Supplementing dwc bucket with pure O2

Corncob

I've read here and there, about others using an oxygen concentrator (in addition) with their air stone. Upon my vast (20 minutes through Google) look into this, I've not seen a single person document the use of an oxygen concentrator for hydroponic use.

A little info on what an oxygen concentrator does. I'm not gonna post some long winded article, but I'll break it down as simple as possible. If you would like to know more, please, by all means, do a bit of research.

This machine, roughly 10"Lx12"Wx18"T, takes ambient air, removes everything EXCEPT oxygen. It's then delivered through a small tube. It is also adjustable in L/m (liters per minute). Most concentrators will go up to 5 l/m, but I also know there are units that go up to 10.

Now, some people have said,

"isn't an air stone enough?
Yes it's enough, but diffused O2 isn't what is trying to be accomplished with the oxygen concentrator. Yes, it will bubble in the bucket, but that's to be expected.

Isn't there a enough dissolved oxygen in the water already?
Here is where I believe people are misunderstanding why the con (concentrator) is being used. The diffused oxygen in ambient air, is being delivered through my air pump, at a rate of 20.9%. This is how much oxygen is in the air we all breathe. I am now delivering oxygen at a rate of 95% into the bucket. That's over 4x the amount of oxygen that a normal pump delivers.

Btw, I have an O2 meter to read levels in the room, to make sure it hasn't reached explosive limits, and my room is still at the 20.9 ambient O2 saturation.

Thanks for allowing me to share, let's have a discussion if there's one to be had.

Water can only hold so much o2 at a given pressure.

If you have a air-stone and are running a good pump.

It should most likely be maxing out how much the water can hold

I run air stones and pump that uses 3/16" tubing, so the volume of air that comes out is enormous compared to air stones and pumps that use 1/8" hose. That makes a difference. My root ball is so massive that it chokes out small air stones. But these 8" round big ones are perfect.

Couldn't it choke out the plant's CO2 if your O2 stone is directly underneath the plant?

If you are asking me, I don't use O2. I was talking about using a bigger air pump and bigger air stones as it pushes more air out.

I definitely am on board with that. Bigger pump=more oxygen even if it's only 20% concentration in the atmosphere. I always had night and day results between nice commercial pumps and the little activeaquas that seem to be less than half as strong. My question was directed at corncob.

Back
Top Bottom