Ten weeks in South Africa - Tourist's perspective on Cannabis

nice, writing style Dana kept me entertained the whole time ive been thinking about running a couple SA in my next crop gotta get the Swazi.

Quality Bud is Usually hard to come by in South Africa, however it is available..
You need to be talking to the right people.
Normally the host of a backpackers could probably help you out with something to smoke.

Theres also a Heashop in South Africa called Green Smoke Room be sure to check it out. their url is : OFFICIAL Green Smoke Room - Home |

Hope this helps future visitors!

Although I do not think the original poster is still posting here (based on the date of the original post and post count) I thought the story was very interesting. I love stories about people traveling around the world and their cannabis stories.

I have only been one place in all of Africa, and that was Mumbasa Kenya and that was in the 80s. At the time I was there I was not very pleased with the MJ. It was low quality, brown and full of seeds. It reminded me a bit of bad Mexican weed. However, I had some very fine hash there. It was wrapped in a gold foil and had a stamp in it.

The Malawi you smoked is strung up and then placed in the ground for about 2 weeks, this is why it is so dry and has a sandy flavour!! For us locals the name durban poison only means one thing (jut- word used to describe low quality dagga) :

Eta, this article was written about 15-20 years ago. Sadly we are loosing the likes of malawi cobs and durban poison, Durban is definitely not majut. Just is a slang term for ditchweed, side road weed, township weed. Although in townships you will find some of the best. The malawi cob is actually buried in the ground, hence the earthy taste. Enjoy your local, it is some of the best sativa.

WOW this was nice to read....

Saw SO many South African :420: users here....sad to find that most of them don't come around any more.

COME ON SA let's Represent on :420: i wanna see all of the South African users come out of the woodwork here!!!

Happy grow and Smoke to ALL!!!

:adore: :420:

SmokinMoose i used to get some of landrace strains which were brought down from swaziland, this is back in the day, usually just getting the Swazi strain or a Crossbreed with rooibaard which is called Swazi Red as u might know? Alot of the people down there are quite unsure how to cultivate buds, harvest them & dry them also i dont think they have a clue about curing, these buds have usually been touched alot by human hands which i think reduces the potency alot, cbd's & cbn's are also very present in them as i used 2 get stoned and very tired from a pure landrace sativa? Just like sky high i get myself indoor and outdoor from sum1 i know who grows, he gets alot of strains as in indoor blueberry,ak47, red devil, white widow,etc.. He always has a good supply of sum good smoke His outdoor is quite tasty such as Mango and californian orange. Personally if you buying off the street here, be sure to be ripped off with sum cheap grade swazi or jut as skyhigh said, JUT is the lowest grade ull find most of the times ull find more seeds and sticks than leaves, this is no joke, sum people smoke this, Lets just say JUT is the highest grade of CRAP. =)

I am looking for landrace sativas from Africa. Any leads on how I can get seeds of a wide variety of genes?

I am looking for landrace sativas from Africa. Any leads on how I can get seeds of a wide variety of genes?

Don't know about how wide the variety is that you are looking for but About Nguni Seeds | Nguni Seeds: Africa's finest cannabis genetics sells South African landrace seeds such as Durban Poison, Malawi Gold and Swazi Rooibaart. Yes, the very best SA has to offer :bravo: Its a local site so I don't actually know if they ship overseas but you could try contact them and see. Maybe worth a go?

Hey there fellow stoners and smoke lovers.

I'm also a stoner from sunny South Africa, there is some good quality bud out here but you gotta be connected. Guys usually smoke Swazi (which comes from Swaziland, hence the name), Skunk, local weed aka '"Jut" or "Majat". Proper Durban Poison is hard to come by but when you do get the right stuff its a wicked high. I travel around Africa for work and have smoked in countries such as Mozambique, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Namibia. Most of the bud is outdoor, some good, some great.

Stoners from SA, please get in touch with me?
Sharp

I'm also a stoner from sunny South Africa, there is some good quality bud out here but you gotta be connected. Guys usually smoke Swazi (which comes from Swaziland, hence the name), Skunk, local weed aka '"Jut" or "Majat". Proper Durban Poison is hard to come by but when you do get the right stuff its a wicked high. I travel around Africa for work and have smoked in countries such as Mozambique, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Namibia. Most of the bud is outdoor, some good, some great.

Sharp

Nommer bru :lot-o-toke:

Yeah, umm dude. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. But Majat in South Africa is the cheapest weed you can get. It's basically grown in your garden. We used to buy "matchboxes" for about ZAR5 (about $0.50). But access to very good stuff was easily available, and in contrst to what is costs in Europe and the US.. Non hydroponic or any chem shit, about the best was Swazi Gold.

Sharp

Yo fellow South African,joined last week...SWAZI..tell mme you have seeds bru?the original SWAZI no mixed strain,no silcone implants...just the way she was born:) Just harvested my first crop of unknown strains...

South African Strains

Most of the lowest quality Jut or Majut that you buy on the streets has an amazing stable lineage of unhybridized acclimatized heterozygous genetics. Skilled growers and breeders can assess these plants for usefulness and after a few generations working on a line, cleaning it up of any negative traits, can produce something amazing. I bet nearly all the south africans here have smoked a really good local sativa weed that sent them off on a space trip. Its just that that kind of weed doesnt come around too often, very hard to get hold of. With line breeding you increase the chance of those types of phenotypes to occur. Some of the best weed in the world that formed the building blocks of modern weed today like skunk and haze was bred this way from less desirable plants.

Moral of the story is - keep your bag seeds in a jar in the fridge. You never know when you might want them in the future when all the landrace weed is polluted with western genetics.

Back
Top Bottom