Switching to LED - Can't decide what company to choose

The cree panels are overpriced , reltively to the epistar panels which can be had for a few hundred.

I am using epistar chip panels with success , I payed $375 for three panels that total at the wall 525 watts.

It works out to something like 64 cents a watt

I usally keep the panels on a Angle but have them in a level position in the Photo

october_14_021.JPG

also I keep the panel at about 12 inches from the plants although the photo show them being higher.

6_weeks_defol_wired_open_005.JPG

this is a recent pic they will be ready in about 3 - 4 weeks.

After having relatively good success with a non-sponsored 75 watt UFO with an actual draw of 50 watts I just pulled the trigger on three of the 60 LED Mars 300 watt panels which should be here today. The reviews and price were ultimately what led me to that model, with a carbon scrubber I got them shipped for $320. They'll replace the three UFOs currently in my cabinet

If you spend some time researching LED grow lights and companies, ebay, alibaba, forums etc....you will notice that many grow lights look the same.

There are not that many makers of actual LEDs, I know from the top of my head Epistar, Bridgelux, Cree.

Common sense says that ALL those lights which look the same use either one of those types of LEDs and that no light does something magically "better" compared to some other light. The difference then is in the features (like a Veg/Bloom switch), quality of manufacturing, warranty etc.

So..and if you have a bunch of companies whose lights sort-of look and perform the same, I chose MarsHydro because there are persons here on the forum you can talk to, I know they stock in Europe and US (so the lights are not shipped from China)..rather than buying a light from an unknown company. So this was why I went with Mars Hydro. Also, I don't trust many of the other companies and their claims, some are deceiving people with false exaggerated specs. When you buy a light from an unknown company XYZ which claims a light has XYZ lumens/PAR/watts etc...how do you know this is actually true? Since many do have Mars Hydro lights you can be sort-of sure that the numbers are right because folks who have them can measure stuff themselves...so, say, if MarsHydro would sell a light where they say it has 20.000lm (or Watts or whatever) but in reality it has far less we would KNOW this since there would be folks posting about it and complaining on the forum, right?

A $1000 LED panel will not make your crops as large or beautiful as a talented grower with a lower wattage cheaper light.

~~~~~~~~

I have read People complaining that their LED lights are killing their plants... that LED lights do not work and that the 10 band lights are particularly impossible to grow with.

I am using 10 band lights with great success.

It seems that some people blame their lack of talent or inability to follow simple directions on the LED panels.
but Magically if these same people make themselves a cheap DIY LED light they have success.
When its really success at following someones directions , finally.

The cheap 100x 3w LED panels work surprisingly well and are exceedingly affordable.

Moral of the story , it not the light its the grower or lack there of.

:hookah: Time

I guess it comes down to budget , if I had a big budget I would have bought much better lights

Since I'm a somewhat poor mf after research I choose the $100 Mars eBay panels.

As my harvest approaches I could not be happier with them :thumb:

I have a Record breaking sized Auto plant that may well produce over 8 oz of Bud currently under the cheapo panels.

Back
Top Bottom