Sun reflectors good or bad idea?

Dboybakr

I know many growers use reflective film on indoor plants, and it seems to work great. Would it be safe on outdoor plants?
Heres what i got outside.

420-magazine-mobile1964732366.jpg

I was thinking of laying some reflective film (or a window sunshield) flat on the ground, around the base of each plant. Each piece being 2-3 feet diameter. Then the sunlight will reflect back up from under the plants, giving more sunlight to more of the plant.
Ive heard of people doing this but ive never seen it done. My biggest worry is it getting too hot and frying my plants. I live in sacramento, CA and from now until the end of Sept. our weather is very hot and very sunny.
So "good idea" or "bad idea" using reflective film on my outdoor grow?

I know many growers use reflective film on indoor plants, and it seems to work great. Would it be safe on outdoor plants?
Heres what i got outside.

420-magazine-mobile1964732366.jpg

I was thinking of laying some reflective film (or a window sunshield) flat on the ground, around the base of each plant. Each piece being 2-3 feet diameter. Then the sunlight will reflect back up from under the plants, giving more sunlight to more of the plant.
Ive heard of people doing this but ive never seen it done. My biggest worry is it getting too hot and frying my plants. I live in sacramento, CA and from now until the end of Sept. our weather is very hot and very sunny.
So "good idea" or "bad idea" using reflective film on my outdoor grow?

Hey mate,

I use reflecting panels for some outdoor plants in Australia, they love it ! Whenever I have reflecting panels around my plants, I always picture those penguins on Madagascar tanning on the beach... If the plants can handle the direct sun, they can take the suns reflection .
Works well and maximises day light hours, but it will be more obvious that you have a weed garden there from air.

Nice plot! Would love to go to Cali, are you guys still allowed 99 plants??!

After seeing how much my indoor grow cost over the past two months, free light sounds even better than ever.

Why not give your idea a try and then monitor how it's going very closely. (You could even start with just one plant.)

I would think that a half-column, parabolic reflector (a curved piece of reflective material oriented vertically) place immediately north of each plant could be a big help.

And bear in mind that reflectors don't have to have a metallic surface. White paint or any clean white surface can reflect 90+% of the light that hits it.

Hey mate,

I use reflecting panels for some outdoor plants in Australia, they love it ! Whenever I have reflecting panels around my plants, I always picture those penguins on Madagascar tanning on the beach... If the plants can handle the direct sun, they can take the suns reflection .
Works well and maximises day light hours, but it will be more obvious that you have a weed garden there from air.

Nice plot! Would love to go to Cali, are you guys still allowed 99 plants??!
Thanks for the advice and compliment. Im actually a newbie grower. Not bad for just my second grow huh? Lol
You're probably right, the plants should do fine. It does make sense if they can handle the sunlight then the reflectors shouldnt be too much. Being new though Im always nervous that everything will hurt them. Lol

The 99 plants. Are you referring to growing medical marijauna? Because we just legalized recreational use of marijuana in CA. Now if someone is growing medical marijuana or growing for commercial sales, i dont think theres a limit on the number of plants allowed, i may be wrong though. This actually wont take affect until 2018 so I guess 99 plants will still be the limit for the time being. Lol.
Personal use is legal already though. Since november 2016 we can legally grow 6 plants for personal use without any licesnse or permit.

After seeing how much my indoor grow cost over the past two months, free light sounds even better than ever.

Why not give your idea a try and then monitor how it's going very closely. (You could even start with just one plant.)

I would think that a half-column, parabolic reflector (a curved piece of reflective material oriented vertically) place immediately north of each plant could be a big help.

And bear in mind that reflectors don't have to have a metallic surface. White paint or any clean white surface can reflect 90+% of the light that hits it.
Lol. I had the same idea. I put a reflector under just one of them for now. To see how it does.
I have one plant thats a lot slower/smaller than all the other ones. I call it the runt. Lol
Its a healthy plant it just grows slow. Its hard to see in the pic but its the upper right plant.

420-magazine-mobile1967064318.jpg

I put a reflector on that little runt. It got too dark outside too take a pic after. Ill take a pic tomorrow and post it to show what i did. Its nothing elaborate though.

Thanks for the advice and compliment. Im actually a newbie grower. Not bad for just my second grow huh? Lol
You're probably right, the plants should do fine. It does make sense if they can handle the sunlight then the reflectors shouldnt be too much. Being new though Im always nervous that everything will hurt them. Lol

The 99 plants. Are you referring to growing medical marijauna? Because we just legalized recreational use of marijuana in CA. Now if someone is growing medical marijuana or growing for commercial sales, i dont think theres a limit on the number of plants allowed, i may be wrong though. This actually wont take affect until 2018 so I guess 99 plants will still be the limit for the time being. Lol.
Personal use is legal already though. Since november 2016 we can legally grow 6 plants for personal use without any licesnse or permit.

That's awesome, if only the rest of the world would catch up!
It makes sense to be mindful of everything, I wouldn't stop doing that! The underside of the leaves might be a little more tender, but like when training the plants, they will just adapt.
Keep an eye out for leaf change (curling, looking like a taco) this may indicate its stressed by outdoor light / heat. A good outdoor plants leaves should almost look they're "praying" to the sun, with arms extended. Check them before first light, then at midday, it has a bit of a sunflower effect .

Back
Top Bottom