Temporary irrigation system.

Ganglion

HI!

I'm about to start growing four swiss cheese plants under CFLs, but I have a problem; there will be two periods of 2 weeks where I am away and no one will be in to water my plants. Would a system like this work, or does anyone have a better one?

Water3.jpg

I'm starting the grow some time next week and making a diary, so if you want you can look out for it. :D

Thanks, Ganglion.

:Rasta:

Just from the diagram, once the siphon action starts, the saucer will overflow. Sorry I don't have any other easy suggestions right now.

I think in theory the top rim of the saucer under the plant should be higher than the top rim of the chicken feeder, but the bottom of the siphon tube should be lower than the bottom of the chicken feeder reservoir. With those things in place I think the water will keep feeding. You could test it. I don't know what two weeks of wet feet will do to your plants. There might be a lack of oxygen in the root zone (think about bubble-ponics). If the roots aren't down that far and the water wicks up into your growing medium it might just work.

Yeah good for you. My reference to bubble-ponics was just to note that when roots are in water extra oxygen is necessary. Sorry, bad communication. I wonder if a little hydrogen peroxide in the water would help (H2O2 - water with an extra oxygen atom). I don't know how much is safe but you can probably find that info on this site.

I've heard of people using H2O2 for pest control as well as adding oxygen to the roots. I think I'll ask my biology teacher how much is safe for plants, she can normaly answer that sort of stuff. It seems pretty cheep so I'll definately look into that. I'm gonna use rain water for now (and if I mix with hydrogen peroxide) which is oxygen rich anyway.

Thanks again and +reps.

you can try a water pump (garden section of ace or home depot) on a plug in the wall style timer, play with it before you leave to get the times down, may cost 30 or 40 bucks,depending on how big the plnts are you will need some kind of reservoir to hold your nute water, thats another option anyhow, peace!

^^and put the plants in a tray of some sort to catch any overflow in case of some glitch

Back
Top Bottom