penalties," said Minister Nicholson. "Our message to potential offenders is clear: if you sell or produce drugs, you will face jail time."

The proposed legislation would allow a Drug Treatment Court (DTC) to suspend the imposition of a sentence while the addicted accused person takes an approved treatment program. Drug Treatment Courts encourage the accused person to deal with the addiction that motivates their criminal behaviour. If the person successfully completes the program, the court normally imposes a suspended or reduced sentence.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond to you on this issue.

Sincerely,

$^%$^^% %^&*&^, MP

Back
Top Bottom